Victorinox C-Cell

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, this is my first post...

I just ordered the victorinox C-cell flashlight. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience-good or bad-with it?

radu1976

Enlightened
I had one last year but I've sold it a few days after I got it.
Too bulky, it wasn't bright at all, my INOVA XO3 TIROS clearly outhrows that light.
But if you're looking for a long runtime light, you may like it. I didn't do it AT ALL !

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these and I think it is a great light. It is not going to burn holes through the darkness, but it is bright enough for most tasks around the house and yard. It is also the best made 2C light I own. I wish there was more 2C lights to choose from! If you can find one, Target sells a light this size that is made by River Rock. It says Nightfire on the package and claims 135 lumens. It is a bit brighter than the Victorinox, but not made as well. The Victorinox is actually made by Inova here in the US.

Mike

Newly Enlightened
Hey, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to it's arrival. I'm guessing that its about 100-115 lumens?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Hey, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to it's arrival. I'm guessing that its about 100-115 lumens?
That depends on the LED and how hard it is driven.

Going by what mikekoz posted and that it takes 4x the light for one light to seem 2x as bright as another, I'm guessing the output to be between 60 and 90 lumen. This is just a guess.

:welcome:

Newly Enlightened
Just an update...

I received the light and it's perfect for what I wanted. I would guess that its somewhere between 80-100 lumens. The only thing that I don't like about it is the plastic lens.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like it! I use mine all the time. How can you tell the lens is plastic by the way?? I have gently tapped it and it seemed pretty solid.

Mike

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't be surprised if some are plastic and some are glass. Mine definitely seems like plastic.

The threading on the head felt a little rough so I added teflon tape(which I do to almost every flashlight)to the tops of the threads and I put silicone on the o rings. After those few adjustments its perfect. The beam is perfect for using inside the house, any brighter would be too much for my eyes in the middle of the night. The light level is just right.

Radiophile

Enlightened
What kind of beam do they throw? I understand that the head twists for on/off, does it also focus? From reading earlier in the thread I gather that it's not as bright as other 2C flashlights out there, but is the tint and pattern good? Is the LED a Luxeon III?

The 2C format is great and I would think that there would be more options out there. I currently have the LTF2C, AAP2C, and RR Nightfire 2C so this would be my fourth 2C LED light.

I have this light's 2AA brother and think it's extremely well made and surprisingly bright given the comments about it that I've read on the forum.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of beam do they throw? I understand that the head twists for on/off, does it also focus? From reading earlier in the thread I gather that it's not as bright as other 2C flashlights out there, but is the tint and pattern good? Is the LED a Luxeon III?

The 2C format is great and I would think that there would be more options out there. I currently have the LTF2C, AAP2C, and RR Nightfire 2C so this would be my fourth 2C LED light.

I have this light's 2AA brother and think it's extremely well made and surprisingly bright given the comments about it that I've read on the forum.

The beam is similar to the RR, although it is not quite as bright. I would say it has the same mixture of throw and flood, leaning towards flood. Like the RR, it is a very good light for around the house, indoors and out. The Victorinox is, to me at least, made better than the RR physically. The body of the light has a good grip or knurling, where the RR is fairly slick (I removed the rubber grip from my old Task Force C light, the Lux version, and was able to slide it over the RR! Looks and works great by the way:twothumbs). Ok, back to the Victorinox! It is made by Inova, so it has the solid "Inova" feel! I believe there is a Lux 3 in this thing, but I am not too concerned about that. It has a nice smooth beam with little to no artifacts. Tint on mine is also comparable to the RR. Hope this helps!

Mike

Radiophile

Enlightened
Thanks Mike! I ordered one this afternoon while I was ordering a knife listed in the deals section. I figured for $25, knowing it's made by Inova and knowing it's fairly easy to get at the LED in the 2AA I'd take the chance. Now I'm looking forward to it arriving.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have two of the 2AA Victorinox lights and they are indeed well built. You might encounter the "Luxeon lottery" when you receive your 2C version. My two 2AA lights have different color tints. One is creamy white and the other has a bluish tint.

I used to have a 2AAA version -- well built, but it was dimmer than I expected.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have two of the 2AA Victorinox lights and they are indeed well built.

I had two of the same light, and they were horrible! Not in terms of tint, but in terms of quality. Bought one at a B&M shop. Threads were bone dry! Head got hopelessly stuck.... Ended up tossing it down a sewer.

Bought another one because I thought I had gotten a rare lemon. Nope! Same problem again! Went around the corner to a pharmacy, bought some Vasoline. (This was before I knew better). Ever so carefully, I gently started twisting the head and applying a bit of lube. Twist it back down, then start all over again. Eventually, I got the head off. Batteries were dead. (Not like you can unscrew the tailcap to replace the cells on that particular model).

Upon closer examination, the threads were uneven. I can still feel it every time I unscrew the head. And the threads were so sharp, that they were cutting slivers off the O-ring.

It's amazing to me that Inova's parent company makes the Vic line of lights. You don't expect a company known for quality, to produce such a **** poor light. :thumbsdow

Last edited:

Radiophile

Enlightened
You might encounter the "Luxeon lottery" when you receive your 2C version. My two 2AA lights have different color tints. One is creamy white and the other has a bluish tint.

My 2AA is bright and very white - as close to perfectly white as any LED I own. I hope the 2C is the same, but if it isn't and it's as easy to get to the LED as the 2AA, I'll change to a Seoul.

As I wrote before, it's very well made. When I took apart the head to look at the LED, even the O-rings in the head were well lubricated. Outstanding construction.

Bob - I've enjoyed your writing for years! Great to see you here.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
About two years ago I purchased a new 2C Vic for an unbelievable $22.50. For that price it was a steal and one of the nicest looking and handling lights I own. The full body knurling is my idea of perfection; it's just right for me.

The down side is the one-watt Lux was outdated even then as far as brightness goes. None the less, it's a tough, but beautiful light and features a small 2C size body which fits my hands nicely.

IMHO this is one pretty body, perfectly machined and would make a good mod host.

fbf350

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

New here as well.

I'm also interested in the V2C light as well, but I'm a little confused. In several places I've seen it stated that the V2C uses a 1-watt Lux led. However, the mfg (V) lists the output at 5.8-watts, with a 3.5 hr run time. 3.5 hrs seems short for a 1-watt. Seems correct for a 5 watt. Has this light been updated this year, or is this some very creative marketing (read lies).

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/Victorinox_C_Cell_LED_Flashlight_p/sav2cled.htm

For what its' worth, the V2A (2AA) model lists 4.8-watt output.