Led Night Lights

CiTY

Enlightened
Just picked up a set of 3 Led night lights from Costco up in MA-USA. "Millennium Series Led Night/Utility lights"
-2 Super bright white leds
-Dusk to dawn photo cell
-360 degree rotation
-compact design
-energy saving
All the info from the packaging. The rating on the lights say, 1.2W, 10ma. Made in China-no surprise. 3 for $7.97. From initial impressions, it's not as bright as a ARC-AAA. Has anybody seen these yet?

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I have bought some also in California about a month ago. I don't think they are susposed to be as bright as the ARC. At night with adjusted eyes I think they are just right for a nightlight--not too dim, not too bright. I use one to light the sink in my bathroom and if it was any brighter I think I would not be able to use it in that location.

Anyway, I have replaced all the nightlights in the house with these and so far all family members like them. Great deal for the price.

Darell

Flashaholic
Absolutely a great deal for the price. But I don't use 'em. I gave all mine away since they weren't bright enough for my use. I consider them "marker" lights. You can see where the wall is, but not much else. I use my nightlights to avoid turning on the overheads. My stairs, the bathrooms, the entry and the kitchen are all lit via LED night lights that offer enough light to actually see by.

No, they certainly aren't anything near as bright as an Arc AAA. The dimest ones that I build are though. Typically I make them even far brighter by using several LEDS though.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
why on earth would you guys want to use nightlights?

i prefer to use flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a Digitronics LED night light near the sink in my bathroom, and it lights the whole room up more than enough to see by at night. Even the toliet.

Then again, it has a whole s***load of yellow LEDs, several greens, and a blue in the middle. It would be too bright for bedside use, but works fine for the john and would probably be good in a kitchen or living room too.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I was tempted the other day at Wal-Mart by a two-pack of amber LED night lights. If I'm remembering right they were basically round in shape with a shade that flipped up or down to direct the light. I believe they cost around $5. Anyone tried these yet? I was afraid they might be too dim for anything but guide light use.

Darell

Flashaholic
Turtle -

I've bought everything that WallyWorld has to offer. Those round amber ones with the shade are just a step up from marker lights. A bit brighter than the Costco ones, but not much. And try as I could, these are a REALL booger to modify. The other lights they sell (with the clear plastic "shade" on top) are quite easy to modify. They come with inefficient LEDs which can be replaced with something of higher quality for a great light. I've strung several LEDs in series on these lights, and they work great! Skip the round ones, and go for the others. The "shade" (I don't know what the piece of clear plastic should be called!) usually as an etching on it of a tree of flower or whatnot. I throw that away, and just use the LED poking out the top. It is nicely recessed.

CiTY - no, you will waste your money with an LS. These things are current limited, so you'll only see about 20mA through the LS. Big bummer if you're hoping for more light...