is there a Bessibennys roundup for more expensive lights?

60ndown

Banned
Usually by the time one is wise enough to not waste money on the cheapies, they know all the basics of what makes a good light, and which styles and brands best suit them.

I guess you could say the whole of CPF is a guide to better lights, but it requires a LOT more than a single thread list.

Start here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=201749

way to much imfo/debate/reading for me,

where's the stars?

HKJ

Flashaholic

where's the stars?

Number of stars depends on what your want to use the light for and how your like the light to work:

Do your want a single level, a few fixed levels or variable level brightness?

Do your want a tight beam than can throw a long way or a broad beam that lights up everything in front of you?

Do your like to click a lot on push buttons or do your prefer to twist the light?

What type of batteries will your use, the typical ones are AAA, AA, CR123 and 18650

Do your want a small light for pocket carry or a big one in a holster?

etc!

notnormal

Newly Enlightened
The review section is quite good. And several CPF members have posted roundups that compare some of the more expensive lights.

Marduke

Flashaholic

where's the stars?

If reading a summary is too much work, this hobby is not for you. Informed purchases take hours upon hours of research and reading. Buying a light simply because of how many "stars" someone else gave it is rather silly.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Actually, what I would like to see is a roundup of the good lights you can buy at Wally World, Target, Home Depot, etc, where I could see them in one place and recommend purchases to my friends. I am sometimes asked for recommendations, and if I don't want to send them to DX or KD, I am not always sure what to tell them.

I see folks talking about these from time to time, but I spend most of my time looking into lights for myself that are higher in the food chain.

For example, I wish I had a list of well-regulated lights that could be bought anywhere.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Actually, what I would like to see is a roundup of the good lights you can buy at Wally World, Target, Home Depot, etc, where I could see them in one place and recommend purchases to my friends. I am sometimes asked for recommendations, and if I don't want to send them to DX or KD, I am not always sure what to tell them.

I see folks talking about these from time to time, but I spend most of my time looking into lights for myself that are higher in the food chain.

For example, I wish I had a list of well-regulated lights that could be bought anywhere.

A number of months ago there was such a list, but it hasn't been updated in a while since B&M stores started carrying a multitude of modern emitter lights.

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
My thought is that people that look for the best are not really that interested in what is marketed to the masses. What would be the purpose of this place if we just picked up flashlights in the check-out lane?

I give people 47 cent fauxtons and they throw their other flashlights away.

It's not that hard to get an opinion from someone that just spent $100.00 or more on a flashlight. Most people, myself included, have to justify spending more than fifty dollars on something to walk the dog and look around the neighborhood.

I really like the reviews of $20.00 flashlights. Hopefully they'll be up and working more over soon.

60ndown

Banned
If reading a summary is too much work, this hobby is not for you. Informed purchases take hours upon hours of research and reading. Buying a light simply because of how many "stars" someone else gave it is rather silly.

lol,

maybe in your world,

in my world, when 90% of people agree a light is great,

im happy to own one.

Marduke

Flashaholic
lol,

maybe in your world,

in my world, when 90% of people agree a light is great,

im happy to own one.

And without spending time reading and researching, how are you going to arrive at that 90% figure? You can't get that from a single person's objective opinion summarized on a scale from 1-5. You need to read what the review SAYS, along with what many other people say about the light. That requires...... reading.

60ndown

Banned
And without spending time reading and researching, how are you going to arrive at that 90% figure? You can't get that from a single person's objective opinion summarized on a scale from 1-5. You need to read what the review SAYS, along with what many other people say about the light. That requires...... reading.

meh,

ill take the word of a flashlight enthusiast "bessibenny' who has all the lights in his hands able to test em side by side,

over internet wannabees casting their opinion on a light they have never even touched.

everyone likes the malkov drop ins for maglights.

id say its a safe bet id like it.

no need to spend 'hours and hours' of reading to arrive at that conclusion.

but hey, if you got nothing better to do with your time :party:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't like reading...just buy one of those "shiny" flashlights!:D Or ask bessibenny for some help via pm.

Mayo

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
meh,

ill take the word of a flashlight enthusiast "bessibenny' who has all the lights in his hands able to test em side by side,

over internet wannabees casting their opinion on a light they have never even touched.

everyone likes the malkov drop ins for maglights.

id say its a safe bet id like it.

no need to spend 'hours and hours' of reading to arrive at that conclusion.

but hey, if you got nothing better to do with your time :party:
Why don't you just go to Wal-Mart and pick up a light? You don't think too differenty from their fine regular customers...

CPF is more of a place for the informed buyer....

IcantC

Enlightened
LOL @ ^

That was pretty funny. Buy a Surefire M6 and run the HOLA.

Now the thread can die :D.