If Malkoff had a discount for LEO's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Yes there is :naughty:

Seriously, there isnt. Just look at the conglomerate that is SF. They have contracts with the army, police, military and god knows who else. SF is obligated to fullfill these contracts, even if it means supplying parts and torch's to them. We have been thru a shortage of SF parts (for civilians )and lights due to the contracts. I would hate to see Gene go this way.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEO's aren't always the best paid, but they are some of the people who could use his products the most. For an everyday person, it is a luxury item, for LEO's I would consider it a necessity.

I would pay an extra $5 for a Malkoff dropin if I could see a couple less "I saw a _______ with a cheap incan light" threads.

Not to mention if 5 or 10 LEO's buy them, and everyone they work with sees how great they are, it could be great business.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I'm all for an LEO discount -- if it doesn't cost the average user more.

But of course, I'm biased. ;)

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought a few for friends who are LEO's out of my own pocket. The bottom line is that law enforcement can be a dangerous job. Officers should be afforded any extra edge we can give them.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
.....better still, how about charging all customers the same as now BUT, make it known that a small part of each sale of all Malkoff products will go into a "fund" that will pay for the supply of LED drop-in's to needy LE departments on a needs basis. You are more likely to get support from civilian customers that would know that a small part of their spent money is going to a good cause, rather than creating "them and us" situation.

ALSO, I have seen many great small businesses that provided a first class product or service on a small family scale......only to see them fail because they tried to become too big far too quickly without the right long term strategy.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Then you get onto the slippery-slope... what about firemen? Medics? Military? Where does it end and to what degree?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't doubt that he's already seen the thread.

In fairness to Gene and Cathy, the "Malkoff Company" is still very much a mom-and-pop operation. Yes, they are expanding into a production line and yes, with any luck, they can increase production and potentially reduce operating and production costs.

But they simply can't costs all that much because the profit per unit can't be all that much. Without insulting the man to ask for a breakdown on manufacturing costs, I'm happily willing to assume he's not grossly overcharging for his product. A product that sells to a fairly small customer base.

If a LEO or military or emergency services and so on are willing to sport a SF on their own initiative, they might as well decide how badly they want to upgrade or work with the tools they have.

-Trevor

|Hemppis|

Newly Enlightened
I'm no LEO (not even from the US for that matter) but still IMHO there's pretty much no need for discount. I can't think of a person who wouldn't have mere ~50$ to spend on "tools of the trade" that some day might save their life...IF felt they need it! A few $ won't make a difference.

My gut feeling is that most of the LEOs or such simply don't a) know about better or b) simply don't care because they think that AA minimag/magcharger is all they need!

We should focus on helping people "see the light" ;)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I'm not an LEO and also not from the US. But I do have an opinion on this issue.

At present, Malkoff is in the midst of expansion and hopefully one day will become a household name akin to Maglite (talk to someone about lights in Singapore and they go, "Oh, Maglite is the best.").

Perhaps when it hits THAT stage then it would be more appropriate to discuss discounts for personnel in essential services. I am all for supporting LEOs, paramedics, firemen, all of whom save lives but i think that any discount should be on a departmental level, i.e. the entire station or precinct makes an order.

Should Malkoff decide to offer discounts to individual essential personnel, that would be entirely their decision.

Personally, i am saving for a drop in for my 3D Mag and an a new reflector too.

So all we can do right now is to support Malkoff by buying more stuff and showing them off.

p.s. at that point in time i would quit and join one of the essential services

Just my humble $0.02.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume you meant "they simply can't CUT costs all that much" ;)

In any case, discounts are never free - either Gene makes less or everyone else pays more...

:ohgeez:

Sorry, I'm usually better about proofing my posts than that.

-Trevor

naked2

Enlightened
What about electricians? A dependable, bright light is ESSENTIAL for my job (and "Joe the plumber's" also!).

Tools of LEO's trade: Handgun, flashlight, nightstick, handcuffs, police car, etc.- all essential.

Tools of my trade: Impactor (screwgun!), flashlight, wire strippers, voltage tester, service truck, etc.- all essential.

If you extend a discount to community service personnel, shouldn't it be extended to ALL service personnel?

foxtrot29

Enlightened
What about electricians? A dependable, bright light is ESSENTIAL for my job (and "Joe the plumber's" also!).

Tools of LEO's trade: Handgun, flashlight, nightstick, handcuffs, police car, etc.- all essential.

Tools of my trade: Impactor (screwgun!), flashlight, wire strippers, voltage tester, service truck, etc.- all essential.

If you extend a discount to community service personnel, shouldn't it be extended to ALL service personnel?

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.