Looking at a new EDC light

EDCMonkey

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at getting a new EDC light for general usage. My current is a Cabellas LED someone gave me. It is a nice light, but, it is clicky, and I don't like the lack of a momentary on. Also, I am forced to cycle through the high and low modes to turn it off again, which is a nuisance.

My current debate is between Surefire's G2 and G2Z LED models, and I'm possibly considering a NiteCore PD EX10. I am wanting a good, long running, good output LED (80 lumin and up). It also has to be easy for me to hold on to. I do all kinds of things, and the last thing I want to do is drop my EDC light in a whole or off a cliff (I do a fair amount of running around the woods at night sometimes.) Quick access to high lumin settings are important. It would also be nice to have a low output. The nature of things right now involves me being in bed after and up long before my roommates, and a nice low level beam would be sweet for this.

I would like some suggestions from those who have experience with these models before I go and set my mind on one.

Thanks much for your time!

jag-engr

Enlightened
My current debate is between Surefire's G2 and G2Z LED models, and I'm possibly considering a NiteCore PD EX10. I am wanting a good, long running, good output LED (80 lumin and up). It also has to be easy for me to hold on to. I do all kinds of things, and the last thing I want to do is drop my EDC light in a whole or off a cliff (I do a fair amount of running around the woods at night sometimes.) Quick access to high lumin settings are important. It would also be nice to have a low output. The nature of things right now involves me being in bed after and up long before my roommates, and a nice low level beam would be sweet for this.

I would like some suggestions from those who have experience with these models before I go and set my mind on one.

Thanks much for your time!

EDCMonkey,

Personally, I would not consider a 2-cell light to be an EDC light, but that would depend on what you will be using it for and how you intend to carry it. If a belt holster would fit into your plans fine, then a Surefire could be the light for you.

I would recommend a NiteCore EX10 as the best EDC light. It takes a little getting used to, but the Smart PD system can allow for momentary mode with the ability to ramp the light up or down while in momentary (jumping to HI or LO while in momentary is also possible but takes a little more coordination). If you use it as a piston light, you can quickly access the two most useful modes HI and LO.

As far as Q5 or GDP emitters, that's a matter of personal preference. If you will be using the light outside, you might prefer the GDP. It has a nicer beam profile and and good color rendition. For inside use, I would recommend the Cree Q5. It's not as nice a beam profile, but for indoor use you are more likely to see the aweful color profile of the GDP emitter. If you hit a light-colored wall within 10' you will see a warm hotspot, surrounded by a beautiful yellow corona, surround by an aweful purple color. :green: The purple is not noticeable on low settings or at longer distances, as would be encountered outdoors.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a g2, but I think it might be a relatively huge blast of light if you are concerned about disturbing roomies and even just house navigation in general. My favorite everyday chore light is the Fenix P2D. Some say the low is still too high for their needs. I like it, its very easy to bump it up higher, but not necessary to cycle through modes to turn it off. On the downside, it does not have a momentary on and it is a bit slick. The new model looks easier to grip. I also have the EX10. I don't care for the interface for my day to day chores. I find it a PIA to not know what level it is coming on at. It does have excellent knurling. It is silent, no click to disturb sleepers. The low is very low. It is a nice walking around light, either outdoors or around the house. I just dislike it for my daytime edc needs of a quick flash of light here and there. I'm video game challenged and I don't want to mess around clicking and holding for a 5 second job of finding a bolt hole or whatever. For the silence and very low setting, it might be a nice light for you. I have the GDP. I'm pretty happy with the tint. I either can't see or don't have the colors that others have.

ruger357

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: I have both the EX10 and D10. They are both great lights. I find myself carrying the D10 more often in a Fenix L1d holster.

Last edited:

EDCMonkey

Newly Enlightened
Hey, thanks so much for the input, its very helpful thusfar.

As far as carry, I carry a Maxpedition Manta (manpurse) with several other things in it. But, in time, I want to have a good pocket light and a good General purpose light for my pack. The PD EX10 would be my pocket light if I got one. I was originaly going to get an E1B, but, the EX10 looks more versatile, plus, it has knurling (I've heard the E1B is a booger to hang on to).

Also, cn anyone give me an idea how the EX10 compares to the G2 LED's on run time (I know its 2cell vs 1cell). I am trying to keep down battery costs, and I am wanting to look into RCR123A's as well.

Thanks again!

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
Well if you want something you can drop/ ruff use you may want to look at the Novatac 120P. It will hold up to punishment the other lights you mentioned will never take. You can also program a locator's beacon so if you drop it at night you just look for a small flash of light. It's a great EDC.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
From you suggestions looks like CR123 based lights are an option for you. In that case I would second the Novatac 120P with a Fenix P2D as a less cost option.

If battery cost is a concern that either of thoes take RCR123's well or you could go with a AA powered L1D or the like.

I do not have any direct experience with the Nitecore lights but both the EX10 and D10 would work well.

I use to carry a 2 cell ( SF A2 ) as an EDC but with so many solid 1 cell choices, I do not feel the need for the 2 cell lights these days.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
May i humbly recommend that Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST, the slim tube (ST) design makes it reasonably pocketable and it's IBS UI is programable to the lighting level to suit your needs.

Forward clicky also allows for momentary on and switching between it's 3 modes with a full click to lock the light on in the mode that you want. Runs on 18650 and buildwise it's very sturdy and it feels great in the hand too.

If size is an issue, then go for the Jet I - Pro IBS, same functions just runs off AA. I'm thinking of getting one of these soon to replace my other AA EDC.

Mine is set:

1. Lowest (about 5 lumens)
2. Highest (225 lumens)
3. Strobe (programable too, mine is 15hz)

all levels are per manufacturer specs as i'm quite useless in technical stuff.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was originaly going to get an E1B, but, the EX10 looks more versatile, plus, it has knurling (I've heard the E1B is a booger to hang on to).

:welcome:

I would highly recommend rethinking getting the E1B - I'm not really sure I'd put it in the same league as the EX10. They are two totally differnt lights.

The EX10 might have more output modes but the 5 lumen low of the E1B is incredibly useful for many tasks (its comparable with 15 lumens on my fenix) and the 80 lumen high EASILY matches, if not bests, the EX10s 130 lumens in throw thanks to a TIR optic. Its a monster.

With regards to versatility, the 2 way pocket clip on the E1B is one of my favorites of any light - easy to carry bezel up or down and clip on a hat when needed.

Further, with surefire you get a genuine lifetime guarantee - if your clicky fails or your lens cracks, call them and you will be taken care of no questions asked.

As far as "gripability," I would recommend adding a Z68 or E2D tail to make this a non-issue (plus it look bad-***).

Lastly, buy an F04 diffuser and you have monster flood when needed.

Like many say on here: do it right the first time and you'll save yourself a lot of hassle and money in the longrun.

brucec

Enlightened
I use either an EX10 or Novatac 120p as my EDC. However, I have to warn you that these lights require a bit of setup and/or maintenance which could be a turn-off if you are not that familiar with programmable flashlights or are unwilling to take the time to learn. For EDC, if you can live with 1-2hrs on high, then 1xCR123 is probably the best choice.

In general, I have only had good luck with Surefire & Fenix working as intended straight out of the box. With other brands (including Nitecore & Novatac) there is programming, relubing, tightening, cleaning, etc. involved to get them to work as advertised. I would recommend the Surefire E1B and Fenix P2D Q5. If these non-knurled lights are too slippery, go for the new Fenix PD20 Q5, which is the same as the P2D with a grippier body.

toolpig1

Enlightened
EDCMonkey, since you carry a "manpurse", you might want to read an interesting thread running in the General Flashlight Discussion titled, "Has your EDC Stabilized". I'm not making a recommendation for a particular light, but thought you would enjoy the thread if you hadn't already seen it.

superflytnt

Enlightened
I have both the SF E1B and a NC D10 and I'd have to recommend the D10/EX10 over the E1B. You can still find E1B's at the old price (around $100) but once you add on a new tailcap and diffuser you're over $150. I think the D/EX10 will do the job for you and are under $60.

Another poster mentioned how bright the E1B is on low (it's rated at 5 lumens, same as EX10) and he's right, it's easily 10+ and while that makes it really useful for many tasks it might be too bright for not waking up the flatmates (it looks like a searchlight during those late night nature calls). The EX10's 5 lumen low, on the other hand, is more like .75 lumen and is perfect for around the house duties once you're dark adapted.

BTW, :welcome:

Last edited:

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
All good advice above. You haven't really stated a price range though. Also, how rugged do you need this light to be. For instance, if you do drop it off a cliff, do you need it to still be working when you finally get down there and find it? I feel fairly confident that my EDC light would. It's a Ra Twisty. 3 programmable levels and even red output if you need it to preserve night vision, etc. Next in line (sorting by rugged design) would be the Novatac. They are cheaper lately and good deals can be found. The Novatac was my EDC before the Twisty came out.

I also own most every other light mentioned here and they are all good lights. A couple of things to look for (based on what you've said): 1) Water-proof (resistant), and; 2) Non-glass lens. Good luck.

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
I think it's hard to beat the Surefire E2DL for an EDC light. It has two modes, with the low having a very nice usable output. On high, the E2DL has great throw which can help you illuminate some of the areas for your night jaunts with a nice white beam that is very clean, bright and round. The clickie tailcap works as a momentary on, and it clicks off without having to cycle through the levels, and the knurling is well done on the body to help with purchase, so it's not slippery like the E1B. Plus, as it's been said already, the Surefire warranty is hard to beat.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
The E2DL is a 2 cell light. A very nice one, but kind of long for my taste (to EDC, I mean).

Lots of nice lights mentioned here. It would be very helpful if you could help us weed out some by saying what attributes are most important to you.

Stainz

Enlightened
The E1b increased to the same $150 MSRP as the E2DL last month, although you can still find it at it's earlier price - if you look hard enough. I have both - and a pair of 6PLs. I also have the Fenix P2D CE. That Fenix is neat, but believe me, the first two S-Fs I mentioned may just be ideal. Their low settings are nearly the same - and enough for most operations around the home. The E1b's high is definitely bright - as much as the 6PL on fresh cells. The E2DL is as bright as the P2D CE is on 'Turbo' - supposedly 180L. While in a condo on the beach (~150-200 yd from high tide mark) last week, I could illuminate the surf from my 2nd floor balconey with the E2DL on high - great throw. It is a comforting handful for protection, when something louder isn't in another pocket. The E1b clips on the pocket edge for faster retrieval, the E2DL must reside within the pocket due to it's size. Battery life for the 2-cell E2DL is twice that of the E1b, so extra cells aren't needed any more frequently with it than the E1b - and it is brighter on high - substantially. Well made, great warranty, too.

Stainz

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
This refuels my desire to have a one cell light as it's the one thing I want and have yet to get, so it's back to that battle of the L1 versus E1B again!

Argh. Decisions, decisions. :whistle: