Alpha series? WTH...

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Seriously, what the hell is this all about. Looks like a cree.... This, along with "alpha g5,6, etc" seems to be taking ebay by storm.

Doesn't make any mention of the emitter. Obviously, there is no way this thing is putting out 300+ lumens. There is an interesting video clip though where the guy tests the bulb.

168965464_tp.jpg

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Its just another example of a company over-rating the Lumen output. Most of these Chinese-origin P60 modules seem to spit out ~150-160L tops (give or take). That does not make them poor quality (IMHO)... just over-rated spec-wise.

Someone please correct me, but I don't think too many P60 drop in manufacturers rate their modules for out the front Lumens. Ironically, I think the original Surefire P60-Xenon is one of the few that does.

Last edited:

superflytnt

Enlightened
LOL, if you read the whole page they claim "U.S. technology at it's finest" and the title lists USA yet the member is in China. I'm just guessing that this is a china made DX quality drop-in that is selling for 3-4 times what they get on DX's website just because they throw USA in a few times to take advantage of those folks who care about that sort of thing.................

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Its just another example of a company over-rating the Lumen output.

No way! Did ya see the video? He has a real, honest-to-goodness light meter. You can't argue with a real, honest-to-goodness light meter.
And he's wearing camo, and army boots. He's just gotta be honest. :rolleyes:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
No way! Did ya see the video? He has a real, honest-to-goodness light meter. You can't argue with a real, honest-to-goodness light meter.

:laughing:

I loved the camo and army boots. It was a nice touch, lol

Seriously, these overstated drop-in's are starting to irritate me.

You should see the other overpriced lights being sold by the same seller... All cheapy dx style lights, but at 2-3x the price.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am confused though, how is that lux meter reading over 900 (units) at one point?

either its nearer then one is made to think, or he is using a really crap "stock" drop in......:thinking:

Crenshaw

DM51

Flashaholic
If you want to initiate discussion about a light, you need to do more than provide an eBay link.

Even if the link is not deleted by a moderator, it will cease to work properly anyway after the auction is over. Either way, the item is soon gone, and people are then left wondering what the thread was about.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i actually want to continue this discussion, so i took the liberty of screenshooting everything, almost, DM51, if this is a bad idea, ill take it down immediatly..

OP, feel free to hotlink images straight, as im hosting them..

168965464_tp.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled6.jpg

before changing module, 500(units) lux
untitled2.jpg

changing module (note, it failed to turn on the first time, had to adjust bezel, then it worked - much like alot of other third party dropins)
untitled3.jpg

After Changing the module- 900 (units) lux?!

untitled-2.jpg

compared to supposedly "stock" module

untitled4.jpg

hmmmm, interesting, if not an interesting module, at least an interesting hoax!

of course, we all know that 390 lumens for 2.7 hours on any battery is a stretch of the imagination..

maybe this guy got his hands on R5s already? :thinking:
:candle:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Thanks Crenshaw.

Yeah, I found in interesting as well... Obviously the claims are wild at best. But on video, it does look very bright. I noticed on the sellers feedback, one person commented "as bright as a q5".

I've emailed the seller to get some details on what the emitter is.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I was referring more to the Lumen value. Theres NO WAY that module emits 390 Lumens :crackup: while still maintaining 2.7 hours of run time from ~1400mah primaries. IIRC, a malkoff M60 on 2xRCR123 is around 195L out the front with a ~50Minute run time.

**edit**
I would also question the calibration of that lux meter... theoretically it could be off-calibration, although it would be off for both lights. A good thrower could very easily measure higher lux values than a floody type, but that does not necessarily mean its brighter and will emit more Lumens.

**edit**
I just noticed the hint of sarcasm in your post, LOL... Yeah real camo, real dirt... and real boots!!:crackup:

Last edited:

Niconical

Enlightened
On the bright side (excuse the pun), at least we've finally exhausted all options ending with "....fire".

DM51

Flashaholic
i actually want to continue this discussion, so i took the liberty of screenshooting everything, almost, DM51, if this is a bad idea, ill take it down immediatly.
Yes, it's OK to continue the discussion - that is why I left the thread open, instead of closing it. I hoped someone would put up some more info. I see the OP has now copied one of your shots into post #1.

I hope members will also now understand why an eBay link is no use as a basis for starting a thread.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
So, I sent the seller a very polite message inquiring as to what type of emitter is being used in the Alpha drop in. This is the response I received:

"I'm sure Alpha will release that information about the same time Streamlight Mag and Surefire do. Sounds like your looking for an imported model. There are plenty of those on Ebay.
If you want a chinese model just let us know. We have contacts there too and can get you one...but no warranty on them.
Take care"

Nice eh?

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Yet another reply from the seller, after I thanked him for his "cryptic response":

"Well, Im my personal experience,(and I was the one who did the research for this company before we decided which bulbs to sell..) I found that Alpha Bulbs from the USA are the best on the market. They come backed with a 3 month(90day) warranty, and every bulb is guaranteed to meet their laboratory specifications. Alpha only supplies these bulbs to manufacturers and military, and us. They are aware we are in China and have a drop ship agent send out the units for us.

Now, I who am talking with you from my company's office in China, and am quite capable of getting for you ,one of those "Chinese drop ins", as you call them.. but they do not meet the QC specifications demanded of by Military Armories around the world for whom we supply for.

It's not a cryptic responce, it's just common sense.

Our customers are Soldiers and Police, with a few suvillians as well.. They need a guaranteed result that they can bet their life on.

We only found one bulb which consistantly delivered the results, and we spend the extra mony to have them drop-shipped from the USA, instead of using whats available here.

Those So-called CREE bulbs...are they really CREE? If you believe they are, then you have never been to China. We have coppies of everything, and the performance of apearance from item to item varies too much.

We sell many Chinese goods which pass the QC test... but bulbs and flashlights are sent from the USA.

in Fact...If you want Exact replicas of things.. you will find many of them here, and our boss may one day consider selling some if the legitamate manufacturers no longer produce the specific items.

If your not so concerned about warranty and don't need a guaranty rating as military personell do, ...my advice is you just buy a "CREE" or at least something that looks like one.

Take care "

-----------

It's funny, he says that their bulbs and flashlights are sent from the USA, but is selling superfire brand flashlights (some for over $100USD!!) Take note that I never mentioned anything about "chinese drop in's"

<sigh> Oh well...

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks DM51 :D

erm...wow, i didnt understand a word that seller typed.....sounds like is claiming everyone else is using fake crees...?

:thinking:

still, im wondering how he fabricated the higher lux numbers...

Crenshaw

superflytnt

Enlightened
The bulbs are backed by a 90 day warranty so you just KNOW that it's superior quality. None of that wimpy 30 day warranty stuff here! :crackup:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
thanks DM51 :D

erm...wow, i didnt understand a word that seller typed.....sounds like is claiming everyone else is using fake crees...?

:thinking:

still, im wondering how he fabricated the higher lux numbers...

Crenshaw

Well, for starters, there could have been someone else standing over the army <cough> guy, with an HID or something, shining it onto the meter. lol... Dunno.