New LedLenser P14 throw or smoke and mirrors?

Sarratt

Enlightened
I know we are to collectively not like LedLenser or Coast but
The new (2008) ledlenser line seem to be pretty impressive.
I tried the P5 in a fully bright store and was impressed. The beam was very square at 12 inches though.

My question to the experts is... will a better combination of optics and depth of reflector really ? honestly ? make the "throw" better ?
I am comparing http://www.zweibrueder.com/LedLenser_ENG/produkte/professional.html
to my L2D ce q5
This summer I was camping with my L2D and several times wished for greater throw ...

Could the P14 help ?

thanks

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I was thinking along the same lines, could it throw more with the Collimator Lens. So I bought a headfire, and damn was I impressed. It throws further than any of my SF's, and holds it's own when compared to the SF's with optics. It has seriously opened my eyes.
I don't have a L2D, so I cant compare. I'll be picking up the P14 in the near future, just for the spot to flood feature alone, it can't be beat.

1dash1

Enlightened
I picked up the Led Lenser P7. The adjustable focus works great. It's a snap to adjust from pure flood (no center spot to speak of) to a tight beam that lives up to the manufacturers 700+ feet claims. Two modes: 167 lumens (manufacturer's rating) and 20+ lumens (my estimate). Exceptional build quality, too! See another review with pic's.

That's the good part.

The bad part is that the 4xAAA form doesn't suit my hands. Someone with bigger hands would do better with this flashlight. Or perhaps the 4xAAA form doesn't suit my lifestyle. I use the flashlight on 3 to 6 mile night walks. Small things are noticeable after holding the flashlight for a couple of hours.

P.S. The battery tray built into the tailcap shows off the German craftsmanship and engineering. Slipping AAA batteries into the tray is an oddly satisfying experience. Each cell slides in cleanly and there's a solid "click" when each is loaded. It reminds me of loading cartridges into a gun magazine. Chamber four cells, lock and load, and you're ready to go!

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
P.S. The battery tray built into the tailcap shows off the German craftsmanship and engineering. Slipping AAA batteries into the tray is an oddly satisfying experience. Each cell slides in cleanly and there's a solid "click" when each is loaded. It reminds me of loading cartridges into a gun magazine. Chamber four cells, lock and load, and you're ready to go!.

:lolsign: I know what you mean, I've always felt the same about the Focusing Lensers that I mod. (Same carrier pretty much, but only 3 AAA)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
From what I hear, they have a tight hotspot but no or very little spill in tight focus mode. Output should be similar or lower then the L2D(depending on your version) but the tighter beam should trow a good bit further.

Sarratt

Enlightened
From what I hear, they have a tight hotspot but no or very little spill in tight focus mode. Output should be similar or lower then the L2D(depending on your version) but the tighter beam should trow a good bit further.

It's the throw that I'm looking for.

My old Streamlight ProPoly Luxion seems to throw further than my L2D Q5 .

I don't really "need" another 4 AA light with similar specs. --- But thanks for the advice.

radu1976

Enlightened
I would say that it should throw much better than FENIX L2D.
I had an old model of focusable LL - I guess HOKUS-FOCUS was called - a 3 AAA model which was throwing better than INOVA XO3 TIROS.
What I don't like at those LL it's the fact they don't have regulation. I am wondering if using NiMH batteries , the P7 will be regulated in any way
thinking.gif

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I bought the Led Lenser P14 at Fry's Electronics just a few days ago, about 78 bucks tax included. The throw on spot mode easily kills the throw of both the L2D and the Streamlight 4AA Lux combined. I almost thought it would out-throw my lights with huge conventional reflectors, so I compared it side by side with the Streamlight Super Tac, but the Super Tac still has a bit more lux, of course the ST has a laserlike near-zero-degree beam, it's spot is about 8 inches in diameter at 15 feet. The P14 has some pretty impressive throw still, though. It's spot beam looks to be under 6 degrees, really throwy, I'm able to light up the side of a house at about 800 feet, and would be able to tell whether or not there was a person leaning against the side of said house. Flood mode is pretty sweet as well. I'm kind of puzzled as to why they call it a reflector-lens, or a combination of a lens and a reflector though, as even in spot mode, the light is still being REFRACTED by the outer portion of the collimator, not reflected. Led Lenser did a fine job with this light and the P7 as well, They just REALLY should have used regulation in the 1AA P5, the 2AA P6, and the 4D X7 / X21, as the output curve of those torches is kind of shabby, I'd be all over that X7 / X21 if it had even at least a buck circuit. The 6 volts of the P7 and P14, with using only one emitter, keeps the voltage above the Vf of the Cree until the batts are pretty much dead, and this actually gives an output curve that might as well be semi regulated!