Fenix E01 Simulated Beamshot

Bonky

Banned
So I was looking at the beamshots of the E01 in other threads, and they didn't match at all what I saw when I shined mine at a wall.

The E01 apparently puts out quite a bit of near-UV light because all my attempts to photograph the beam shot with my digial camera have shown it to be much whiter than it is in actuality.

Therefore I have attempted to simulate the actual hue of light emitted by the E01 by photoshopping a beamshot. The first beamshot below is what the camera saw, the second shot is closer to what *I* see :)

*IMAGE REMOVED*

*IMAGE REMOVED*

********* UPDATE ***********

Seems a lot of folks think my "monitor is off". Here's a comparison shot between the E01 and a Romisen G2. This is --unretouched-- and quite frankly doesn't look as purple as it does to me in real life. But at least you can see there's a huge difference.

*IMAGE REMOVED*

Last edited by a moderator:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Is it really that purple? My gerber tempo (AAA, nichia-CS) looks exactly like that top pic, but maybe a little dimmer overall. Light blue center spot, smooth yellow-tint flood out to the sides. My Inova X1 (also Nicha-CS) had a very faint tint of purple before it croaked. But it was no where near as much as that second pic.
:)

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
No flipping way. That color isn't even CLOSE to being within the color bin ranks.

The color settings on your monitor must be WAY WAY WAY far off.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first picture is accurate to what I see when I put my finger over the image-saturated center spot of the beam.

arficus

Newly Enlightened
I recently received an olive E01 from the fenix store, and mine too has a tint just as violet as the simulated one above. I find the light completely useless. I'm particularly peeved since my request to the fenix store to make a return has gone unanswered now for several days.

JWP_EE

Enlightened
Both my E01s look just like the top photo.

I read in a post here on CPF to try a piece of cellophane tape over the end of the light. I tried it. It does take out the blue spot and give a warmer color with more flood. If it reduces the light output I can't tell due to the spread out beam.

I am not saying that this is a fix but I like the result for when I am just walking around a dark house.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an E01 yet (though I have a package waiting for me at the post office; if it's the two I ordered, I'll update this tomorrow), but my GS-equipped fauxtons have beams similar to the first picture.
Frankly I find it hard to believe that a white LED could have the sort of beam you photoshopped. Even old-generation "white" bluish LEDs weren't that purple.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Enlightened
All 11 of the E01's that I have purchased look more like the first photo.

When using outdoors the tint is not as noticeable.

arficus

Newly Enlightened
Seems a lot of people need to degauss their thrift store monitors.

We have 3 people (including me) thus far reporting that their E01s have an extremely violet tint, and thus far 3 people have tried to blame it on our monitors! In other words, the implication is that our monitors are displaying a color much less violet than what's appearing on others'. I doubt it. Why would the OP have started this thread unless s/he felt the tint was too violet?
And regardless of what the OP intended, I'll say that my E01 has a tint that is FAR more violet than any LED I own- including my photons and fauxtons.
Maybe most E01s owners are quite content and have LEDs with fine tints- great! Just because 3 people report having duds is no reason to come up with half-cocked theories dismissing their complaints.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The "purple" being shown is not even made by Nichia in a GS. It's simply not possible. It's no where near the possible chromatic range.

As far as 3 people having whack monitors, that's much more believable. I've seen far more people than that with monitors which are totally out of adjustment and skew colors horribly.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading this post i took out my E01 and shone it on the office (yes, i surf CPF at work) wall and found that to my eye, there is a SLIGHT purplish tint on a white wall, more evident on dark objects, but i'm sorry to say it isnt as purple as your 2nd shot.

It might be your monitor as pointed out above

arficus

Newly Enlightened
OK then. Forget about whatever color purple you're seeing on your monitor, and I'll forget about whatever color I'm seeing on mine. Instead, let me just state that my E01 has an extremely purple tint. It is significantly more purple than any LED I own. Nothing else even comes close. Not my other lights that use nichias, not even the floods in my BD icon (I've read complaints about the icon's purple tint). I bought a $3 aaa light from dx once that may have been as bad, but I no longer have it and can't be sure.

Bonky

Banned
no guys, I've looked at it on another monitor (standalone and laptop) as well as the viewfinder of the camera itself.

The light is EXTREMELY purple. Maybe I just got a super purple LED but it doesn't have a "tint" of purple in it, it's utterly and completely as purple as this guy ---> :ohgeez:

Last edited: