newbie looking for strobe

cruisemissile

Enlightened
hey all, looking for, not just a strobe, but something :
fairly small
1-2 cr123
has high and low settings with strobe
LED
good run time (i'm way past the 1 hour run time of many tac lights)
strobe would be handy in case car breaks down, visibility etc.. I believe I'm looking for 'emergency strobe'.

i'm new and while i have heard of the big name brands, I want to hear about some of the other names that are not as well advertised as Surefire, etc.. (Fenix, etc...)

thanks all.
by the way, I own
Laser Devices op6 and op9, pentagonlight L3 and L2, as well as several minimags with nite ize leds.

small collection comprared to some.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Fenix PD20, P2D, P3D, PD30, P1D, NiteCore Extreme come to mind. All have easy access to low, high, strobe, and modes in between.

Oh, and :welcome:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey all, looking for, not just a strobe, but something :
fairly small
1-2 cr123
has high and low settings with strobe
LED
good run time (i'm way past the 1 hour run time of many tac lights)
strobe would be handy in case car breaks down, visibility etc.. I believe I'm looking for 'emergency strobe'.

i'm new and while i have heard of the big name brands, I want to hear about some of the other names that are not as well advertised as Surefire, etc.. (Fenix, etc...)

thanks all.
by the way, I own
Laser Devices op6 and op9, pentagonlight L3 and L2, as well as several minimags with nite ize leds.

small collection comprared to some.

So by emergency strobe, i am thinking that you are not looking for one of those tactical strobes that are used to disorient people but more like a warning strobe, constant slow to medium flashing?? In that case, you would be limited to using the SOS mode and not the strobe mode as the strobing may adversely affect oncoming drivers if you are waving that in their faces :)

If a low-medium strobe is what you need, then any of the Jetbeams with the IBS UI is what you may want to consider, the strobe mode is programable so you can choose the level of strobing that you want and in default mode, the sequence is:-

1st click: medium
2nd click: high
3rd click: warning mode: two quick strobes (about 1/2 second) - pause - two quick strobes - repeat

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Nitecore Defender Infinity(1AA) or Extreme(1 CR123) seem pretty god for this. Head tightened = max output, head loosened = user set lower output. I think tightening and loosing the head a few times quickly gives you strobe.

The Fenix L, LD, P PD series(minus the L1T and L2T) cal all work too. The Olights would work and so would the Jetbeams. The Novatacs work too along with the RA lights. A Surefire with the right drop-in or tailcap works too.

:welcome:

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
Since you were looking for off-brand lights take a look at the six mode Ultrafire. It has strobe and fast and slow SOS. They're a little over twenty at Dealextreme.com otherwise known as DX here.

Pistolero

Enlightened
Olight T10?
It "locks in" your brightness setting by rotating the bezel open and shut.

1st press is on. (to whatever brightness setting you left it at)
2nd press is the epileptic strobe at full strength.
3rd press is a very slow SOS.

I usually leave mine at the lowest setting and then work it up if I want more output.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
lots of good advice.
i actually just ordered a Fenix (with Cree).
I really liked the Novatac (a bit pricey for me right now), its on my "wish list".
I also really liked the UltraFire (thanks popcorn picker).