Best Bulb for 6-Cell Flashlight

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've converted a Mag 2C for 3xCR123 usage. I'm presently running a Mag Magnum Star LMSA601 krypton bulb in it but I am underwhelmed. The filament images in the spot and focus is terrible. Worse than with a regular bulb.

What would you recommend for this 9V application?

Thanks,
Wilkey

kz1000s1

Enlightened
In mine I use a Radio Shack KPR112 Krypton bulb. It's being overdriven in this application, however, I have yet to burn one out. Brightness and throw are very close to that of a Streamlight Ultrastinger. I get some filament visible at wide focus, but it focuses nice and tight with a fairly smooth beam. It looks like a light saber at night. This is one of my favorite mods.

Now that batteries are cheaper, if anyone at Maglite had any brains, they would make a light like this themselves.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ginseng,

Would you mind filling me in on how you converted your 2C to a 3x123? I would love to make one myself. Thanks.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I'm using the 'upgraded' 6 cell Maglite bulb in my 2C running 3 123's and can't stand it because I can see a grill pattern in the beam so I'm excited to try the KPR112 and see how it does.

I tried to run a 5 cell mag bulb with 3 123's and it immediately flash bulb'd on me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illuminatingbikr,

I simply used two sheets of closed-cell polyfoam wrapped around three CR123 batteries. I taped the sheets closed around the outside of the battery stack. Sure as heck ain't elegant, but it works like a charm. I can post pics if you need. I was looking at trying the KPR118 bulb, rated at 7.2V but I think I'll pick up a KPR112 at the local Shack to try out. Thanks for the tip!

Wilkey

kz1000s1

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ChrisM said:

I tried to run a 5 cell mag bulb with 3 123's and it immediately flash bulb'd on me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using the same RS KPR112 in one Mag 2C/3x123 for the past 5 months without a burnout, and in other lights for less time, also without problem.

My 2AA/3xCR123 mod

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dropped in a Radio Shack KPR112 tonight and it works nicely. Not the precision alligned filament of a SF but hey, not bad for $1.29. A spot somewhat wider than my 5W HD in Mag body.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here ya go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

fc3b6774.jpg

It's so easy, doesn't really count as a mod. As you can see, the central hotspot is comparable to my ab 5W Mag 2D mod. The pic was taken from 1.5 meters. Outside, it throws a tighter beam than my ab, but is naturally yellower. As for brightness, it is pretty bright but does not throw as much total light as the Luxeon mod. The corona is much dimmer but they'll both easily light up the tops of 60 foot trees in the lot next to my house.

You can also see the rather crappy filament alignment of the $1.29 RadioShack bulb. But hey, at that price, you can afford to pick up a couple and look for the best. Another option is the KPR118 bulb. It's a 7.2V bulb but in the torch, shows no discernible brightness advantage.

As for the polyfoam, I just cut a piece out of some packing material that came with a package and taped it into a tube. You can get as fancy as you like. I like the fact that it works and is free. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The wrapper at the bottom of the last battery looks a little mangled. That is due to the near match between the last turn of the Mag spring and the overall diameter of the CR123. Oh yeah, the spring is freakin tight. I guess that's why MR Bulk offers custom wound replacement springs.

Hope that helps,
Wilkey

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm doing pretty good with 2 123As and a 4.8V Krypton in my incandescent 2C M*g.

<EDIT> Whoops! I DID have 3 123As and a 112 in that light! Now that my Space Needle is here I really MUST order up a bunch of Batts from Surefire!

Must <still> get to Ratshak!!!

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm...anyone know if Mr. Bulk has anymore of those springs left? I'd like to pick up 2-3 of them...

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks ginseng. I followed your lead -- went out today and bought a Mag C, some KPR-112 bulbs, and 4 inches of 5/8 inch automotive hose (which I slit longitudinally to fit the 123s in as suggested here). It works beautifully.

On Monday, I'll call Carley to order a number 808 bulb to run with 4x123, as decribed here.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

Are you going to have them potted? And if so, what the heck does that mean? Do you have to buy a minimum?

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, ok. I read the thread again. Potting. Got it. Them's some expensive bulbs. If you feel like parting with one or two, I might take them off your hands.

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the information is out there on some thread I found a couple of nights ago. Now I can't find it again. It turns out that lemlux, perhaps six months ago, made a special order with Patty at Carley Lamps for something they called an 808. It wasn't in a PR base, so the potted it for him for $1.65 per bulb. Total cost: $7.89 per bulb, no minimum. The potted 808 would then fit it the Mag 2C with 12 volts worth of SF 123s. Evidently when all connected, the voltage drops to about 9.4 volts, underdriving slightly the 808, which is rated at 9.6v, 1.2A, 285 lumens. That means about 11 watts are consumed, and his experience was that the Mag 2C could take that much heat but not much more.

Now, all of this info is taken from the notes I took reading that thread and from my memory. Some of it may be in the thread I quoted (or the thread may contradict what you read here; sorry). If you feel like doing some searching you could try all posts by lemlux that also have "Patty" or "808" or "carley." As I recall, the good stuff was about September or October last year . . . unless I'm confusing it with an Arc set of threads I have been chasing.

My apologies that I can't be of more help. Well, actually I could, but I just can't bring myself to do all that searching again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now, the nice thing is that lemlux has done all the ground work. He proposes a cheap alternative, not just to the M3, but to the M4. He has determined that the configuration will work well. He's gotten Patty up to speed. She knows what we're up to and is evidently quite helpful. I believe that she even browses CPF and occasionally posts.

Back to the original mod. I tested the 3 x 123 with the KPR-112 tonight. Nice throw, although the M3 I ordered hasn't come yet, so I have nothing comparable to check it against. That bright spot, with its hole that just won't go away, bugs me though. I put two layers of WriteRight on the lens. That got rid of the hole, but gave me a mottled looking corona. Had to take it off. The thing to do is to sputter some clear Krylon spray on the reflector. I've never done it, but I have read about it here.

For me there's room for both of these mods -- the 285 lumen M4-like beast with the 808, and the ~100 lumen (I'm guessing) M3-like little beast with the KR-112. I suspect I'll use both. The cost, I figure is about $20 and $30, respectively. I wouldn't have even considered this without your post, ginseng, the ideas of the others here and the great pictures.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
The hotspot of the 3 cell should be brighter then that of the M3, but the total light output will be less. Mine is slightly brighter than my Energizer/Surefire P91 mod (200 lumens), though the total light output is much less. The Mag should also have a much longer throw. I've tried mine out to 200 yards with good brightness.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Paul,

The Carley route looks like it's going to be tortuous at best. I think I'll stick to the easy stuff. Can you say KPR144? I also appreciate the open community here. Although much of these guys work at a level I can't aspire to (McGizmo, CNC Dan, Lambda, MR Bulk), I do enjoy splashing about in the puddles.

Dave,

I mirror your observations with respect to a SF 9P/P91. The pinpoint spot of the Mag mod can be tuned to stay extremely tight depending on the distance of the target. I've lit a spot that is easily 1/10 the diameter of a 5W LS Mag mod at about 100 yards.

Wilkey