Which 1 cell Surefire do I want?

CanadaBright

Newly Enlightened
Hello all.

First of all this will not be my first Surefire purchace, I have an A2 and love it. The problem I have, is that I keep going back to my Fenix L1P as I love the single cell forum factor.

I use a flashlight all the time for my job (cable installer) and don't like the length of the A2 in my pocket, but I do like the durability of the Surefire product. Not saying that the Fenix is junk by any means, just I feel that Surefire makes a "more solid" product.

So, I'm looking for opinions on which single celled Surefire would be better for my pocket. I don't care all that much about runtime, or brightness, but the higher of each would of course be desirable. Specs are one thing, but I'm hoping to get real life reviews. Pluses and minuses type thing.

I'm also looking for suggestions on where to make a purchace, I'm in rural Canada, so going to a store that carries Surefire just is not going to happen.

Thanks in advance.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I don't know the answer but I have an important question. How important is color rendition to your work as a cable installer?

JediNight

Newly Enlightened
I's grab a Surefire E1B Backup. 2 light levels, feels great in the hand :thumbsup:

Not sure if you use rechargeables. If you do, then this is not for you.

Dadof6

Enlightened
The new L1 would be a great light for you. Two separate levels a low of 10 lumens, high is about 80, great beam and a good light.

You might even want to look at a Milky mod of the L1 which makes a great light even better.

IcantC

Enlightened
Do you want high or low first? If low then L1 otherwise E1B.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
On paper the E1B might look better (better high & better low levels) but many here say that the user interface of the L1 is tops. I only have the L1 but I have found it so impressive that I've gotten four friends to get them.:)

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
My two favorite lights for working on equipment type stuff every day and general indoor daytime use are the Fenix P2D and Surefire E1L 2 stage. The Surefire is easier to hang on to. I like that both lights come on with a fairly bright low. The low is usually bright enough for looking into dark boxes during daylight. The L1 is a nice light too, different switch and current model is brighter on both levels, I think.
I carried both the P2D and E1L all summer to see which I like better. I still can't decide, they both have their +'s. Disappointingly, I already needed to replace the clickie switch on the Surefire.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all.

First of all this will not be my first Surefire purchace, I have an A2 and love it. The problem I have, is that I keep going back to my Fenix L1P as I love the single cell forum factor.

I use a flashlight all the time for my job (cable installer) and don't like the length of the A2 in my pocket, but I do like the durability of the Surefire product. Not saying that the Fenix is junk by any means, just I feel that Surefire makes a "more solid" product.

So, I'm looking for opinions on which single celled Surefire would be better for my pocket. I don't care all that much about runtime, or brightness, but the higher of each would of course be desirable. Specs are one thing, but I'm hoping to get real life reviews. Pluses and minuses type thing.

I'm also looking for suggestions on where to make a purchace, I'm in rural Canada, so going to a store that carries Surefire just is not going to happen.

Thanks in advance.
I'd get an E1L 2-Stage Outdoorsman, or an E1B Backup if you prefer a higher high level.
The L1 is also excellent but it is a bit bigger than the other 1-cell SureFires.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I would name the L1 and E1L.

-L1 for the unbeatable UI.
-E1L for the small size and long runtimes. You probably won't need anything brighter than this, so an E1B would do you no good.

However, if your intended use is mainly close range work, indoors, the kind of beam that these flashlights offer isn't the best. You'd be much better off with a floody beam. Hence, my final suggestion:

-E1L with diffuser cap

If deciding to foresake the brand requirement, the Nitecore EX10 is a fantastic light that can be though of as a user-settable single level with great beam and solid construction.

tapedeck74

Newly Enlightened
The best prices I've found on SF in Canada is from The Shooting Edge in Calgary. Call them up and they'll send it out to you the same day.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Do you want high or low first? If low then L1 otherwise E1B.

??? You would need a slow motion camera to tell the L1 comes on low first if you mash the button!!

This is not really an issue with this particular UI. The L1 is the same as the A2. While it is true the low technically comes on first, if you press the button fully, you get high. Even if I absolutely HAD to have a light that was high first, I would still consider the L1 or any with this type of UI. Some consider it the best UI available, unless you have to have a clicky. This is not a clicky. You have to twist for continuous operation but again, a fast twist all the way and you're on high. It isn't fair to represent the L1 as a "low first" light but it's certainly capable of that.

gunga

Flashaholic
Where in Canada are you?

I would recommend either an E1B (starts on high) or E1L (starts on low).

I prefer their UI to the L1, but many don't agree.

I like the smaller size better too.

For close reange use, you definitely need a diffuser cap.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
+1 on the diffuser, if you mainly want this for indoors, close work.

I love the beam on the L1 and the E1B, but it's best for distance/outdoors.

For indoors (for me, I'm thinking of scenarios like looking for something in my mother-in-law's water heater in the basement), I think something with variable layers and more flood is best. I'd suggest a Novatac, myself.

Just one man's opinion (I'm right, though).

cqbdude

Enlightened
I would have to vote for the L1...it will complement your A2...

Dont they share the same tailcap? I know the L2 has the same tailcap as the L1..

I love the L1 for the tail cap....2 stage...simple...

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the diffuser, if you mainly want this for indoors, close work.

I have the diffuser but rarely use it. If I were working on an electrical panel at night, it would probably be a good thing on the E1L to not be blinded by the hotspot. I'm mainly using the light during the day though, so I prefer the hot spot. On low, in daylight, the E1L will put out enough light to light a terminal block or connector panel or inside a computer case or whatever so you can better see into the shadows. The diffuser in a daylight situation would not do the job or at least require the light to be used on high.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I know the Dereelight C2H is not a Surefire light but you have the option for a warm white LED(Cree XR-E Q2 5A tint) which might help with the color rendering, which I presume is decently important(I don't know).

The Surefire E1L, E1B, or L1 should all be good choices. They all use the same optic so beam pattern is the same. Some lights have a slight diffuser which softens the hotspot a bit, the diffuser is up to the lottery. The main difference would be the way the lights work and the output(I've heard the E1B and L1 are very similar in output). A diffuser should be good for a more floody beam.

IcantC

Enlightened
??? You would need a slow motion camera to tell the L1 comes on low first if you mash the button!!

This is not really an issue with this particular UI. The L1 is the same as the A2. While it is true the low technically comes on first, if you press the button fully, you get high. Even if I absolutely HAD to have a light that was high first, I would still consider the L1 or any with this type of UI. Some consider it the best UI available, unless you have to have a clicky. This is not a clicky. You have to twist for continuous operation but again, a fast twist all the way and you're on high. It isn't fair to represent the L1 as a "low first" light but it's certainly capable of that.

Yes but 98% of CPF complains of using high first lights :). E1B can never come on low first, so if he wants that feature the L1 will do that for him. I agree L1 can come on high if you mash it.