Newbie question about bulbs and batteries

GoodOldBakes

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. Just stumbled across this forum while trying to find out some torch related info on the web, so I'm hoping that one of you knowledgable people will be able to give me some advice please...?

I have just ordered an UltraFire 9P along with some 3.7v CR123 rechargables and a replacement 12v 220 Lumen Xenon bulb. By my way of thinking, 3 x 3.7v batteries = 11.1v so should be ok to run the 12v bulb in the 9P? Do you agree or will there be a noticeable degree of under performance, caused by the minus .9v? I did read somewhere that Rechargeable 3.7's charge up to over 4v(?) If that is correct, would I blow the bulb or would it be ok handling a bit of extra juice? I'm on a budget so please be gentle with my choice of flashlight.. :mecry:

I want to use this torch primarily with an IR filter to aid my night vision goggles. Does anyone have any experience with using this kind of set up - ie do these IR filters work properly or would I be better off buying a specific 3w 6v IR LED bulb and a 6P torch? Does anyone also have any opinions whether the 220 Lumen bulb & filter would give better NV results than the dedicated IR bulb?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

HKJ

Flashaholic
RCR123 is not 3.7 volt but more like 4.2 volt when fresh from the charger.

But a real 12 volt bulb can take more than 12 volt, this is very common when making high power incan lamps.

Batteries will also drop a bit in voltage when loaded and your will have some losses in the electric path.