Find me a Flashlight!

Cubby

Newly Enlightened
I live in a semi-rural area - a little development on the prairie with nothing but farmers' fields to the north and west of me. I take my dog out for a walk every night and need a flashlight for winter. There are no streetlights. I currently use a Rayovac Xtreme 1 or 3 watt when walking but I don't like the aluminum body for winter. So these are my requirements:

- rubber/poly body
- easy to use with gloved hands (can't be too small or too big)
- momemtary on switch required
- LED that can light up a distance (similar to the Rayovac)
- uses 2 AA batteries

I used to use a Streamlight 3C but it is too big to carry in gloved hands.

What do you suggest for me?

Thanks in advance.

superflytnt

Enlightened
If you can accept a rubber grip on an aluminium body then this might be the perfect light:
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=531

These have great throw, a nice warm tint, momentary switch, 150 lumen high and long runtime (and still quite bright) low.

I have heard that the rubber grip can rotate around the body a bit but some glue or silicone will fix that quickly.............

BTW, I forgot to add.............:welcome:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
If you can accept a rubber grip on an aluminium body then this might be the perfect light:
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=531

These have great throw, a nice warm tint, momentary switch, 150 lumen high and long runtime (and still quite bright) low.

I have heard that the rubber grip can rotate around the body a bit but some glue or silicone will fix that quickly.............

I got one of those and are very happy with it. The rubber can rotate around the body and it makes it a bit harder to change level. My fix for this was to use it with the clip on.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Tk20 is probably a good choice for this if you don't mind a metal body with a rubber grip. You can find simple ways to prevent the grip from turning. A small dab of CA works from what I hear.

:welcome:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
A surefire g2 is nice and easy to use, polybody, can be died diffrent colors (the yellow one anyways), with an led drop in its bright and has good runtimes.....not aa but still a great light

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A surefire g2 is nice and easy to use, polybody, can be died diffrent colors (the yellow one anyways), with an led drop in its bright and has good runtimes.....not aa but still a great light

Well, staying in this line of reasoning, but going a little wonkier:

SureFire nitrolon G3 (nylon body, but _really solid_)
Malkoff M30 LED drop in
Two AA batteries for 150 lumens, 1 hour regulated runtime.

The only viable SureFire solution for the OP's requirments, a little expensive @ ~$120, but a _great_ light. I'm sure many other posters can come up with cheaper non-SureFire setups that are still quite nice though. I just wanted to show the AA SureFire flag, that's all.:duck:

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to use a Streamlight 3C but it is too big to carry in gloved hands.

I'm still using my Streamlight ProPoly 4AA for this kind of duty.

I bought it some years ago, it works great and is slim enough to slide backwards into a jeans pocket. I usually use a very low powered light (Infinity) to walk around... and use the ProPoly to spotlight things I might hear or get a glimpse of.