Mod a 6 volt flashlight?

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of old fat flashlights that take big square 6 volt lantern batteries. I'd like to replace with some drop-ins. I think the large diameter reflectors would make an intense flood beam. Does anyone have recomendations/experience or tutorials for this? - Thanks

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yeah I've killed several led bulbs trying that!

Before I learned about polarity and how LED's smell really bad when cooked.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't these take standard PR2 bulbs?
Just put a pr2 bulb drop in in there like the Dorcy. For added punch, swap out the emitter on the drop-in with a cree. It probably won't be much brighter but it will be whiter and longer lasting.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC those lights have a reversed polarity(which incan bulbs don't mind). Because of this, most LED drop-ins don't work.

Wider reflector = narrower beam.
Shallower reflector = more spill but same degree beam for the hotspot.

That's how it seems to work.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
It is 100% possible.

Just take apart a Mag LED bulb and flip it's polarity. Right now the + in the base and it's sides are -, if you reverse that it will work out fine. Plus while you're in there - slap a new Cree LED on top with some arctic alumina. Mag LED guts are thermal protected and will crank down the output when hot so try to incorporate a slug of Al to draw off the heat.

:twothumbs

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
uh, that would not be possible
the positive contact is the tab towards the left and the pin for negative is on the farthest right, note the clips beside the negative pin that holds the LED. The only way to reverse the polarity would be to flip the chip, up side down, but then you'll have to do a little rewiring or else the LED's legs will be hanging in mid air with nothing to clip them to:ohgeez:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Flipping the circuit only reverses the polarity on the LED, which might cause the LED to fry, the circuit to fry, or both.

If there is enough space it might be possible to run wires to the other end of the circuit to switch the positive and negative contact.

Illum

Flashaholic
I meant turning the chip around where the negative terminal would be on the left and positive on the right and route wires from the LED clips [once flipped are on the left and therefore away from the LED mounted towards the right on the stamped container]:ohgeez:

I think its doable, but you'll have to trim the LED legs and solder wires directly to it:D

Patriot

Flashaholic
I think the short answer is that it's not worth the effort unless you just want to do it for the fun of it. I went through this same thing about 2 years ago and it just turned out to be a waste of time. I just bought some more interesting lights.

Illum

Flashaholic
its an interesting issue though, the 6V lantern appears to be the only consumer grade light that so far has no easy LED upgrades.

if you could find one of those 4D to lantern battery converters it would be pretty easy

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
Okay, thanks for the interesting conversation. It's mostly over my head since I'm brand new to the world of high-end torches - but I am intersted in learning more and would consider experimenting. I can really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this board.
I don't know enough about electronics, but my initial thought was the 6 volt battery could provide long lasting power if a compatible high perfomance LED could be fitted. Am I thinking correctly?

Illum

Flashaholic
Ever open up one of those 6 volt cells?

Pretty much 4 C batteries. Maglites are way easier to mod!

actually, they house 4 F cells...and they make great sources for carbon rods if you decide to make your own carbon arc lamp using a car battery:wave:

F cells give a slightly more capacity than D cells, look for 4LR25 on the side, 4LR20 uses 4 D cells and its a ripoff considering the comparable price for 4 separate D cells.

here are some pics of F cells
http://www.ehow.com/how_4542829_really-hack-volt-battery.html

Last edited:

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
I have managed it with drop-ins, but only using the 4D convertor mentioned already. It worked with the Craftsman drop in, and at least one other, but I cannot recall the brand. It makes for a handy sized long life light.

Illum

Flashaholic
I have managed it with drop-ins, but only using the 4D convertor mentioned already. It worked with the Craftsman drop in, and at least one other, but I cannot recall the brand. It makes for a handy sized long life light.

everLED might be what your referring to.
I know for sure everled has a model called "diamond" thats specifically made for reverse polarity lights