New to HO flashlights

Andrewr05

Newly Enlightened
I'm a noob to flashlights and this forum.
I think the idea of a HighOutput LED flashlight is awesome.

I've come to like (by reading reviews mind you) the Fenix flashlights.

The only real reason I would be getting a high output light opposed to using my pathetic (in light output) minimag would be fun I guess.

I don't have a job to use it for and my life won't depend on it, but I see that quit a few (well most actually) of you guys may be in my situation as well.

You can just appreciate a well made flashlight that will throw a beam better than some cars and put some people in awe.

Now comes the dreaded question:
(I know some of you are gonna "sigh" and say not another noob looking for the brightest thing he can get his hands on)

Which flashlight should I get if I wanted an intense/bright somewhat medium sized spot at ~100ft?

Now of course there are stipulations:

• AA (2,3,4 AA I don't care) Maybe even persuade me to go CR123 or even C-cell?
  • Under $60 (I could stretch a bit if I had to)
  • Somewhat pocket sized (Smaller than a 2cell maglite)
I've been looking into the Fenix lights and have specifically been looking at the Fenix Digital L2D Black Premium Q5.
But...
(yes there is always a but)
The L2T,
E20 and LD10 are all within that price range and are similar in output. (barring of course the single setting E20)

Mind you the brand doesn't really matter to me as long as you guys (the experts) tell me its a good brand I won't think twice about ordering one.

and don't forget I might get into the "hobby" of flashlights I don't need it to be anything tactical or superstrong, although being rugged is certainly a plus.

:twothumbs
Andrewr05

Last edited:

rockz4532

Enlightened
id strongly advise cr123a's, if your worried about cost go online or go to your local lowes, they have 2 cr123a's (surefire brand) for $5.00. Id suggest the fenix p2dce. it is 180 lumens on high, and is currently my brightest light. it uses a cree q5 led and is 53.00 at brightguy.com. it will make your minimag look like a candle compared to the fenix. its waterproof and everything. also it has 6 modes, 12, 55, 105, 180, strobe, sos. it would suit your needs. but if you want a aa powered go for the fenix p2d Q5, it has all the same specs, but uses 2aa. I hope i helped!

edit:
If you want a high powered led to toy with then get the 2aa coleman max at walmart, its 115 lumens, single mode, 2xaa, and best of all its 25 bucks! although its cheap, its a goodd light, and should not break easily. My only drawback of this light is that the 115 lumens looks like 80 lumens to me.

Last edited:

rockz4532

Enlightened
also if someone could tell me how to post beamshots:shrug: i could give you a comparrason, my lights to compare with are at the bottom of my post.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
:welcome::party:

Don't be afraid of the 123 battery type; while they're not cheaply available at every corner drug store, they can give you a lot more light in a much smaller package. Since a 123 cell is 3 volts, it's providing the power of two AA cells - this means you can have the kind of output you'd get from the Fenix L2D in a roughly *three inch* package, which in this case would be the Fenix P1D (twisty switch) or P2D/PD20 (clicky switch), just choose which switch you'd prefer.

This is notable since the L2D is actually longer than a Minimag; entirely worth it for the kind of output and runtime you can get from the Fenix, but it doesn't quite fit your prerequisites.

Any of the above lights, all of which feature the Cree Q5 emitter, will easily throw 100 feet, and provide a good spillbeam to boot, giving you lots of visibility. Fenix is a good choice for a first "serious" light :thumbsup:

Toaster

Enlightened
All of the lights you listed will illuminate out to 100ft without a problem. But imho it's a stretch to say that any of them will put out an intense/bright medium sized spot at that range. You need something with more juice and a bigger reflector to accomplish that. I suggest you skip the AA format lights and go straight to an 18650/2xCR123 powered format. My preference is for a light that will run on rechargeable 18650s and able to use CR123s as backups since my lights get a lot of use. I would take a look at:

Dereelight CL1H V4
Jetbeam Jet-III PRO I.B.S.
Fenix TK11

They are larger but still pocketable, and the amount of light they put out is in a different league compared to the 1AA/2AA lights.

vol89

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks, how about answering his question? Or maybe send him to a thread with the answer. He said AA light no CR123.

torpeau

Newly Enlightened
[*]AA (2,3,4 AA I don't care) Maybe even persuade me to go CR123 or even C-cell?
[*]Under $60 (I could stretch a bit if I had to)
[*]Somewhat pocket sized (Smaller than a 2cell maglite)
[/LIST]

After I discovered that there was a whole world of bright flashlights well beyond what you find in the gadget catalogs that come in the mail, I went hog wild. I have about 20 and some will be sold or become Xmas presents.

I prefer the CR123s, but have some AA lights. (Buy the CR123s online!!) Here are two that you can buy as 123 lights, but you can add a AA tube so that in an emergency you could easily find batteries. There are others, too.

Olight T10 -- can become a T15
iTP C9 -- can become a C7

ThatGuyBri

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend a 1AA flashlight that can also use Lithium Ion rechargeable 14500s. You'd have a great flashlight now that is convenient to carry and can be "upgraded" later.

NiteCore D10 $60
jetbeam PRO I V2 $75 (over budget but worth a look)
http://bugoutgearusa.com/jetiprov2.html

some interesting reviews:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188278
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204192

I don't think the Fenix work with 14500s but you can't go wrong with them. My only gripe is it is too easy to end up in SOS/Strobe. The L1T/L2T doesn't have strobe/SOS and also has a forward clicky.

Andrewr05

Newly Enlightened
id strongly advise cr123a's, if your worried about cost go online or go to your local lowes, they have 2 cr123a's (surefire brand) for $5.00.
Thanks for the tip ;)
Id suggest the fenix p2dce. it is 180 lumens on high. It uses a cree q5 led and is 53.00 at brightguy.com. Its waterproof and everything. also it has 6 modes, 12, 55, 105, 180, strobe, sos. it would suit your needs.
I was definitely looking into that as well...
It will make your minimag look like a candle compared to the fenix.
Lmao what wouldn't outshine a minimag?
:p

Don't be afraid of the 123 battery type; while they're not cheaply available at every corner drug store, they can give you a lot more light in a much smaller package. Since a 123 cell is 3 volts, it's providing the power of two AA cells - this means you can have the kind of output you'd get from the Fenix L2D in a roughly *three inch* package, which in this case would be the Fenix P1D (twisty switch) or P2D/PD20 (clicky switch), just choose which switch you'd prefer.
That is mostly my concern, even though these lights are extremely well with batteries is just the price increase over AA's that I'm worried about.
This is notable since the L2D is actually longer than a Minimag; entirely worth it for the kind of output and runtime you can get from the Fenix, but it doesn't quite fit your prerequisites.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear.
When I said a 2cell Maglite I was being a wee bit sarcastic as I was referring to a 2 D Cell fullsize Maglite.
I was kind of implicating that I really didn't care about size as long as it wasn't obnoxiously large like a fullsize mag.
(sarcasm is hard to convey over the interweb, especially when the rest of the post was so serious)
Any of the above lights, all of which feature the Cree Q5 emitter, will easily throw 100 feet, and provide a good spillbeam to boot, giving you lots of visibility. Fenix is a good choice for a first "serious" light
Yea I have heard GREAT things about Fenix, they're fairly new to the this forum let alone the U.S.A. correct?
I remember seeing threads from 2007 where people had never heard of them.

If your go the AA route, get some NiMH (eneloop) batteries, they are much better than alkaline for high power flashlights.
I'll not be buying any rechargeables at this point but I definitely intend to get some.
For a pocket sized high power flashlight, check the Dereelight C2H http://www.dereelight.com/c2h.htm
I'll look into that.
All of the lights you listed will illuminate out to 100ft without a problem. But imho it's a stretch to say that any of them will put out an intense/bright medium sized spot at that range. You need something with more juice and a bigger reflector to accomplish that. I suggest you skip the AA format lights and go straight to an 18650/2xCR123 powered format.
I certainly am considering going 123's now that so many people have suggested them.

My preference is for a light that will run on rechargeable 18650s and able to use CR123s as backups since my lights get a lot of use. I would take a look at:

Dereelight CL1H V4
Jetbeam Jet-III PRO I.B.S.
Fenix TK11

They are larger but still pocketable, and the amount of light they put out is in a different league compared to the 1AA/2AA lights.
I was just worried about the availability but since this is more for fun and I won't be using them as often as someone who had to I could definitely get the 123's and not eat through them that much.

After I discovered that there was a whole world of bright flashlights well beyond what you find in the gadget catalogs that come in the mail, I went hog wild. I have about 20.
I don't have bottomless pockets but I plan on having a few different lights for backup purposes or different uses.
I just wanted my first "good" light to be a shocker, I want to use it when I go to my camp, use it in my backyard (possibly as a small spotlight to view some animals I hear), plus I want to be able to awe people with my kickass light and to just generally have one in case I need a flashlight. (other than the 5-6 "normal/crappy" incandescent lights I have around the house)

I prefer the CR123s, but have some AA lights. (Buy the CR123s online!!)
I'll have a mix of AA and "other" lights within a year If I get into lights as much as I hope I will...
Here are two that you can buy as 123 lights, but you can add a AA tube so that in an emergency you could easily find batteries. There are others, too.

Olight T10 -- can become a T15
iTP C9 -- can become a C7
Thats pretty cool, those look like pretty decent lights too.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
I think I'm gonna go CR123As.
As for which light, whether I'll use 1 or 2x 123, and whether or not I'll adjust my budget I don't know.
:p

You'll have to persuade me...

Also:
HOLY CRAP!
Is it any good?

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Keep in mind that you shouldn't pay more than $2 a cell for a quality CR123 battery (Energizer, Duracell, Panasonic/Surefire), anyplace that charges more than this (most brick & mortar stores) is just ripping you off. The good AAs (Energizer Lithiums) are usually $2 a cell also, so it evens out.

sawlight

Enlightened
How about TWO lights for $60? Including batteries?
The 2AA Sportsmans Extreme at WalMart really is a kick butt light for $20.
Then a true "poormans throw monster" the Lowes Taskforce 2C with the Cree "50% brighter bulb" for $30.
Both will fit in a pocket, and both have lots of "WOW" factor, and great "bang for buck" lights.
No odd cells, and it will get you're feet wet or what you are about to get into:crackup:

Andrewr05

Newly Enlightened
Yea I just ventured into the "Budget Light" threads and I'm quite impressed at some of those lights...
:O

Seems like I could get a pretty extreme light for $60?
Screw my initial wants/needs :)P), what is the best quality and brightest LED light I can get for under $60?

mdocod

Flashaholic
The P1D and P2D get over-recommended IMO. They are GREAT lights for anyone who intends to run them on CR123 primary cells. If you are only going through a few cells a year, then it's a perfect setup.

But if you think are going to be using the light a lot, and might be headed for rechargeable cells some day, the P1D and P2D are poor options as they do not support the common 3.7V rechargeable li-ion chemistry cells. While there are some variations on 3.0V RCR123s, they introduce complexity into the situation in various ways. Especially if you might start to add more li-ion powered lights into your collection in the future (you will, it's impossible to resist, lol :) )

Here's the basic routine.

1. New member to CPF requests help picking out a new flashlight. (BTW WELCOME TO CPF!!!)
2. Member hints at interest in rechargeable options in the future (as you have done).
3. LED forum regulars default to P1D or P2D.
4. New CPF member LOVES his new flashlight, is using it CONSTANTLY, and realized that an investment in rechargeable cells would really be the best solution.
5. New CPF member asks the regular weekly question in the batteries/electronics forum "What rechargeable for my P1D/P2D?"
6. Me, or one of a few others have to explain that the only options for recharge-ability that allow the flashlight to operate correctly are lousy in many ways.

So how can we solve this problem?
Simple, there are dozens of very well made 1xCR123 and 2xCR123 size flashlights out there that have excellent rechargeable options with li-ion cells. All CPF members have to do is make a habit of recommending them.

----------------------------------------

Having said that, if you are willing to make a rechargeable investment up front, then it really doesn't matter if you go with an AA based light or a CR123 based light. As an AA eneloop is a great rechargeable cell that will drive any high output 1xAA or 2xAA LED flashlight without breaking a sweat. Good AA NIMH cells like eneloops are cheaper per cell than li-ion cells, so that's a benefit in their direct, but a good quality charger in either direction is going to run you $20-50. The benefit to going li-ion, is higher voltage from a single cell, which generally means that the lights that are designed around them, can be designed to run a little brighter.

With Fenix in mind, I would say check out the TK20 if you are interested in AA cells. If you are thinking about going into a li-ion powered light, something like a TK11 (if you wanted to stick with fenix), but there are many other li-ion powered flashlights out there.

If size doesn't matter, a 2xCR123 light that supports a single 18650 cell as a rechargeable option is always a great way to go, as you can get really good runtime from either the 2xCR123 or 1x18650 li-ion cell.

-----------------------------------------

I've opened up a huge can of worms here, and I may have used some unfamiliar terms here (like 18650), so if you are interested in seeing how far the rabbit hole goes, just fire a few questions right here and I'll keep an eye out for em. If you would like to keep things simple, there are plenty of great AA powered lights out there, but most of them will benefit from running on NIMH cells (both in runtime and performance), especially eneloops.

Eric

sawlight

Enlightened
Local and easy, there is this: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209624

There are a whole slew of items at Kai Domain, just be paitent, and don't expect high quality.
The new EX and DX lights from nightcore are good if you can get past the UI.
Watch CPF market place, look for something in you're price range then research it here. Lots of deal over there!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Maybe I can persuade you to start with 18650 Li-ion batteries? Think 2 CR123 lights but with a slightly larger battery.

For 2 AA, 100 ft shouldn't be too much of a problem. The lights from Nitecore, Fenix, Jetbeam(especially because of the larger reflector they use), iTP, and Eagletac should all work.

For 2AA, I'd recommend starting with the Fenix L2T V2.0, LD20, or the iTP C8. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store/4Sevens is "CPF8".

:welcome:

Andrewr05

Newly Enlightened
AA questions:
I heard that these are just a good as the eneloops but they are quite a bit cheaper...

Thoughts?

and If I were to go eneloop is this a good package deal?

Other questions:
Will this actually output 500 lumens or is it one of those factory overspec things?

I see a lot of (what appear to be) good deals on dealextreme.com, are they any good and should I look out for anything specific on their site?

I did not search the forum but I did a "quick" Google search and came up with nothing, what exactly are the differences between 10440, 14430, 14500, 14650, 17500, 17670 and 18650 cells?
I'm assuming mostly length correct?

Assuming I found a way to charge them I could use any obscure sized cell that fit into a flashlight and fell into the voltage range correct?

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
AA questions:
I heard that these are just a good as the eneloops but they are quite a bit cheaper...

Thoughts?

and If I were to go eneloop is this a good package deal?

Only go with the LSD ("Low Self Discharge", or "Hybrid") batteries if you don't plan on using your flashlight often. Standard NiMH batteries will give you a notably better runtime for a frequently used light.

Other questions:
Will this actually output 500 lumens or is it one of those factory overspec things?

I see a lot of (what appear to be) good deals on dealextreme.com, are they any good and should I look out for anything specific on their site?

DealExtreme = factory overspecs things. I would advise against getting anything from them until you've gotten a lot more experience with the hobby and want to start building/modding your own lights. The lights they carry are inexpensive for a variety of reasons, and their shipping can be excruciatingly slow.

I did not search the forum but I did a "quick" Google search and came up with nothing, what exactly are the differences between 10440, 14500, 17670 and 18650 cells?
I'm assuming mostly length correct?

Assuming I found a way to charge them I could use any obscure sized cell that fit into a flashlight and fell into the voltage range correct?

The differences are indeed size. 10440 = AAA cell size, 14500 = AA, the other sizes/numbers are unique and don't have a primary analogue. They all charge to 4.2 volts when hot off the charger, so they pack a lot of energy into a standard sized cell.

There are a range of li-ion battery specific chargers that you can buy that can accommodate some/most li-ion cells. Both the charger and the "protected" type cells (unprotected cells are not recommended) have their own safety features to ensure safe operation, as the battery must always remain within a certain voltage range even when in storage, going above or below the range can either kill the battery or cause it to explode. Be sure to read up on these before diving into them.

DO NOT use a li-ion cell in any device that doesn't specifically say it can accept them (you can also check with some of the reviewers/users here to see if a specific light can accept li-ions). A store-shelf 2xAA flashlight, for example, is meant to run at the < 3 volts that a pair of standard AAs would supply. If you put a pair of Li-ions in it, you'd be putting 8+ volts through it. A very fast and easy way to kill a flashlight, or any device for that matter.