Weird led

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so I got a new "R2" AAA flashlight. Weird thing is it seemed kinda yellow, and not a warm yellow, just a bright yellow light. So after closer inspection with my jewelry loupe I'm looking at it and the whole led is covered in phosphor. I'm talking the die the contact plates and even the gold bond wires are coated in thick phosphor. The phosphor is thick too almost like a fuzzy powder. Anyone else have an led like this? I don't think it's an authentic cree, this is the new buckle light, though the flashlight is Aurora, which I think is a decent brand. Also what makes me suspicious is the outer ring isn't a bright smooth silver but is kinda darker silver with coppery splotches.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
yellow core crees used to be how crees look, only until recently silver backed crees began appearing around Q5-R2 bins, from what I have seen most "R2s" appear to be the silver backed versions :thinking:

conventional cree style [before Q4 there are only 3 bond wires, this pic is a Q4]

New cree style

I am not aware of tint variations in crees unlike SSCs or luxeons...could you provide us with a pic [or a sku number if you bought this from DX]?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12849

This one's mine, looks like even on the site it's yellow. On second thought it's only the hotspot that's yellow because the side light is yellower because of the phosphor, kinda like my P7 light. So the reflector makes a kinda yellower beam because it rflects the side emitted yellower light.

Last edited: