hi there help modding

bebop1034

Newly Enlightened
well i want to thank you guys first of all for having such a great forum. i stumbled upon this by accident actually by just surfing the web and by some freak chance i realized in my mind i wanna modify my flash lights :sssh: lol. so i was hoping to get some help from you guys for my first little projects.

so so far this is what i have

from left to right..... 2 solitaires i had three but i had to throw one away due to my ignorance trying for the first time to put an LED in. so im gonna go get maybe 2 more later on for the heck of it. one mad in china light to mess with a brinkman and a surefire G3 i think it was and i have a G2 but its not shown.

so im looking to modify my solitaires to LED's if possible id like them fairly bright i dunno if thats realistic or not but id like to try anything you guys have to give me. i know its probably not the best thing in the world when theres the LOD and Fenix EO1 which i have one on the way by the way :whistle: .....but i know the solitaires are simple and easier to modify than bigger lights so ya. id like to use it as my start off :) taking electrical classes next semester too so it will give me a good place to start practice

Last edited:

bebop1034

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the links i'll check them all out was hoping to get some personal ones from you guys though :thumbsup: cause i have searched google quite a bit

bebop1034

Newly Enlightened
i like simple yet this one i want to be good and complicated so i can have a challenge since these little lights are so cheap anyway :) so im deciding the mess around with the one i messed up. smart OL me decided to try using a soldering iron to melt out the reflector. and messed that part up everything else is just fine though. ive heard from what i have read that i dont need the reflector really with LED's any way. so this is what i have with me right now

one solitaire

one 5mm bulb unknown type i took it out of another little light that i got for free

some solder

electrical tape

4 MN21/23 batteries

no resistors yet gotta find a place near me to go get some

what could i do with what i have??

Rossymeister

Enlightened
A Few Questions:

-What Color Is The LED?

Different LEDs Have Different Vf`s. The Definition Of Vf Is:

Q: What's "Vf"?
A: Vf is the term for an LED's forward voltage. Forward voltage is the voltage required to activate an LED. For example, if you want to power a Cree XR-E at 150mA, it needs about 3V. If you want to power it at 700mA or thereabouts, the Vf will rise to about 3.8V. It's like a minimum activation voltage for particular currents.

Is The Window Still Installed On The Solitaire?

Since The Solitaire Uses A Friction Based Switch, A Window Needs To Be Present To Hold The Light In Its OFF Position.

bebop1034

Newly Enlightened
ya the window is still in place its got a small nick right in the middle from the soldering iron but other than that its still there im just trying to work on getting the reflector out of it right now. the LED shines a bright white color

bebop1034

Newly Enlightened
also in the old light it runs off of 3 AG13 button batteries unsure what the voltage is on there i think it might be 1 per button