Unsure.. E1L or G3?

Zen|th

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for a light tat has a long runtime. E1L is only 45 lumens but with

the TIR lens, will it be brighter than the G3L with around constant 60

lumens for 5.8 hours..? And it says the E1L has about 8.5 hours at 45

lumens.. Im confused on which one to buy..

HKJ

Flashaholic
The run time for Surefire lights are usual total runtime, i.e. it includes the "out of regulation time" and that time can be very long.
What size light do your want, the G3L and the E1L are not exatly the same size.

Surefire lights are not really god at long runtime, because they are a bit slow to adapt the newest leds. The newest led generation started about a year ago and has about twice the efficiency of the previous generation (One of these leds are Cree XR-E Q5).

To get an idea about runtime of different light, check some reviews, either in our own review section or some other places: http://www.light-reviews.com/ or http://cpfreviews.com/

HKJ

Flashaholic
I don really bother about the size really.. im just looknig for runtime.. But do u think tat the E1L is brighter than the G3L? since it has the TIR lens

I do not have either of the two lights (I have E1B, L1, G2L), but the TIR lens is good at concentrating the light in a small beam. This might make the E1L brighter, but then it will not give as much light outside the central beam.

Zen|th

Newly Enlightened
I do not have either of the two lights (I have E1B, L1, G2L), but the TIR lens is good at concentrating the light in a small beam. This might make the E1L brighter, but then it will not give as much light outside the central beam.

Ya i get you too.. I have a E1B myself.. So iwas hoping the E1L would beat the G3L or maybe come close to it.. the E1L looks very good :twothumbs. But the G3L has such a long runtime!!! :D So im lost..:green:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Ya i get you too.. I have a E1B myself.. So iwas hoping the E1L would beat the G3L or maybe come close to it.. the E1L looks very good :twothumbs. But the G3L has such a long runtime!!! :D So im lost..:green:

Remember that the G3L has 3 times the power (3 batteries) of E1L, even with a older and more inefficient led than E1L, it will win in runtime.

And I believe that your can get even better runtime from G3L with a malkoff dropin: P60LL 80 lumen for 8 hour in G2
Your will get about 50% extra runtime with a G3 compared to a G2.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

Kestrel

Flashaholic
And I believe that your can get even better runtime from G3L with a malkoff dropin: P60LL 80 lumen for 8 hour in G2

+1 on the M60LL drop-in, with better modularity/upgradeability compared to the 'sealed' SureFires. You can drop it into better hosts or add a rechargeable battery system later, options you don't really have (for the most part) with the E1x.

And that's ~12 hours of regulated output (compared to the total usable output that SF states) from the 3-cell SureFires. You should expect another 3+ hours of very usable light from a G3 (or better yet, a 9P) after the M60LL drops out of regulation. So really you are talking about 15+ hours of great light from a 3-cell body.

Unless you also want the additional low output option of the E1x, L1, etc...:whistle:

Just buy both. I guarantee that both of them will end up being very useful, a small EDC and a larger utility 3-cell flashlight.

edit: oops, you already have an E1B. So try out a 3-cell w/ the M60LL, you won't be disappointed.:)

Last edited:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
if you can find, get the single stage E2L. it has a regulated runtime of 9hours! :twothumbs

the best thing is it does not get even near warm, no worries about termal damage & practically can be handheld till batteries go flat! :popcorn:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for the E1L, for its 2 stage single cell setup. Many upgrades path with this e-series. Add a F04 beamshaper and you get spill as well. I do not have the latest variant but I do have the previous Lux version which is already a useful compact light.

Zen|th

Newly Enlightened
Remember that the G3L has 3 times the power (3 batteries) of E1L, even with a older and more inefficient led than E1L, it will win in runtime.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

Does malkoff have a warranty? like if the bulb were to blow will i be able to have a warranty replacement or do i have to just get another one? I was hoping for the P61L to be released.. Because like SureFire said, they will replace any LEDs which breaks or goes wrong for ur whole lifetime.. So i need have to worry about the LED anymore:thumbsup:

Oh ya and by the way, i already have a G2, 6PDL and E1B.. So maybe just by buying a malkoff to put into my G2 would be a better choice(incandescents are just too expensive for me to maintain)? My P60 bulb is just lying there doing nothing..
rolleye11.gif