which light for your daughter?

60ndown

Banned
with my new 'obsession" with lights, i can see the value as winter daylight hours approach in my 23 year old daughter having a good light in her purse/pocket always.

which smaller light would you prefer your daughter have ?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a budget in mind? How willing is your daughter to play with gadgets and gizmos?

-Trevor

HKJ

Flashaholic
with my new 'obsession" with lights, i can see the value as winter daylight hours approach in my 23 year old daughter having a good light in her purse/pocket always.

which smaller light would you prefer your daughter have ?

A Fenix L0D in red, lots of light for its small size.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my mife a P1DCE, but a CR123 in it, and stuck in in her purse. I know she has as much light as she is likely to need, and that the battery will be good at elast until she needs it or I replace it in my annual "replace the emergency light batteies" session in January. She has used it a few times, and always tells me about it...as if I didn't know how cool it is to be the one person with a light when it is needed!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LOD or maybe an L1D if you don't think she would mind something larger.I would also suggest a Photon II or Freedom for her keychain if she doesn't already have one.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Depending on size/brightness preference, and how many features she wants or can handle:

Photon Freedom
E01/LOD
P1D/EX10
L1T/LD10/D10
L2T/LD20/D20

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
lod seems complicated

multiple twists of the light to change lumens,

ok for us flashlight junkies but for a girl?

Your can just twist it on/off, your do not need to use the other levels.

But it is very easy to just, just turn it off and then on again fast, to select next level and it is impossible to get really lost, just turn it off for a few seconds and your can start over again.

Marduke

Flashaholic
lod seems complicated

multiple twists of the light to change lumens,

ok for us flashlight junkies but for a girl?

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Fenix_L0D_Q4.php

It's super easy to use. To use, just twist on. That's it. Want another mode? Just twist off and back on. That's it.

Even my mom could figure it out, and if you knew her relationship with anything technical whatsoever, you would appreciate just what that means.

JWP_EE

Enlightened
About 5 years ago I got my daughter a CMG infinity ultra. She's a geologist. At the time she was working on her masters and spending a lot of time in the field.

She wanted a light to read with and to light her tent for a few hours a night. The infinity gave her about a week of light. She said it was her second best tool. Her leatherman will always be number one.;)

If I was getting her a light today, it would be a Fenix L1D. About the same run time on low but brighter when needed.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I gave my ex-gf (similar age) an E01 in olive and as far as I know it's still on her keychain many months later. It's forgettable until you need it, then it comes in real handy.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without any mention of budget or defining what "small" is...
How about a SureFire L1? It's bright, well built, relatively small (shouldn't be too difficult to keep in her purse), and nearly indestructible. Press on the tailcap, get 10 lumens; press further and she gets 65+ lumens. Simple and great interface. Are CR123 lights a problem for her though?

Robert

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My daughters have solitaires with LED drop-ins, but they are 5 and 7 and that was my best option at the time for getting them pink and yellow flashlights for camping, which happened to be the only way that I could keep them from loosing them... When I wanted to get my 20 something sister a light, I got her a 6P with both bulbs, a battery carrier, and made a modified KL3 for long runtimes.

If I had to do it again today, i'd probably get her a Nitecore D10 and a pack of Energizer lithiums. I just don't think you can beat that price/performance
right now. A L1 or E1B would be great too, but force her to order batteries online or get robbed locally to feed it.