Bird control and lasers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhosaki

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the recently closed thread where a person was asking about lasers for use in bird control:

I think that rather than immediately halting discussion on this topic that it should be open for more discussion. The use of lasers for bird control is becoming more and more prevalent in the pest control industry and we (Laserglow) have many customers who are professional bird controllers. These people have, up to this point, been using falcons, noisemakers, guns and whatever else they can muster to control pesky and dangerous birds in industrial or commercial settings and this is a valid and necessary use for a laser.

In fact, while lasers and airplanes are generally considered to be mortal enemies, many of my customers are using lasers to control flocks of birds at airports around the world, limiting what is potentially a deadly threat to pilots whose planes can be brought down by a flock of birds on or near a runway. This is not animal abuse by yahoos seeking to blind inncent birds, it is a serious industry that is needed to control birds at factories, farms, airports and public monuments around the world.

Nobody ever learned anything new by being told not to talk about it, and this is a new and developing field that provides a serious professional use for a handheld laser. So much talk on these laser forums is about balloon popping and match lighting, and yet a legitmate use for lasers is censored because it involves a flock of birds? If the laser is used correctly the birds would no be harmed, and in fact the act of scaring them away from a dangerous site like an oil refinery or airport may be saving many of them. The alternative for many of the clients is a gun, and I think that we can all agree that it is preferable to move the animals or scare them away rather than shooting them.

Any thoughts on this topic?

shomie911

Enlightened
I agree that a topic about a legitimate use of a laser as opposed to "playing around" with one shouldn't have been closed.

comozo

Enlightened
I pm'd bart and pointed him to this laser device the Avian Dissuader.

I think the reason Bart locked the thread is a. he was not aware of this device and b. he did not want to promote the inappropriate use of a laser device not designed for that specific purpose of scaring birds.

Last edited:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I expect it was locked on the grounds that people already do stupid things with lasers, and we try not to encourage them here. I hadn't known that there was any legitimate activity in this area and thought just from the title that we'd get %%!! kids running around and blinding passing geese for "fun".

Illum

Flashaholic
I've PMed to b@rt about the topic being rather inappropriate for open dicussion, plus adding that the op made a second thread in general light discussions concernm the same topic. Apparently bart closed off the latter but allowed the topic to stay open may be an indication that the ice will hold lest it not become cluttered with jeers:ohgeez:

jhosaki

Newly Enlightened
I think if we can keep the discussion on-track and relating to the legitmate commercial use of lasers for bird control that we can expect to keep the thread open. If people start joking around about blinding birds for no good reason then I agree that this is not appropriate. I guess we'll see if this forum is mature enough to handle this sort of discussion, because I think it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.