Electrical Panel Replacement Light

A little unusual of a post for you, but I'm going to be replacing a service panel soon. Now usually I'd run a generator but lets face it- most of the time is going to be spent removing wires and reconnecting breakers- a single light is probably more than sufficient.

That said- Any ideas or flashlights (or lights) that I can direct-drive at 12V (or maybe with a cheap regulator) and install them as emergency lighting to light the box as I work?

I've got a nice 1/2 watt head mounted unit that provides more than enough light to work on with 2xAAAs.

Special bonus if the flashlight can also take 2x CR123A LiFePO4 batteries (since I want 'safe' for my wife and daughter).

Suggestions obviously welcome :)

Jason

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
Since you will probably be running to the attic and climbing and working into the night a good AA run headlamp. This is simply because you'll need your hands free to struggle with all that wiring. If you want to run rechargable CR123a batteries then a SF-P60 with a Q5 multimode dropin would be a good use. Remember most of time you wont need 300+ lumens of light a good 100-50 lumens is good for inside work repair better on vision.

To light the box I dont think you have time to modd a 12v Ryobi or Black and Decker into Led. So try a Tripod style led Black and Decker or a led snake light..seen at walmart in the paint dept.
:D

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For panel work, I'd just suggest a good headlight. Good for electrical work doesn't mean a headlight that uses 5mm l.e.d.s or 1/2 watt l.e.d.s. These tend to be too blueish to distinguish wire colors. For my dad's birthday, he got a Princeton Tec EOS II headlight. He's an electrical contractor. Now the 50 lumen EOS with a rebel l.e.d. is available cheaper and that's what I'd suggest for your work. The beam is square shaped with rounded corners. Perfect for a square or rectangular panel. Tint is pure to warm white for identifying wires. It has no rear battery pack so it's more comfortable for those jobs where you have to work on your back. If you're replacing the panel, you're not going to want something in the panel to get in the way when dealing with the wires or taking out the breakers. You won't want something on top of the panel because it will fall down. A light behind or beside you won't shine into the panel well. A good headlight will. If you need a regular flashlight, you can probably get one that runs on the same battery as a cordless drill you'll be using to take off the panel. (I assume you'll be using a cordless drill because the power will be out and using a screwdriver is slow when people are waiting to get their power back on.) Dewalt, Ridgid, Makita, Ryobi, Craftsman, and others all make these lights. I wouldn't suggest trying to change them to use l.e.d.s as the l.e.d.s probably won't show the wire colors as well.

Marduke

Flashaholic
How about staying safe with NiMH cells. It doesn't get any safer.

Something like the Energizer Hard Case Pro 100lm Cree headlamp. <$50 shipped, has a flip up diffuser for close up work, decent throw to illuminate that car corner of the attic with the diffuser flipped down, and has great runtime of AA cells. It's also tough as nails.

http://www.light-reviews.com/energizer_hcp_4led_headlight/
http://www.botachtactical.com/enhaprhe.html

Well, I could, but I also was looking to get a flashlight or three for around the house- and I haven't seen much by way of 2xAAs. Anything that takes C cells can be used with the adapters but the 3xAAAs would seem to imply that the lights aren't regulated- another reason to stay away from them.

That light is overkill :) I had to laugh at all the modes though. Impressive for sure.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's 3xAA, not 3xAAA. Check the runtime graph for it, it has decent pseudo-regulation.

White is only two modes, low and high. Nothing "crazy" about that.

It's hard to find many regulated headlamps for safety reasons. Any that are tend to be more expensive for shielding.