Tiablo A8 supercharge

ergotelis

Enlightened
I just finished one of my mods.
The host, a tiablo A8 Q5(original one )
the parts, a switch and a 7882 board from an infamous shop and a R2 WG emitter from Erasmus. Putting another switch had to be done because the stock one died during testing. I also own a cheap lux meter which seems to read lower than everyone's readings. I set the 7882 amperage to 1,4amperes and here we go:

Tiablo A8 Q5 stock(1amp) : 14500 lux
DBS R2 WH with UCL and 2SD circuit(1,2amp ):23000 lux
Tiablo A8 R2 WG +7882(1,4amp) : 21000 lux

ergotelis

Enlightened
Results are amazing, puting a ucl to the Tiablo should give a bit more lux, measuring almost the same output with the great DBS!
According to others lux readings with good meters, a tiablo A8 Q2 should have about 16000-18000 lux. So, with simple math, my A8 should be reaching about almost 30.000 lux!Testing to be continued, by swapping the UCL lens from DBS to Tiablo(and the opposite) for further lux reading.

Pics to come soon, now a bit tired. Next mod will be with DBS and the 7882 board, to get over 35000 lux!!!

Special thanks to StefanFS for the great ideas!!!

(for admins: why can't i make one big post? I get timed out message)

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Results are amazing, puting a ucl to the Tiablo should give a bit more lux, measuring almost the same output with the great DBS!
According to others lux readings with good meters, a tiablo A8 Q2 should have about 16000-18000 lux. So, with simple math, my A8 should be reaching about almost 30.000 lux!Testing to be continued, by swapping the UCL lens from DBS to Tiablo(and the opposite) for further lux reading.

Pics to come soon, now a bit tired. Next mod will be with DBS and the 7882 board, to get over 35000 lux!!!

Special thanks to StefanFS for the great ideas!!!

(for admins: why can't i make one big post? I get timed out message)

Hej,

I recommend that you stay at a more modest 1.25-1.3A for heat and runtime reasons in the DBS, but 1.4A will of course work. I agree, the results are great when you put a serious driver and a better emitter in these lights.

Stefan

ergotelis

Enlightened
I have to admit that, because we are flashaholics, i would rather get the max out from the led and shorten its life.Anyway, by the time the next nice led comes out, i might upgrade. And if the led dies, it is not costing too much.
I have an IR thermometer, i will make some measurements on the surface of the led to see how much it heats. I will also measure temperature in other led cores that are driven in less ampere to see the difference.
I think that the heatsinking is excellent, i have made a good heatsinking, the board is a 20mm board trimmed to fit exactly to the body of Tiablo and heatsink compound is everywhere, even around the emitter in order to make contact to the reflector to get some cooling from it .
Also, Stefan, have you measured the efficiency of this board?I get 1,4Ampere not on the emitter but on the battery ,but i assume that the emitter should be getting more than 1,3Ampere. Thanks for your comments!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been several versions of the board, the white version had a slightly better inductor and was (I feel) a bit more efficient. I haven't been calculating efficiency, I've just done runtimes with this board and Q5 & R2 emitters. Since I get a flatline discharge for 90+ minutes and an AW 18650 has around 2000 mAh I'd venture to say that efficiency is high. It's a voltage regulator-booster in the beginning with one 18650 it's almost direct drive, when cell voltage goes down it slightly boosts the voltage. Current to emitter have been slightly more than the battery draw in the ones I have had.

With my DBS V2 and this driver and a low vf Q5, 31 000 Lux in throw, battery draw is ~1.25A on high.

MMinDBS.jpg

(From this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190499)

ergotelis

Enlightened
So, with a simple calculation, 1,25amp * 97min= 121,25 , a good AW should give 2,2amp * 60 min = 132 so, efficiency is 121,25*100 / 132= 92% not bad at all, assuming that AW might not be up to specs! :thumbsup:
Also, all of my boards are blue, i have never seen a white one, maybe they were expensive enough and are not still in production.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

if you have the light meter i suspect then it is the same as mine which came from the same infamous dealer....

Mine reads about 30+ lower than the meterman aersanda has (compared to the same lights).

So your readings multiplied accordingly gives you over 30000.

got to go the lady boss is calling..kostas