three volt lithium AA cells.

CNC Dan

Enlightened
I have been looking into three volt AA cells.

From another thread it seems some CRV3 photo bateries have two lithium manganese dioxide cells in parellel.

Other CRV3's have two Lithium Iron Disulphide cells in series.

So if you want to get some three volt AA cells look for CRV3 batteries that have lithium manganese dioxide chemistery.

Note also that many "incorporate a PTC device to prevent overheating and excess discharging current". I don't know if this is in the cells or in the pack.

It looks like you can also get them from CRV6 batteries too.

See: link

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
CNC Dan,

The Radio $hack and Duracell CRV3 packs I took apart have the 3V cells paralleled, but not the US-made Energiser. There was no visable circuitry in the packs, so any thermal protection would have to be in the cells themselves. Kudos to ab for originally discovering this, and the other person(?) who clued me onto the Duracells!
(Edit: Dan, thanks for that link!)

Larry

paulr

Flashaholic
Those are 3.6 volt cells, not 3 volt. They are NOT suitable for use in flashlights except very low current LED flashlights (Tek-tite Micro-Lith). They are intended to power computer backup memory. They have tremendous capacity but only at low current drain. They will keep the CMOS memory in your computer alive for years and years. But the max current draw recommended by the manufacturer is about 20 milliamps. Don't use them in an LS or incandescent flashlight.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
paulr,

You are correct on the 3.6V cells. Back when, I tried using Tadirans 3.6V liths to run LEDs- beyond 1 LED, not worth a darn! The 3V ones in the CRV3 packs are a different story.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash:

The link says:
"Cells: Two-15LF in series"

It also says "Lithium.Iron Disulfide" which CNC Dan identified as a 1.5 V chemistry.

I can't imagine that means anything other than 2 * 1.5 V.

paulr

Flashaholic
There was another thread where someone took some CRV3's apart and found that some of them contained a single 3 volt (prismatic?) cell and others contained two 3V cylindrical cells in parallel. Two 1.5V cells is a variation I hadn't heard before. Anyway it looks like there are several ways to make these things.