Thrower fascination

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
Greetings all,

Over the past few months, I've really learned quite a bit after surfing around here when it comes to lights. I've always loved throwers, and so far, I've acquired a Dereelight DBS V2 1SM-1 Q5, two Tiablo A9's, and a Regalight WT-1 as they are dedicated throwers. Of course, I always want better, and I always want another one!

From what I've read, the DBS is the king of throw and is heavily favored because it is easy to upgrade. I do love it, but I also am very partial to my A9's and the WT-1 is quite the thrower for its size.

What am I totally missing when it comes to throwers? I have seen the two Raidfire Spears for sale on the Marketplace, and trust me, it's very tempting to get one, but I'm not a fan of rechargeables and prefer primaries. Are any of you throw fanatics who have the lights I do, or can tell me what I'm missing? And can you tell me what your fascination is with throwers? For me, it's the ability to light up things at a distance while I'm out with my dog or out camping, and I tend to favor them over the Surefire's and other lights I either own or have owned.

Just trying to figure out if I should take the dive and go ahead with the Spear, knowing it's no longer made and could nicely augment my collection, and what I am missing that would help me reach thrower nirvana.

Last edited:

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Seems to me your missing an aspherical light! Amazing throw. Have you seen Saabluster's DEFT in the marketplace? If your on a budget KD's mag drop-in is great as well.

As for why i love having throw? Showing off of course!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting 18650 batteries and one of the 3SD, or 1S 4.2v pills will send 1.2A to the emitter and give you more throw. I think there are some Cree R2 pills available from Dereelight and the new USA based Dereelight dealer.

More current to the emitter = more throw. :)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings all,

Over the past few months, I've really learned quite a bit after surfing around here when it comes to lights. I've always loved throwers, and so far, I've acquired a Dereelight DBS V2 1SM-1 Q5, two Tiablo A9's, and a Regalight WT-1 as they are dedicated throwers. Of course, I always want better, and I always want another one!

From what I've read, the DBS is the king of throw and is heavily favored because it is easy to upgrade. I do love it, but I also am very partial to my A9's and the WT-1 is quite the thrower for its size.

What am I totally missing when it comes to throwers? I have seen the two Raidfire Spears for sale on the Marketplace, and trust me, it's very tempting to get one, but I'm not a fan of rechargeables and prefer primaries. Are any of you throw fanatics who have the lights I do, or can tell me what I'm missing? And can you tell me what your fascination is with throwers? For me, it's the ability to light up things at a distance while I'm out with my dog or out camping, and I tend to favor them over the Surefire's and other lights I either own or have owned.

Just trying to figure out if I should take the dive and go ahead with the Spear, knowing it's no longer made and could nicely augment my collection, and what I am missing that would help me reach thrower nirvana.
I have the Tiablo A9 and a Spear. I like the Spear WAY more than the Tiablo. I say get it. It is still in the same general ball park as the other two you have so if you are looking for something LED based with more throw than those pretty much your only alternatives are an aspheric mag or the DEFT which I make. The mag aspheric is fairly easy to DIY and at a reasonable cost. The DEFT is larger but not longer than a mag and has about three times the throw as the aspheric mag. If you want more than this I suggest going HID. The POB is a good place to start.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings all,

You need a HID!

The Amondotech N30 is great option for not a lot more money than a DBS... Check it out:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/n30-3161.html

Zenster

Enlightened
The two best recommendations made earlier in this thread jump right out:

1. Get the Deree 3SD/R2 module and use 18650 batteries to get the absolute best throw you can get from your DBS. You can always switch back to your 1SM for when you want to run primaries in a power-out emergency.

2. You NEED an HID light. Mine is the AE Xenide 25W which, when compared to the entire range of HID lights from cheap to expensive, I think gives the most bang for the buck in not only lighting, but runtime (2-hours) and convenience.

Adding more lights to your collection such as the Spear will at best be redundant, but upgrading your DBS and/or adding a good HID will give you more of what you're looking for.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
My $.02 is that the Spear doesn't offer any advantage over the DBS other than 18650 cells. But you can easily upgrade your DBS to an 18650 light with a better pill.
I also would echo the need for an aspheric cree light as well as looking into an HID. If you want maximum throw and don't care about size get a Mega Illuminator. A little smaller you can find a Power on Board HID really cheap at Sam's Club. For even more compact the above linked N30.
I'm getting closer to having my own DEFT from sabluster! :naughty: But for an immediate upgrade to LED throw look into the aspherical for sure.

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the replies! So if I understand and have read up correctly, purchasing the 3SD/R2 module and 18650 batteries would be the easiest and probably the most cost effective fix for the DBS to add throw, and I can use that in the light I have now by simply exchanging the pill and batteries, right? I take it this would be the ease of interchangeability everyone likes and favors about the DBS. Also, how much more throw would I get by doing the upgrade?

Alll this talk about HID lights has made me venture into that arena and start looking around. HID really does stand for 'hide it, dude', as in my wallet.

Lastly, I'm trying to figure out how much I really am missing by not using rechargeables, but all the talk about unprotected and protected, and overcharging and damaging lights is what's dissuaded me from pursuing it further. Does anyone have a link to a very good, easy to follow comprehensive guide to rechargeables that won't make my head spin?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for all the replies! So if I understand and have read up correctly, purchasing the 3SD/R2 module and 18650 batteries would be the easiest and probably the most cost effective fix for the DBS to add throw, and I can use that in the light I have now by simply exchanging the pill and batteries, right? I take it this would be the ease of interchangeability everyone likes and favors about the DBS. Also, how much more throw would I get by doing the upgrade?

Alll this talk about HID lights has made me venture into that arena and start looking around. HID really does stand for 'hide it, dude', as in my wallet.

Lastly, I'm trying to figure out how much I really am missing by not using rechargeables, but all the talk about unprotected and protected, and overcharging and damaging lights is what's dissuaded me from pursuing it further. Does anyone have a link to a very good, easy to follow comprehensive guide to rechargeables that won't make my head spin?

So if I understand and have read up correctly, purchasing the 3SD/R2 module and 18650 batteries would be the easiest and probably the most cost effective fix for the DBS to add throw

Honestly, changing the pill on your DBS will increase throw in perhaps, 5% -- if that. And you'll not be able to notice it.

Well, considering the stupidly amount of raw lumens and throw that you get from HID, it's the most cost-effective solution, bar none. And it's pretty much a turn-key solution, just take it out of the box plug it to an wall outlet and you're ready to go after one hour or two hours. No need to hunt for batteries, rechargers, pills, upgrades, etc. Everything you need is there and it will outperform any LED or incandescent light straight out of the box.:thumbsup:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for all the replies! So if I understand and have read up correctly, purchasing the 3SD/R2 module and 18650 batteries would be the easiest and probably the most cost effective fix for the DBS to add throw,
I all depends on what you want. How much more throw do you want and why. Do you just want a showoff piece or do you want to be able to EDC? The DBS upgrade will be incremental at best and not very noticeable to your eyes without having another one side by side to test against. The Power On Board HID can be had for $30 and is bar non the best lumens per dollar you will find with incredible throw. Downside as with most HIDs is the size and wieght of course but if you just want to feed your desire for throw you may not care.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my 2 cents, I think with a DBS + R2 you have the king of throwers as far as production LED lights go.
If you want to stick with LED lights, the next step is the Custom throwers, these normally involve aspherical lens like Saablusters DEFT.
If you want to dip your toe into aspherical lens, have a look at Kaidomains
aspherical lens/Q5 dropin for the Maglite, its a cheap and cheerful way to mod a Mag with an aspehrical lens.
As mentioned above, if you want the ultimate throw, look at HID lights :)

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
I think portability is a selling point, and I just spent some time on saabluster's thread for his awesome creation, the DEFT.

Oh dear. Here we go. Buh-bye pocket change, hello DEFT.

And I can't say enough good things about the throwers I have right now, and I love and feel lucky with what I have. I bought them based upon input I received here and what I have learned by being a part of this community. Thank you again, everyone. I sincerely appreciate the help.

squaat

Newly Enlightened
how does a fenix tk20 compare to these lights. I am quite impressed by the throw of the tk20. Or are the DBS and spear in a totally different league?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, the DBS and spear are in totally different leagues then anything fenix offers at the moment.

i For one have been very interested in pocket throwers recetly, i just bought a Jet-1, i have a custom from milky made for throw, and the Spartanian on order...:D

Crenshaw

1996alnl

Enlightened
Just out of curiousity how far can the DBS throw a beam? I was thinking of getting one.
My current pocket thrower is a SF E2DL and i love this light but i hear it can't touch a DBS's distance.

Take care

kaimaikid

Newly Enlightened
I have the DBS V2 and can say that I'm really impressed with it... have the 3SD module and it just blows away everything else that I have....

All this talk about HID's is giving me a hard on - need a cold shower now...

Latest posts