Odd request for an LED flashlight.

dberryco

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have an unusual need for a sturdy AA flashlight that has a VERY low output for reading maps/documents in pitch black. Even the worst/cheapest flashlight I've used is too bright. Ideally it would be Single AA and last 6 months on one battery with 1-2 hours a day of use.

Is there such an animal? I'd be willing to gut a cheap flashlight and swap an LED or circuit if that is an option. Red LED would be ok, but a super dim white would do just as well. I know I can put a filter on the end of a regular LED flashlight, but I'd prefer a purpose built light. I don't know how much heat those filters trap during extended use.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Yapo

Enlightened
I too have been searching for a super low light for use in pitch black and my conclusion is the proton pro(newer version of the proton mentioned by jeffb) as it has both dimmable red and white light although the white turns on at high and u have to dim down while red turns on at low so you can adjust it till its bright enough.

i'm just waiting for the exchange rate to get abit better before ordering. The nitecore D10 might also work although i'm not sure if it can get dim enough.

btw :welcome:

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately you arent going to find anything with that much runtime, I mean what you are asking for is over 300 hours! I have two suggestions though. Either a light with programmable output like the nitecore d10 which can give you like 45 hours on 1 battery, or maybe some kind of shake light, I wouldnt know which one though. Those are never very bright and they never run out of juice. I personally would go for the nitecore, or something else with variable output.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could also consider a Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS, according to this site http://britelumens.com/jetbeam_flashlights the minimum output is 2 lumens and it'll last for 50 hourss.

Reason i recommend it is that it's UI is user programable and this gives you versatility. It also runs on AAs, NiMhs, 14500s so you won't be stuck for batteries. I feel that it's good to have something that can suit your needs i.e. reading maps but is also able to put out more light in an emergency.

So instead of carrying one to read your maps and one more for other purposes, you can have it all in one tiny package.

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
Let me be the third to recommend the photon proton.
The regular gets a little dimmer than the pro, so I'd go with that one for your application. Plus it's cheaper.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Photon Pro, Jetbeam IBS lights, the Nitecore lights, Novatac, RA lights, and iTP lights might work.

The Photon Pro seem to be the best choice though.

racerford

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have an unusual need for a sturdy AA flashlight that has a VERY low output for reading maps/documents in pitch black. Even the worst/cheapest flashlight I've used is too bright. Ideally it would be Single AA and last 6 months on one battery with 1-2 hours a day of use.

Is there such an animal? I'd be willing to gut a cheap flashlight and swap an LED or circuit if that is an option. Red LED would be ok, but a super dim white would do just as well. I know I can put a filter on the end of a regular LED flashlight, but I'd prefer a purpose built light. I don't know how much heat those filters trap during extended use.

Thanks in advance!
Dan
Does it have to be AA?

If not how about a SafeLight PALight Survival Light or one of the other models. They are 9v and have a "glow" mode that lasts about a year. The website is not that great, but you can find info on it other places. Even here. www.safe-light.com click on the Gray US and Canada rectangle.

Or Pak-Lite, similar but not as weatherproof, I don't think. I don't have one, but appears to have a low low on the Super model. They claim 600 hours on an alkaline.

There are options.

fredb

Newly Enlightened
Peak Led Solutions can make you such a beast as far as brightness is concerned (less than 1 lumen). The last time I checked they offered this kind of customization at no extra charge. I don't know if the run time will approach what you're looking for--I suspect it won't--but it will certainly last a very long time.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
And those runtimes were done on alkalines werent they? so it should run even longer on energizer E2

Common misconception is that an E2 lithium always provides longer runtimes than alkalines. It actually only does so in high drain devices. A low output LED flashlight won't see any improvement in runtime.

nzo012

Newly Enlightened
For map and document reading we used finger lights in the military. There are several sizes and shapes and they come in various light colors and even UV. They they start at around $2.00 for the cheap ones and go up as they get better. Google search finger lights or look on Amazon. Here is a site to give you an Idea what I'm talking about http://www.fingerlight.com
They are standard issue for flight crews.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
If you've got to have AA then I believe your best bet will be either the Nitecore D10 or JetBeam Jet-I Pro IBS, both of which have a very low beam on them, which is why they are both my favorite AA lights.

It seems to be something that makers are really starting to wake up to, the fact that not only do we want high output from our lights, but also the ability to go very low as well, preserving night vision.

M.S

Enlightened
I don't think that D10 goes low enough. I just used it to light a room with ceiling bounce on the lowest level. Proton Pro and my old HDS go much lower. Too bad that the proton pro starts to ramp down from the highest level on white.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a LiteFlux LF2 or LF2X for very low-level chart reading. Works great. Don't know the run time at that level, but it would be a very long time. Single AAA.

c_c

Last edited: