GPS Flashlight

Aepoc

Enlightened
So I am looking into putting a GPS, or some other tracking device into some lights used in industry. The goal is theft prevention...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Does anyone know of any small, affordable, gps or other tracking device available?

Thank You for your ideas

HKJ

Flashaholic
So I am looking into putting a GPS, or some other tracking device into some lights used in industry. The goal is theft prevention...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Does anyone know of any small, affordable, gps or other tracking device available?

Thank You for your ideas

A gps does not help, your also need some sort of radio transmitter (i.e. cell phone).
And neither will work in a metal flashlight.

nismotor

Newly Enlightened
If you're trying to go commercial...

i dun think there will be enough people out there willing to paid for the additional cost of a tracking module, especially for a flashlight..:broke:

i mean, look at LoJack for motor vehicles. It hasn't exactly infiltrate the automobile market, and even a cheap car is far more expensive than any high end flashlight i know of. I'm aware that i'm not comparing apples to apples, but i'm just trying to make a general point.

if it's for personal use, it's far too much components to be integrated together... which far exceeds the cost of a flashlight you are trying to prevent people from stealing...

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's called an iPhone. Mine has a flashlight app, GPS, and can transmitt its location. :)

gallagho

Enlightened
The technology is getting smaller and cheaper.
hand.jpg

Something like the Snooper GPS Tracker £149.99 from snooperuk is nearly there, it has GPS and GSM transmission.

You could imagine embedding that in a large plastic expensive HID.
It would have to be expensive to be worth the £150 tag!

But if the body of the torch is metal your stuggling.

Check out this forum for more ideas

Owen

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only passive tags, but active tags are still not great.
Good enough that you'll find it if it hasn't left the parking lot, yet. Maybe put scanners by the gates, with cameras to record license tags?