mag upgrade

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
I was looking into upgrading my two AA mag. I read The terralux upgrade puts out over a 100 lumens, too bright for my needs. Does anyone know how many lums the Nite Ize upgrade gives?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the 3LED and the 1 watt NiteIze each in an AA Mag.

The 3LED has a smooth flood beam that is bright in total darkness. It is not focusable. The 1 watt drop in in much brighter, has a good hot spot but when you focus it the beam has artifacts. If you plan to use it for reading, close up tasks and navigation get the 3LED. If you need more throw and not much time up close, get the 1 watt. I was able to buy the 3LED at Walmart for $5- $6 dollars. Around the house I tend to use the 3LED more.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The 3-LED is in the 15ish lumen range. It is sometimes sold in the pack right along with the IQ switch for about $10

SirVette

Newly Enlightened

toolpig1

Enlightened
Marduke, as usual, is right at 15ish lumens. It is also very blue-ish. The 1 watt Nite-ize is much brighter and whiter, and with the IQ switch, can be dimmed to a medium and low setting. Having both upgrades, I personally favor the 1 watt, which by the way, I found at Target on clearance for $5.

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
hey Toolpig1...
The 1 watt that you got on clearance for $5...was it with the IQ switch or just the led unit?..I just got the led/IQ yesterday....I like the LED just fine, but I'm not too impressed with the IQ part......In my case anyway...I wouldn't have much use for the medium or low or flash settings...
You have to untwist the head (or just leave it untwisted), then push the IQ...rapid fire to hit whichever setting you want...if you accidently twist it down too far while adjusting you have to hit the IQ again....and in my case anyway....sometimes the IQ wouldn't click the light "off"....I had to twist the head down a couple times to turn it off....maybe my IQ is a little flaky.....
And if I'm wearing cold weather gloves....hard to push the IQ button....
I may have to call my local Target today to see if the led unit is on markdown......or both even if it was $5.......(was $13 at my local Lowes yesterday....)....I still have one more minimag that is using the 3led...which is fine for the close up stuff as mentioned above...

Last edited:

toolpig1

Enlightened
It's been awhile since I found those upgrades for $5 at Target. They were the 1 watt module with IQ switch combos. I like the led module, but don't care for the IQ switch. There have been numerous threads in which the IQ switch gets criticized for a number of reasons. Many feel the switch sucks too much power, in reality, maybe +/-10% reduction in output. I don't care for the red blinking light feature. Plus, as I have said many times, the light is only useful to me on high power since it isn't crazy bright in the first place. I reinstalled the original minimag tailcap, and simply turn the light on and off by twisting the head. BTW- before you spend another dime on Nite-ize product, Lowe's will sell the genuine minimag-led 2AA and 3AA for $11 each on "black Friday".

Last edited:

mtnwalker

Newly Enlightened
Gotcha...thanks for the advice/input..I'm doing what you are doing.....As for the Black Friday thing...even though that would be a good deal....I think I will be out in the woods that day....and staying out in the woods too...I already have more lights than I need....I just got this 1watt led so I would give the MM a new lease on life as a brighter shiner than the 3led older NiteIze unit was doing....even though my other MM (3led NiteIze unit) still has its place for reading at night.......(I camp all the time....my cabin with no power, where I do my hunting...)
see ya

oldblazer

Newly Enlightened
As previously stated, the 3-LED module isn't super bright, but it is really nice for navigating around the house at night so as to not wake my wife. Along with the 3-LED module I also use a NiteIze simple clicky (not the IQ). I also find it handy to keep clipped to an inside jacket pocket or briefcase as a backup to my backup light or as a loaner.

Latest posts