FINAL RESULTS IN!!! How does your personality type affect your EDC?

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
<edit>
I have played with the data a bit and generated some results and an explanation, viewable at this link:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dggj2t6s_79fr6c99ff

Enjoy!

</edit>

Here's a little something I put together for fun using Google Forms - the idea is to see if there is a correlation between personality traits and EDC. I originally posted it on EDC Forums, but thought I'd mention it here as well:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pQjQjn-9eH6di6H2n2nbEVw

It's a brief 25 question survey (multiple choice). The first ten questions are lifted verbatim from "Snoop: What Your Stuff Says About You" by Sam Gosling, Ph.D, and are intended to get a basic picture of your personality. The remaining 15 questions are about what you carry on your person at all times. The whole thing should take five minutes or less, and you can remain completely anonymous. You will be asked to choose a nickname, but that can be anything you want, and it is just so you can find your results on the spreadsheet.

The results spreadsheet is viewable here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pQjQjn-9eH6di6H2n2nbEVw&gid=1

It includes the 30 or so scores collected so far, and the averages for men and women. Have fun!

Last edited:

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
Re: How does your personality type affect your EDC?

At first, I was like, "who the hell carries stamps in their wallet but then I was like, "Wait, I still have some left from when I went to the post office a couple of weeks ago and only had one pocket to put my wallet in so I put the stamp inmywalletanditisstillthere!". Did you have any other reason in mind that someone would want to keep stamps in their wallet?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two things:

No "score" at the end.

I was reminded that I don't carry a gun. :(

:goodjob:, jnj.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened

The results spreadsheet has two pages. You can view it either by copying and pasting the URL from the confirmation page into your browser window (unfortunately Google Forms does not yet allow hyperlinks on the confirmation page) or you can just click here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...2n2nbEVw&gid=1

The first page shows your raw numbers, while the 2nd page shows your personality trait scores. Once the spreadsheet is full, I'll average the scores.

I haven't figured out a good way to grade people on the items they carry. I'm thinking about adding up the total number of items carried and correlating that with the personality trait scores for each person. If you have any suggestions I'm open to them.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMO you need to add in options such as "illegal in my country" for the guns/knives.

And as for self defence tools, I carry the knowledge on how to use my fists to annihilate another person and leave them on the floor asphyxiating in under 5 seconds.... does that count? Knowing how to do that is more effective than carrying a knife or gun that you're not sure how to use properly, IMHO.

Also showed me how under-prepared I am... need a BOB.

cslinger

Enlightened

In my experience people who daily carry either firearms, lights, knives, tools etc. all tend to be very self sufficient/responsible for their own actions. They tend to be the ones who actually have basic tools in their cars, jumper cables etc. They tend to change their own tires and are generally willing to at least try fixing or building something on their own.

I have also found we are a dying breed as the average person seems very complacent and assumes society/the government will take care of them.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

clinger said it perfectly. No quiz needed.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with BIGIRON, cslinger is right.

Although I like Jarl have the necessary practiced physical skills to crush a windpipe. But ironically it is against my religous practice. You see I'm a "devote coward!"

cslinger

Enlightened

Although I like Jarl have the necessary practiced physical skills to crush a windpipe. But ironically it is against my religous practice. You see I'm a "devote coward!"

Nothing wrong with that. I am heavily armed and still fall under the run away like a little girl philosophy unless there is absolutely no other choice. I am not hurting anybody over stuff or getting hurt over it.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened

Just a heads-up: I'm going to close the survey this weekend and compute some averages. I'll then publish a new spreadsheet with the results.