Looking for modder to upgrade driver in a SSC P7 modded HDS EDC Basic 42

omoanya

Newly Enlightened
Hi - I'm looking for someone to put a new driver in a
a SSC P7 modded HDS EDC Basic 42. The emitter mod was done by darkzero and now im looking for a driver that will really drive the p7 ...
thanks for any replies ...
chris

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
PM sent but I can't do it till next month. As per my PM, send me an email if you don't find someone else in the meantime.

I'm going out of town today & will also not be available Nov 7 - 12 so after that I will be available.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The driver is the best part of the HDS light. IMO it'd actually be cheaper and easier to grab a cheap 1x123 Light and driver off Kai or DX or get look at getting a tri-flupic to do it.

You're better off putting a P4 back in the HDS. The P7 is a bit overrated. It's not really suited for 1x123 lights. It's suited for big lights that will allow you to pump a lot more power than a single 123 cell can deliver. The most a 123cell can pump out is about 2.2amps and that's right at the limit meaning you'd get terrible runtime not to mention in a 123 light there's not enough heatsinking.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
The DX & KD drivers won't work with in a HDS unless the switch is changed & neither would the TriFlupic. The stock driver switches on by the processor using a momentary switch just like the Arc4.

The HDS can made into a bright P7 light & by using AW's new IMR16340s. I've been planning on doing one as soon ad I find a suitable HDS host.

bxstylez

Enlightened
AW's new IMR16340's have the capabilities to deliver 10A at a constant rate!

the full, raw power of a P7 in a small, EDC light, is now possible; at the expense of runtime (rated ~500maH)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DX & KD drivers won't work with in a HDS unless the switch is changed & neither would the TriFlupic. The stock driver switches on by the processor using a momentary switch just like the Arc4.

The HDS can made into a bright P7 light & by using AW's new IMR16340s. I've been planning on doing one as soon ad I find a suitable HDS host.

I know how the module works I meant put a tri-flupic and other types of drivers in to another single CR123 body. Instead of destroying an HDS to do it.

The IMR16340 is a very impressive cell but running flat out the issue of short runtime is still present and then there's the heat.

Hmm your plan does have me wondering. Will it have all the programmability and equal or better efficiency with the same wide voltage input range?

omoanya

Newly Enlightened
I am still sitting with this light wondering what to do with it, just brought it out of storage today and i still haven't figured out the modes. The only way i can get it to fire up is by by loosening the back once and it goes low then switches to what i think is high. A second loosening and tightening and it goes from low to high in 15 or so increments. I've been away for a minute and sadly see that Will is retired. Does anyone want to take a stab at modding the driver or doing something interesting with this light ? I'm game for almost anything. Btw, anyone know if the stock driver handle anything like a AW IMR16340 ?
Chris

kevinm

Enlightened
Chris, I put an XM-L in mine, and it's more than 300 lumens with the stock driver.

Kevin

kevinm

Enlightened
DarkZero is the man, but I could probably do it. If you have one of Datiled's 8mm XML boards, you could do it your self. Actually, Datiled might be the guy to ask...

bansuri

Enlightened
This mod would turn it into a monster. I'm not modding other people's lights anymore, but any of the modders mentioned above could handle it easily.