Pilots Light

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
My brother in law has a small plane and i wanted to get him a small flashlight with a good flood beam and not a ton of output so he can still see after he gets done looking at a map or something.

I Was looking for something in the $20.00 range
If any of you have any good ideas please let me know.

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
An Option of a Red beam would be cool, are there any out there that have a red beam and a regular white beam

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
Ok i admit, that is basically what Im looking for, But like i said originally. "Something in the range of $20.00" Not $70.00

So......... Where do i find a good knock off???

Marduke

Flashaholic
Ok i admit, that is basically what Im looking for, But like i said originally. "Something in the range of $20.00" Not $70.00

So......... Where do i find a good knock off???

Not $70, it is $47.50 shipped. The Covert Freedom is $12.95 shipped if you want cheap. Buy both colors and you're still only at $25.90.

There is no cheap knockoff of the Proton Pro.

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
Damit that's not what i wanted to hear. LOL well I guess this is it them,
Thanks guys

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Photon's will do it, but when you're driving the plane you want something that is easy to find and use. And a back up for that.

I'd suggest a red Peak, ARC aaa or MM red conversion as primary and the Photon as back up.

I stopped flying before I really got into flashlights. I used an early Teklite, white, and always had red cockpit/instrument lighting. Today I would opt for a red/white headlight as primary and the above as backups.

The A2, wht/red, would be my preferred single light.

Night flying, particularly solo, is not a place to experiment or settle for less than optimum.

AKCamper

Newly Enlightened
Is there a website that i can find these at? Google and I are not playing nice today

lightinsky

Enlightened
Go to Lowes and pick up a coast led that has the combo or red and white leds for under $30 bucks.

nitebrite

Enlightened
the a2. it's not $20 though.

for $20 i'd go with the twintask 1x123 or 2x123(for $30 or so). it isn't red but the led output will read maps and instruments without blinding you because it is pretty low output. plus you have the xenon to check the landing gear etc. it is like the poor mans a2 but not red. do they make a red one i don't know about maybe?

please don't quote me on the prices though i bought all mine(5 of them) a long time ago.

edit: after i just opened my mouth/keyboard i realised that the led's on the twintask are indeed probably too bright for cockpit usage. i gues it would depend on the pilot.

nitebrite

Last edited:

Oznog

Enlightened
Photon microlights (or quality clones) are da bomb.

Now something to know. On a set of quality name-brand 2016 batteries, the whites yield like 15 min of really useful bright light, then progressively less and less satisfactory. Maybe 2 hrs of light are possible but real dim by the end. The bulk carded off-brand Chinese 2016 batts are crap from the start.

BUT, the reds use a lower voltage and fit a single 2032 batt instead of 2x 2016 batts. The 2032 batt has more than twice the mah capacity and a better internal resistance than the 2016 set too. Basically it outperforms for endurance big time. I wonder why they haven't made a white light that runs on 2032's in a slightly thicker case.

nitebrite

Enlightened
you still should have a high beam in a plane. for the price of the photon knockoffs you could get him a high beam also. i think i have seen the chinese ones for $5 or so. for the rest of the $20 you could get him a coast or something at homedepot,lowes,sears,walmart etc. it is not as tidy and accessible as a single light that has both but $20 doesn't buy a lot.

that light in my other thread puts out a lot of light, runs on lithiums, and runs long. i just mentioned i am worried about heat though. if it is ok then for way less than $20 you guys are all set :)

nitebrite