ROP HOLA vs P7 at 2.8 amps

FredM

Enlightened
Would a P7 compare in output to a ROP?

Would you need 2 P7's to equal or exceed it?

ROP Hi is ~30 watts and each P7 is about 7 or so so I am curious how it works out in the real world with all of these crazy lumen figures given.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did some comparisons last night.
Using the best reflector I found for P7 in the WF sold for P7 by KD and DX.
Comparing to the 5761.
use search and you will find several years of history of the 5761. Mine are on lilthium D cells and e-moli just under flash point so they are pushing between 854 and 900 torch lumens. (that is 65% of bulb lumens)
P7 for the moment is in two luminosity bins, C and D and two Vf bins, I and J.
That means the D bin puts our more light if you give it the voltage it is looking for, J bin at 3.75 volts. Otherwise you put a D bin with Vf J bin on 3.6 volts you probably got less light than the C bin, Vf I bin which is 3.5 Volts.
If you are running a driver you need not worry much about the Vf bins. But the drivers I have seen sold comericially at best on high just push around 2.8 amps which is what the factory measurements are at. Mine are in the 3.0-3.2 range and there fore are brighter than what is published at the 2.8 setting.
My 1.5 D light
link:
1.5 D P7, Modes, Charging Jack, Electronic GID & more
Is brighter in the center spot than the 5761s but not quite so in the spill beam and the 5761s throw 60-80 feet farther a brighter light.
Links:
Another M*gCharger 5761, but why
and the 2C size on e-moli is here
Using an NTC ? post #25
That being said you asked about the ROP which is an entry level but good hot wire.
The order of output on a family of similiar hot wire bulbs is
ROP
WA 1185 and
The actual torch lumen output is around
678 t-lumen
700-800 t-lumen
and for my 5761 854+ T-lumen
You can see the amount of light put out by the P7 is more. But the beam pattern definatley is more of a flood.
The ROP is wide, almost floody but has very good throw to it. The 1185 has a small hot white center and one can get the impression it has the most light until you realize it is all concentrated and the other bulbs light up more area.
A single P7 out preforms the ROP if you use the right combination of luminosity, Vf and batteries plus do not try to make a OEM reflector with sputter work like the pro WF reflector, it just doesn't.
Look what he says:
*Now Built* P7 has converted me from incan only to LED - now I need help building one

Hope that helps, you left a lot of room for variables, I tried to fill them. Good luck!

Last edited:

FredM

Enlightened
Off topic but:

Where did you get your numbers for ROP vs 5761?

The 5761 only uses 1 more amp and you have it almost with 50% more torch lumens

LuxLuthor has them at 1044 and 1237 lumens @ 7.2V an increase of 18%.

On topic:

I didn;t see any torch lumens for the P7? This what i guess I was asking.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off topic but:

Where did you get your numbers for ROP vs 5761?

The 5761 only uses 1 more amp and you have it almost with 50% more torch lumens

LuxLuthor has them at 1044 and 1237 lumens @ 7.2V an increase of 18%.

On topic:

I didn;t see any torch lumens for the P7? This what i guess I was asking.
Yep, did error, since I cannot get the graphs on my work machine, using hot rater and now in this case using Lux's figures at 1044 lumens at 7.2 volts the T-lumen is 65% 678 is more appropriate and I corrected the error. Likely had it confuse with the 1160.

There are years worth of threads, calculators, correspondence etc. on this hidden thoughout CPF. But within a few torch lumens those are the the relative numbers. When you have all those models and variations together you can see that difference. Thank goodness I have been able to whittle the collection down to just a few nowdays.
for the P7 go to the binning and labeling spec of the manufacturer. But all those numbers mean not much, it is when you hold them up against each other or a standard.
Another interesting effect is color. The hot wires, especially the 5761 even overdriven is slightly yellow, the 1185 is brilliant white and the LEDs slightly blue and how you mind interprets it is significant in the way it looks.