Looking for more info on Husky 3aaa Cree

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
I have done a search here and can't find a thread dedicated to this Husky Cree 3aaa light with a silver head and a belt clip. It looks pretty cool something like a claimed 165lm output. I dont expect much runtime out of 3aa's. I dont know why they did that.

I am constantly disappointed with B & M lights and end up returning them. I'm tired of doing this so if any one has some real experience with this light or can refer me to a useful thread I would appreciate it and please post here.

Thank you.

:candle:

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

That link is for the 2 D cell Husky, not the one the OP is asking about. I actually started it!;). I was looking at that light also with some interest. It looks well made and bright, but I do not like the battery holders and AAA batteries do not hold up to well with high output lights like these. AAA NiMH's or AAA lithiums may work well for this light, and for $20.00 who knows, I may just pick one up!

Mike

arioch

Enlightened
CeilingDweller:

I have one of the Husky 3aaa 3W Cree Lights. It is a very bright light!! I bought one after buying and trying out the 2D 4W model, which was also impressive for a cheaper B&M available light.

It is listed at "up to" 145 lumens; comparison with some of my other lights, including Q5 rated lights (rated @ 220 lumens) would seem to indicate that the rating on the Husky is accurate.

It is the brightest by far of the recent spate of B&M sold lights, including the Coleman MAX 3aaa Cree (@ 115 lumens), Dorcy 3aaa K2 (@ 120 lumens), and Coast 7736TS 3aaa (new model @ 149 lumens).

Other features include:

1.) smooth reflector- very good throw.
2.) forward clicky.
3.) extremely white beam with a briiiiight hotspot.

Some drawbacks include:

1.) led off center in reflector and inability to remove the head to fix it- a QC problem this light shares with its 2D big brother. Mine was just slightly off center (I was in too much of a hurry to check it before I bought it, which I did while buying my 2D model ... :(
2.) body of light is rather thick, 3 1/2 cm or 1 1/4 in. This is a bit too big for EDC pocket carry, but might fit in a jacket pocket.
3.) very ringy (smooth reflector and Cree) around the hotspot.

To sum up, if you want a very bright light and do not mind the rings of Saturn around it, then this light is very much worth the $22 (here on Maui) it costs.

Last edited:

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
Arioch:

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Sounds like it's well worth taking a chance on for sure.

How long would you guesstimate it runs until it reaches 50%? :wave:

arioch

Enlightened
CeilingDweller:

I am not sure about battery life ... I bought mine as a beater light. I have only been using it for a few minutes a night at work. My primary work light is a Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 and a Maglite 3D with Malkoff drop in. If I start using it more, I will be buying aaa rechargeables.

BTW, I just did a side by side comparison between the Husky 3aaa and my Task Force 2C Cree, and the output is very close. Similar sized and intensity hotspots, with the TF having a slight bluish tint and the Husky having a slight yellow tint. The spill is better from the Husky.

GeorgePaul:

While you are correct that there are excellent lights out there at affordable prices, most of those are available primarily at online sites (one of them rhymes with V necks ...). While it is refreshing that B&M stores are now carrying Cree and similar higher performance lights, I, like CeilingDweller, have also been disappointed at many of those that I have purchased. Some examples of B&M store lights that I have recently purchased that I have been dissatisfied with include: Coleman Maxx (2aa Cree @ 115 lm, 2aa Cree @ 75 lm, 3aaa with dedicated Cree @ 115 lm, 3aaa with Cree @ 115 lm plus red and blue Nichias), Duracell Daylight 3aaa @ 80 lm, Dorcy 3aaa K2 @ 120 lm, Energizer Hard Case Cree @ 80 lm, and Coast LED Lenser 7736TS @ 149 lm. All of these lights cost over $30. On the other hand, the Husky 3aaa was unexpectedly good for a light that cost a little over $20. Although the light is not the prettiest or most tactical looking light ever, it doesn't look much uglier than the TF 2C Cree, and functionally, it puts out a lot of light in a 3aaa package. I do think that anyone looking for a very bright light for a pretty good price in a B&M can do much worse than the Husky 3aaa. :)

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
While you are correct that there are excellent lights out there at affordable prices, most of those are available primarily at online sites (one of them rhymes with V necks ...).
Around here (Southern California), SureFire, Streamlight, Inova and Pelican are readily available in B&M stores.

arioch

Enlightened
You are correct that different locations do have B&M stores that carry a variety of lights. On Maui where I live, there is a distributor for Inova, Coast, and Photon lights (Longs Drugs). Walmart also carries the Duracell Daylight and Coleman lights. Lowes carries the Surefire 6P LED and G2 LED.

However, I stand by my position that the Husky 3aa Cree is a very good value for a pretty good light. Although Surefire, Streamlight, Pelican, and Inova all have excellent lights available and I own lights from all 4 makers, not one of them has a light at the $20 price range with the Cree and the (looks legit and not manufacturer BS) 149 lm output.

There was a lot of hoopla over the introduction of the Task Force 2C Cree. It was one of the first (after the Rayovac 3C Cree) that was made for widespread distribution through B&M stores. I bought one of the TF Crees at that time to complement the TF Lux that I had. The Husky light has comparable output to the TF Cree, is in a smaller package, costs $8 less, and is available in a regular B&M (Home Depot, not a specialty gun shop/flashlight store).

The OP was asking if the specified light was worth the money or if he would be disappointed. I believe that it is well worth it, and given the cost and output, should not disappoint. :)

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked one of these up and am impressed with its brightness, and the beam on mine is clean with faint rings. I got it because of the large body, which gave me an idea. I am able to put a 18650 in the light! It is a rather tight fit, and I was afraid to tighten the head all the way, but here is my question: Am I in any danger of making the light, or worse, the 18650 go :poof:??? I know 3 AAA's are 4.5v, one fully charged 18650 is about 4.1, so voltage should not be a prob. Anybody have an opinion on this? Iam guessing that the runtime would be a lot better on the LiON than the AAA's. I also picked up some energizer lithium AAA's for it, but am going to hold off using those until I know I am going to keep this thing!

Mike

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
4.jpg

i went ahead and purchased one of these for a jacket pocket loaner during the winter (the novatac is just confusing everyone...). we'll see how it holds up.

BillP

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, first post. I just bought one of these lights last night, and I'm way impressed. I tried to get one with a nicely centered emitter, and got the best of about 9 in the store. The beam is very focused, as others have reported, but hardly ringy at all. My Husky 2D light on the other hand, has a uncentered emitter, and is ringy as hell. Not an apples to apples comparison, but perhaps useful. If anyone wants one of these lights, there are plenty at my local HD, I'd be happy to forward one to anyone who's having trouble finding them. Great forum!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I just picked one of these up and am impressed with its brightness, and the beam on mine is clean with faint rings. I got it because of the large body, which gave me an idea. I am able to put a 18650 in the light! It is a rather tight fit, and I was afraid to tighten the head all the way, but here is my question: Am I in any danger of making the light, or worse, the 18650 go :poof:??? I know 3 AAA's are 4.5v, one fully charged 18650 is about 4.1, so voltage should not be a prob. Anybody have an opinion on this? Iam guessing that the runtime would be a lot better on the LiON than the AAA's. I also picked up some energizer lithium AAA's for it, but am going to hold off using those until I know I am going to keep this thing!

Mike
Direct drive 18650!!! Much better than DD 3AAA... IMHO.

Looks like a solid hunk of aluminum to dissipate the heat too.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Hi everyone, first post. I just bought one of these lights last night, and I'm way impressed. I tried to get one with a nicely centered emitter, and got the best of about 9 in the store. The beam is very focused, as others have reported, but hardly ringy at all. My Husky 2D light on the other hand, has a uncentered emitter, and is ringy as hell. Not an apples to apples comparison, but perhaps useful. If anyone wants one of these lights, there are plenty at my local HD, I'd be happy to forward one to anyone who's having trouble finding them. Great forum!

Welcome to CPF, BillP.

I have the Husky 3AAA, and love everything about it. It has an amazingly bright hotspot and very white beam. I feel its build quality is extremely good as it is the most rugged 3AAA light I have ever owned, and the deluxe rubber forward tail clicky is my favorite thing about this light. I know what you mean about the beam not being ringy, as I have the Husky 2D also and the Husky 3AAA's beam is smooth and almost perfect by comparison.

I hope you enjoy your new light!:thumbsup:

:welcome:

Tanglefoot

Newly Enlightened
They had this light on clearance for $11 today at Home Depot in Boise.

May have to run back and get one!

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I have purchased 6 of the lights at $6.60 each locally. Be sure to look for off centered emitters before buying. They have the same problem in this respect as the 2 D's. The light is not regulated, but has a very very long run time with dimishing output.