Jet Beam Distributors

MicroE

Enlightened
Who sells Jetbeam flashlights in the US?
Are there any B&M shops?
I saw a Jetbeam review by selfbuilt that said distributors (plural).

StarHalo

Flashaholic
BugOutGear is the official US distributor, and the only retailer in the US, online or otherwise, that I'm aware of that sells JetBeam products. They offer a discount to CPF members.

You can also order from the official French distributor, Neolumen (http://www.neolumen.eu/USpage0.htm), they offer fast and free international shipping.

MicroE

Enlightened
Thanks. That French website was very good for comparing different models.
But, since I'm in the US, I guess I'll place my order with BugOutGear.

virtualbeing

Newly Enlightened
I think i am going to add 1 or 2 to my collection. definately a 1AA model. But conisdering the performance is about equal is there any big difference in the 3 models- a I,II, III? other than battery....and what diff does the battery make? a single AA is pretty convenient. I am taking a guess i need to learn about battery performance- huh? :thinking:

Kabible

Enlightened
My EDC is the Jet I IBS. It's hot spot is small/medium size with a very wide & bright sidespill. It's much brighter with a 14500 Li-Ion 3.7v but can get hot on high speed if not cooled by my hand. High speed w/Li-Ion should be used with caution but then again, it's so bright that I don't need Hi most of the time. I think this light is the most versatile of any for its size. Its tint is neutral with a hint of warmth. I could not be happier with this light.

I also have the Jet II IBS (not the Pro). It has the focusing head and runs on CR123 3v and RCR123 (or 16340 Li-Ion 3.7v). Roughly the same output on either cell. Its sidespill is about 30% smaller and somewhat dimmer than that of the Jet I but its hotspot is much brighter and can be focused from very tight to about 1/2 the size of its sidespill diameter. Very useful for varied tasks and an effective thrower.

The Jet III comes in several versions and I have no 1st hand exprerience with them. Based on reviews, a Jet III, with the same or similar reflector as the Jet II/II Pro, has the same beam pattern & throw as the II's. Running on an 18650 Li-Ion 3.7v, they have the advantage of extended runtime.

Hope this helps.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The numbers refer to the battery types:
I - AA (or 14500 Li-Ion)
II - 123 or (RCR123 Li-Ion)
III - 18650 Li-Ion

The exception to the rule is the Military, which aside from being an 18650 light, also accepts 123 and RCR123 cells.

There are also several sub-designations within the 18650 lights, which are as follows:
ST - General use beam
Pro - Thrower beam
Military - Thrower beam (can accept R/CR123s, only two modes)
Ultra - Super thrower beam

As far as the battery types go:

AA - Available everywhere, though the only decent non-rechargeable AA for LED flashlight use is the Energizer Lithium, which is expensive. Rechargeable types only put out 1.2 volts.

123 - Available in some places, always way overpriced at brick & mortar stores. Provides twice as much power as an AA in a much shorter but wider package. Cheaper 123 cells can be dangerous.

RCR123 - The lithium-ion rechargeable version of the 123, available only online, packs a huge >4.2 volts when fully charged. "Non-protected" versions can be dangerous. Requires a special, unique li-ion charger.

14500 - The lithium-ion rechargeable version of the AA, same as above.

18650 - A unique size li-ion battery, like an oversized AA. Same as above, but has remarkable battery life in low-drain applications (low output modes of LED lights), far beyond other smaller battery types.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Speaking of batteries,what's the difference from a 18650 cell and a 17670?

Take care

virtualbeing

Newly Enlightened
thanks kabible and and starhalo. good info. i am still at the point where any light seems basically the same as the others. so my it's tough for me to discern this and that.

in my head i am comparing the jet beams to what i have on order (should arrive monday). But it sounds like the jet bams use 1/2 the battery as many lights and pop out a whole lot more kabang! is it just magic?:devil: or is there a reason they can are so efficient?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
thanks kabible and and starhalo. good info. i am still at the point where any light seems basically the same as the others. so my it's tough for me to discern this and that.

The two big differences between JetBeams and other lights are interface and build quality. The IBS interface has the same infinite variable control brightness ramp as a few other very recent lights, except it features "memories" like on a car radio for remembering specific places/outputs that you preselect. This way you can instantly switch between modes you've already set. And build-quality-wise, JetBeam is the only major manufacturer that combines Mil-Spec HA III anodizing with a crystal sapphire lens, squared threads, and silicone o-rings into every model.

in my head i am comparing the jet beams to what i have on order (should arrive monday). But it sounds like the jet bams use 1/2 the battery as many lights and pop out a whole lot more kabang! is it just magic?:devil: or is there a reason they can are so efficient?

The key here again is the IBS interface - on its highest output levels, the Jet simply pushes the battery harder than most any other flashlight. The semi-throw-oriented reflectors found on most models also help to up lux numbers in testing, and make the light appear brighter yet to the eye.

virtualbeing

Newly Enlightened
rookie question- i see the jet beams (and others) offer a choice of smooth or "orange peel" reflectors. what does the difference in smooth or texture do?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
rookie question- i see the jet beams (and others) offer a choice of smooth or "orange peel" reflectors. what does the difference in smooth or texture do?

Smooth is better for maximum throw, it doesn't hide any of the rings or artifacts of the beam, just throws the light as-is.

Orange peel is better for a more contiguous beam profile, it smooths out the rings and artifacts and projects a more ordered beam.

Generally speaking, if you want your light to throw as far as possible and don't care how the beam looks, go with the smooth reflector. The orange peel is better for general/everyday use, where a distorted beam can be annoying.