Fenix E01 vs E1 vs L0P

Bonky

Banned
Wanted to upgrade from an E01 to another AAA but somewhat brighter light. less runtime ok.

Here's my situ:

It will be used for walking a dog with my girlfriend at night and various sundry other tasks around the house when it's dark.

My typical use is turning it on for a few seconds to a couple of minutes when we reach a part of our walk that is unlit, then turning it off for a few minutes. Repeat.

I'd like to store it in the car and would like to use alkalines. Temperature is mild year 'round.

I don't really like PWM but will tolerate it if I can't notice it.

I'd like the softest spot possible.

I don't want to deal with paging through lots of modes. I want it to come on when I turn the bezel at the correct brightness, turn off when I turn it off, then turn back on when I've turned it back again a minute or two later. Medium on the L0D should be fine for 95% of my tasks.

Questions:

Is the E1 brighter and whiter enough to make it worth the purchase over an E01?

Is the L0D's PWM annoying while walking with it?

Is there another light that will give me ~15-20 lumens with no PWM and a white beam in a one-mode, single-AAA configuration with a runtime of 3+ hours?

Thanks! :grin2:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think the E1 is worth it, its old tech. I honestly have never noticed the PWM on my LOD. I think another good choice for your might be the streamlight micro. It gets a lot of good praise here and I believe it is the brightness you are looking for. Oh dang, its only got 1.5 hours of battery life, dont know if thats enough for you.
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_MicroStream_LED_Flashlight.php
If thats the case, definitely consider the LOD, its a great little light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'd like to store it in the car and would like to use alkalines. Temperature is mild year 'round.

I don't really like PWM but will tolerate it if I can't notice it.
Is the L0D's PWM annoying while walking with it?
The L0D sounds like the "upgrade" you're after. However, let me comment on the parts that I quoted:

- bad idea to leave any light in storage with alkaline batts installed. Either get lithiums or store the battery separately to prevent leakage ruining your light (I just lost a Turboflare 360 to battery gunk).

Perceiving PMW varies among individuals, and depending on the frequency being used. I pick up the L0D's PMW very easily, but others in my family don't. (Maybe I know what to look for?) :shrug:

Bonky

Banned
I saw on another thread the new L0Ds are coming out with "faster PWM"... anybody know about this?

I notice the 300hz PWM on my Ultrafire C3 (though not much) so I have a feeling I'd really notice the 100hz on the L0D.

If in fact they are coming out with a faster PWM on the L0D then I would pull the trigger on that.

thezman

Enlightened
E1 with a Seoul SSC P4 emitter upgrade and an Energizer AAA lithium battery.... Single stage, no PWM, whiter tint, acceptable runtimes and very usable amount of light ....problem solved.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with thezman, E1 Seoul, if you can make one yourself, or find one already made. You would get 3.3 hours regulated on an alkaline, 2.4 on a rechargeable NiMH, or 5.3 hours on an Energizer Lithium AAA. The reflector gives a nice wide smooth spot, about 20 lumens.

Seriously consider using eneloop rechargeables. They stay very fresh waiting to be used. If you need the extra runtime, keep a spare battery.

I do not recommend leaving alkaline batteries in a car under any circumstances.

Last edited:

Bonky

Banned
sweet, is there a place to buy these premade? There's little chance of me being able to complete a project like that.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet for a E1-SSC is to place a "wanted to buy" request on the marketplace>lights>buy forum.

If you want mine, you'll probably need to wait until I'm in my grave. ;)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Your best bet for a E1-SSC is to place a "wanted to buy" request on the marketplace>lights>buy forum.

If you want mine, you'll probably need to wait until I'm in my grave. ;)
You need to do what EngrPaul says and post a WTB ad in the Marketplace and unless I'm mistaken either the E1 or the L0P would give you a one level light. You could also PM me about a one level AAA light I have that I could part with.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont know if this thread is still relevant but i just got me a Fenix LD01 to replace my E01 on my keychain

my E01 is going to go into my fishing tackle box, waterproof, 20 lumens, just nice for digging around in the box, tying fishing rigs, maybe some slight navigation if fishing in areas where i am not supposed to, a bright light there is an arrest just waiting to happen, haha.

I like the LD01 cos it can run on 10440s without losing modes and since they come in pairs, i will always have a spare cell with me in my DIY cell carrier / diffuser (read: modded chapstick, can be seen here)

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LD01 is one of the finest lights of its kind, IMHO, and is my light of choice. I guarantee you that you will not be disappointed in this light.

Here is a post that has a ridiculous amount of madness/exuberance over this light:

Here.

I like the LD01 soooo much more than the E01 (and I do like the E01 in some ways!!), it's no contest...
:thumbsup:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't have an E01 but I have an LD01 and the two lights are in separate classes by both performance and price. I would say comparing them doesn't work unless you forget the cost.