EagleTac P10A Mini Review

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
Introduction:
The P10A is EagleTac's single AA battery-operated Cree Q5 XR-E LED flashlight. With a simple twist of the head, the user has the option of selecting between Low mode and High mode. The P10A measures 108mm x 26mm, which makes it the third longest flashlight in my collection, with the Wolf Eyes Sniper 6AX (two CR123A batteries) as the second longest and the Mini Mag-lite LED (two AA batteries) as the longest. So for it being operated by only a single AA battery, I think the length is quite appropriate.

Operations:
High mode (130 lumens, as advertised) is achieved by twisting the head towards HI, while Low mode (37 lumens, as advertised) is achieved with a slight (and I do mean slight) twist towards the LO. As a personal preference, I always have my P10A set on High mode, such that if a bright blast of light is needed immediately, all I have to do is pull out the light and press on the tail-cap forward clicky. If Low mode is needed, all I have to do is twist the head slightly and Low mode is achieved. I set my P10A like this since I believe that Low mode is used mainly in non-emergency situations, such that the few seconds to twist the head from High to Low is not the difference between life or death. Imagine always having your flashlight set on Low mode, only to find that when you need that blast of light immediately, you don't have it. Or worse is having to sequentially go through a series of modes to get to the High mode. That is precious seconds ticking away. Of course, many flashlights in the market have the default mode set at High. But what if you need a Low mode to preserve your night vision? Having to turn on your flashlight and click through a number of times from High mode to Low mode doesn't make much sense, because now your night vision has been compromised. EagleTac's way of allowing users to pre-select what mode they need BEFORE turning on the flashlight itself is a major plus in my books. I believe that with this "technology" in the market, many other flashlight manufacturers will surely follow in this path.

-Ability to pre-select High or Low mode with a twist of the head
-Runs on common AA battery
-Stainless steel bezel gives it an aesthetic look
-Q5 LED encased in OP reflector
-Forward clicky with ability for candle-mode
-Solid construction with clean threads

Dislikes:
-Flimsy clip
-Clip rattles and hits against the flashlight itself; can be fixed by taking a circular-type rubber piece and sliding it up to where the clip hits against the flashlight
-Lanyard hole is extremely close to the edge. I don't use a lanyard, so this isn't a huge issue for me.

What I would have liked:
-Better clip, perhaps implementing a wire clip or one that allows for low-profile carry and doesn't rattle and hit against the flashlight
-"Infinite" mode similar to lamp dimmers, OR at least a HI, MED, LOW mode (for P10A maybe 130 lumens, 37 lumens, 8 lumens)
-Scalloped stainless steel bezel option
-Strobe mode engaged strictly by means of pressing AND holding onto clicky all the way down for 2 seconds. Once released, strobe mode will continue. Press and release clicky again, the flashlight turns off completely

Conclusion:
Overall, this is my favorite flashlight. Some dislikes here and there, but in general a very good flashlight. I do not have access to meters to determine lux, lumens, etc…, but I can vouch that this is one bright and very-well built flashlight. I give it a 9 out of 10. Minus .5 for flimsy clip and .5 for only two modes

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A very nice review. I'm a bit surprised though that you mentioned the clip is flimsy. The clip on my P10A is nothing at all like that. It doesn't even rattle.

I suppose I got lucky. :shrug:

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
A very nice review. I'm a bit surprised though that you mentioned the clip is flimsy. The clip on my P10A is nothing at all like that. It doesn't even rattle.

I suppose I got lucky. :shrug:

Yeah, partially my fault because i wanted to see how it would feel in the my pocket if i did bezel up, which i didnt like and ending up switching it back to bezel down. But despite that, i would have though the clip would be more versatile than that. If you didnt try removing the clip, don't unless you know for sure you want it removed completely or bezel-up carry.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks SuperLightMan for the review and pictures!

The EagleTac P10A seems to be a great light. Tactical momentary switch is a real plus. I would likely replace my Fenix L1D if I got one.

Regards, Patric

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review :)

yet another good review for eagletac. I need to see a comparison review between their P10C and the Dereelight C2H :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review :)

yet another good review for eagletac. I need to see a comparison review between their P10C and the Dereelight C2H :)

I'd have to get out the lux meter, but the P10C should have more throw due to that big reflector, but the P10C is a much larger light so they really aren't in the same class, other than both taking 1xCR123.

4sevens sent all the Eagletacs to PF11 for us to check out. They are nice lights and they really do have a lot of output. Their main weakness does seem to be the clips, but their not useless, but they could be better.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
4sevens sent all the Eagletacs to PF11 for us to check out. They are nice lights and they really do have a lot of output. Their main weakness does seem to be the clips, but their not useless, but they could be better.

I never bothered to get any of the 2xCR123 or 18650 Eagletac models since another CPFer told me that his P10C2 leans away from his pocket when he clips it to his pants. With their larger heads, I'm thinking the situation is just as bad on the T10C2 and T10L models.

But the clips on the single-cell Eagletacs are quite good. A blatant copy of Surefire's E1B clip, but thicker. Unlike the E1B, I can clip my P10A bezel-up, and it doesn't lean off to the side. But bezel-down is better since too much of the light sticks out of the pocket, when carried bezel-up.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I'm not understanding the lack of bi-directional clip on the 2xCR123 model. It's the only disappointing thing about the light, besides the thin material at the lanyard holes.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to get out the lux meter, but the P10C should have more throw due to that big reflector, but the P10C is a much larger light so they really aren't in the same class, other than both taking 1xCR123.

From the comments I've seen on the lights, it seems that although they have different sizes and reflector sizes, their beam is fairly similar. Dereelight gets 4500 lux with a medium spot, vs 5000 medium spot for the eagletac. Since those were on different meters, they could be equal. And both boast build quality. That's enough for me to want a comparison :)

PS - persuade me otherwise at your own risk. It's my last reason not to buy both :grin2:

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
Here is what i did when i mentioned about sliding a rubber piece to the spot where the clip hits against the flashlight.
IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think everything you said is pretty much spot on. the only thing i could argue about is the low saving the night vision. the low is too bright and would ruin night vision. i think it should be labeled as general/turbo or normal/turbo or normal/high.

i too am not found of the clip. mine didn't rattle but is on the flimsy side. i expect a clip to be stiff like a knife clip.

anyway, about the multimode, i'm surprised that the itp c7 tactical doesn't get more press.
it seems it's a hybrid of the p10a and the d10. it's a fwd clickie with twist to activate the ramping.
http://www.light-reviews.com/itp_c7_tactical/

it has a higher output with slightly more runtime. it also has the variable output like the d10 although no super low. i don't see any runtimes on low though. price looks good too.

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
i think everything you said is pretty much spot on. the only thing i could argue about is the low saving the night vision. the low is too bright and would ruin night vision. i think it should be labeled as general/turbo or normal/turbo or normal/high.

Absolutely. The low is definitely too bright, but it's definitely less bright than the high mode. That's the very reason why i would have liked Eagletac to have devised an "infinite" mode switching similar to light-dimmers OR simply having a three mode- LO, MED, HI. Hopefully, after reading my review, EagleTac will consider these two options in their future line-up.

hatman

Enlightened
Any updated information on the clip?

Has it been improved -- or is it still flimsy on current models?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Any updated information on the clip?

Has it been improved -- or is it still flimsy on current models?

Same clip. It's not flimsy at all. It only loosens up if you constantly remove & reattach the clip from the light. If you leave it alone, it's fine. The mounting for the clip on the SF E1B is better, but the clip on the P10A is not going to just loosen up on its own or fall off. The clip on my P10A has given me 0 problems.