Newbie on surefire purchase

Crossthread

Newly Enlightened
I will be buying a surefire soon, Im a service tech for a bus company i think the C2L-HA model would serve me well, there have been many times i needed a clip on a light that would slide on the brim of my cap during a road call and it's size is not that bulky. I have done a search and haven't found answers to my questions. The C2 model comes with lexan not pyrex right any advantages? Would a regular p60 drop right into the C2L-HA head? I have looked on the comparison/spec sheet on the SF website and it does not say if you can drop a p60 incan as an optional lamp assembly? Dereelight has smooth and orange peel reflector and a SMO and OP option, whats the difference and what are the avantages? I noticed that the Dereelight drop-in has a lower 2.8~4.7 input voltage range compared to others with a 3.7~+ does this have its adavantages using rechargeables?

From what i read i think my ideal set up is

C2L-HA
Dereelight 1s cree drop-in
powered by a 1x17670 li-ion
Z58 Clicky

Thanks in advance

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be buying a surefire soon, Im a service tech for a bus company i think the C2L-HA model would serve me well, there have been many times i needed a clip on a light that would slide on the brim of my cap during a road call and it's size is not that bulky.
Hope your cap has a snug fit. The C2's not too bulky, but it's by no means small. I just tried it, and it works, but I wouldn't want to move my head too quickly - the clip on my C2 isn't the sturdiest.

I have done a search and haven't found answers to my questions. The C2 model comes with lexan not pyrex right any advantages?
The lexan lets a little less light through and is easier to scratch, but is less likely to crack on impact.

Would a regular p60 drop right into the C2L-HA head?
Absolutely.

Dereelight has smooth and orange peel reflector and a SMO and OP option, whats the difference and what are the avantages?
SMO = smooth, OP = orange peel

The smooth reflector will throw farther (better for distance). The orange peel will produce a floodier beam with less artifacts (better for close-up).

For what it's worth, the C2L already comes with a good, floody drop-in. If you're more concerned with close-up illumination, I'd give the stock drop-in a shot before ordering an OP Dereelight drop-in. Edit: nevermind, I forgot you wanted a rechargeable option.

I noticed that the Dereelight drop-in has a lower 2.8~4.7 input voltage range compared to others with a 3.7~+ does this have its adavantages using rechargeables?
Assuming the specs are correct, maybe the Dereelight remains in regulation a little longer, but the difference is probably negligible.

From what i read i think my ideal set up is

C2L-HA
Dereelight 1s cree drop-in
powered by a 1x17670 li-ion
Z58 Clicky
If you're OK with a runtime of a little over an hour, you should be good to go.

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Crossthread and welcome!!! :welcome::welcome::welcome:

If I were you I'd consider the a single cell surefire over the C2 - I love love love my C2s with Malkoff drop-ins (over dereelights) but for everyday carry and clipping to a hat, I find that they are overkill.

You should look at the Surefire E1B backup or the Surefire L1 - they are much MUCH more conducive to your hat, smaller (1 cell) and have 2 modes of output with the high mode being significantly more bright than a C2. Go for the E1B if you want a clicky or the L1 if you want a super simple user interface.

I honestly think the C2 is more suited as a "field light" and not something you'd want to carry in your pocket - pick one up for your emergency back as a bomb-proof backup light.

However, if clipping to your hat is a major concern for your and this will be the majority of your usage, go for a dedicated head lamp - a petzyl or princeton tec.

With that said, this forum is an amazing resource with an amazing amount of information - I would take a week to search for threads on the C2, E1B and L1 to learn as much as you can before jumping in.

Regardless, whichever Surefire way you go, it will NOT be your last - so hold on to your wallet and don't say I didnt warn you!

Have fun and good luck!

cruisemissile

Enlightened
I know Surefires are great, but for your purposes, maybe something angled like a Pentagonlight MOLLE or First-Light Tomahawk might be very convenient.
This would save you the trouble of getting a surefire and "tricking it out" to what you need.
Just a thought. best of luck..

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I Believe That The E1B Backup Would Better Suit Your Needs. It Has A Dual-Clip Design Which Allows The Light To Be Used On The Bill Of A Cap. It Is Very Innovative IMO.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Yep i also recommend the E1B,excellent output for a single cell and great for EDC. Pocket friendly too:naughty:

Take care

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're working on things close up you really don't want something that's going to throw, like a P60 drop in, an E1B, L1, etc (unless you have a diffuser on them).

I would look into a headlamp like the Zebralight H30. It can run off of rechargable R123's (I'd go with AW protected R123's), but when they reach their low voltage cut off the light will go out, so you will want to carry a spare or two, or some regular CR123 back ups.

Zebralight H30

There is a new H60 coming out, but the details haven't been released yet. It should have more run time, but it's larger too:

Zebralight H60

You can see my review of the H30 here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194427

1996alnl

Enlightened
I find the TIR optic in the Surefires pretty good for close up work because of the lower setting and it does produce some good side spill.
The Zebra is a good choice too.

Take care