Cold hands?Get an L4

1996alnl

Enlightened
Hello everyone,just got an L4 last week and i must say i'm very impressed with the usefullness of this beam.:twothumbs
It's a fantastic torch.Bright,floody and #@!!! HOT! I mean literaly.
What's with this thing,it gets very warm after 5 min. at 10 min. it's so hot i can't even hold it.:sick2: Beyond 20 min. i'm barely holding it by the tail cap even that's painful.
My other Surefire's don't do this including my E2DL which is more powerful.
Was this light designed to be used with oven mitts?
Is everyone elses like this or is mine an ice melter?

Take care

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
All L4's are like that. It's because it uses an overdriven Luxeon V LED instead of the newer more efficient ones. It's similar to the P7 in that it has 4 led dies in one package. If I recall they drive it at over 6 watts, which results in alot of waste heat. Back before the Cree and Seoul emitters it was about as powerful as a single LED light could get.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
About four years ago I put a KL4 head on my E2e and loved the wall of light from the outset but was concerned about the excessive heat. It also eats up batteries like worse than an incan, so this year I Dremelled out the body and started running it on a 17670 cell, but with so much heat travelling up the tube I'm beginning to wonder how long I can run it before I end up with a pipe bomb in my hand? The longest I've run mine is about 8-10 min straight. I'd be too nervous to try 20 mins. :poof: