Jetbeam - Your Experience?

kris994

Newly Enlightened
I am considering buying a Jet Pro - M after a recommendation but i have never heard of Jetbeam.. Are they reliable and good quality?

Thanks!

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
"Are they reliable and good quality?"

Yes, absolutely so! I have the old CL-E V.1.2 and V.2 plus the newer Jet-I MK I.B.S and have been totally satisfied with all three. They are extremely well made and have outstanding performance for the price. Check out the reviews at: http://www.light-reviews.com/

metawaffle

Newly Enlightened
I was in the market for something like the Fenix TK-11, but discussion and advice here led me to the Jet III Pro instead. One comment in particular that I remember was something like "once you're used to the JetBeam interface, everything else seems clumsy", which turned out to be entirely true. I've since picked up the Jet III Pro ST as well, and convinced myself I didn't need any more after that :grin2:

Quality wise, they're top-notch, the sort of thing you'd expect from lights in that sort of price bracket. My favourite little touch is the square threads. Both mine came with switch assemblies for forward- and reverse-clicky switches, too, which was nice.

The only thing is that the cheaper lights I have lying around, that used to feel solid and dependable, now feel like toys :rolleyes:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in the market for something like the Fenix TK-11, but discussion and advice here led me to the Jet III Pro instead. One comment in particular that I remember was something like "once you're used to the JetBeam interface, everything else seems clumsy", which turned out to be entirely true. I've since picked up the Jet III Pro ST as well, and convinced myself I didn't need any more after that :grin2:

Quality wise, they're top-notch, the sort of thing you'd expect from lights in that sort of price bracket. My favourite little touch is the square threads. Both mine came with switch assemblies for forward- and reverse-clicky switches, too, which was nice.

The only thing is that the cheaper lights I have lying around, that used to feel solid and dependable, now feel like toys :rolleyes:

+1 for the Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST. It just feels so solid in your hand, the IBS takes a bit of getting used to (all of 5 minutes to learn, experiment then set your modes) but after that, the lowest modes of most other flashlights all seem too bright (cannot ignore the photons with their insane low output) the minimum mode of the Jet III is so low that my Fenix E01 is brighter in an eyeball comparison test on a wall.

But that being said, max is 225 lumens (manufacturer rated) and the strobe modes are programmable at your discretion. Finishing is excellent, waterproof to IBX8 standards, feels very very sturdy, I'm very pleased with it.

My other EDC is a Jetbeam Jet I Mk IIx (very old model, no longer in production) and i am thinking of giving that to my dad and getting myself another Jet I (runs on AA/14500) with IBS.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam is a very good light, you won't be dissapointed! Mine has very good tint and brightness, the annodizing of the different parts is very consistent. The clicky feels nice.

AlexGT

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the past Jetbeam had lots of 'issues' with electronics and some other things. They always seemed to have top quality machining and appeal externally but a lot of management and supply issues too. Quote from Jetbeams web site if anyone thinks I'm just blowing smoke here :
"ABOUT JETBeam
JETBeam was first founded by three Chinese flashaholics 4 years ago, with the original intention to produce best flashlights for all. We achieved to some extent, however, these three founders have their own occupation and not able to spare enough time for the producing and selling of JETBeam, which resulted in many constant problems in managing and after service since the establishment of this brand, the developing and managing of products once run into a dilemma during the first half of this year. Right at the moment, in order to save the brand, RUI ZHI Trading Co. (a friend of JETBeam) fully took over the operating of JETBeam's business, with the hope and confidence to better develop and expand JETBeam's business worldwide. About two months ago, R.Z. began to try managing the selling and after service for the remaining products of JETBeam in CPF. During two months' operating, of course, we met with many problems and find that there are a lot need to be improved; also, we noticed that it would be of more convenience if we develop worldwide distributing system for our customers."

NOW though - after I had completely given up on the idea of ever having a good Jetbeam I have recently acquired 2 of their newer models and I think they have made some real progress in both electronics and features. I've come full circle to really like the Jetbeam lights and while they may still be ironing out some wrinkles in a few aspects they have some very cool products that have come out in the last 6 months or so and they seem to have a better handle on the quality.

Last edited:

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
I got the Jet II IBS a few months ago and it's become my favorite light. Built solid, very low low, brighter than all get out high (even when not fully driven), and easy to hold on to. Top notch in all regards. And thanks to and ill placed spider web, I even threw it in the air and it landed on the concrete basement floor, fairing much better than I imagined it would....hardly a scratch.

I still like my fenix's and others, just like this little bugger better.

Go for it, you know you want one. And the folks at Bug Out Gear will treat you right.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Jet III-M is my favourite light right now.
The low is really low ( ridiculously low )
and the built quality has been improved especially the tactical forward clicky - marvelous.My Jet3-M go with me where ever i go.Just can't stop admiring the quality & the beauty - you must not think twice on the Jet III Military unless you want that in titanium :)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I really loved my Jet-I Pro IBS until it got taken away from me the day after it showed up!

I'll be buying another and have only one reason for not making it my EDC and that is my preference for non-protruding heads.

The UI is perfect and low beam is one of the best!

boostedmiata

Newly Enlightened
My Jet III Pro should be here mid week, can't wait for it!! I was sold on the IBS design. My main intent is for a good bike light so the abilty to customize my setting per what I need is AWESOME.

metawaffle

Newly Enlightened
the minimum mode of the Jet III is so low that my Fenix E01 is brighter in an eyeball comparison test on a wall.

Good point! It's like an E01 that runs on an 18650 :twothumbs I didn't expect to be using those lights to check on the kids at night!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Jet III Pro ST is the best and smallest 18650 production light I have seen and used so far

very good price <-> value ratio

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Similar findings to what yellow just said above. I EDC a Jet C-LE - smallest AA production light in that form factor I know of. Very good price/value ratio. Very Good build quality and battery efficiency.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The finish, design, and size of my old C-LE is great. UI is too fiddly, and the efficiency compared to Fenix was lacking. I expect the latest Jetbeams are much better.

Geoff

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I have the JetBeam CLE v2 and it is my EDC. Very well made and multi-mode. Good light output and runtime with e2 lithiums but especially w/ 2500/2650mAH NiMH rechargables. It is waterproof (had it in my pocket swimming in the lake all day), has HAIII coating and is nice and small. Haven't had any issues with it so far. In fact, as a testament to how impressed I am with JetBeam, my next purchase will be another JetBeam. Either the Jet II IBS, Jet I Pro EX v2 or Jet III Pro M (or all 3 :twothumbs).

JetBeam = recommended. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Jet-III M and the Jet-III Pro Ultra today and I must say that I am happy but not overly impressed with the lights.

I love the M for the super long run-time on factory preset high power and the single stage user programmable setting is good but a little lacking. I would prefer another stage though for the moderate power but maybe I was asking for too much?

Throw factor for the M is good but comparing the M to my Nitecore Extreme SS Crenellated, there is only so little of an improvement in the throw department. I was already very pleased with the Extreme due to it's very small size and output so I was expecting to get a much better performing light in the throw factor when I read all the hype here that JETBeams are good throwers. At 200 meters, approx 660 feet, the M is only slightly brighter than the Extreme. Not that impressive though comparing the 3 times bigger size ratio to the Extreme. Both my lights runs on freshly charged cells. The M uses AW's 18650, and the Extreme on AW's RCR123.

Next, this is in regards to the Pro Ultra. I was given the impression by Flavio of BugOutGear that the Ultra is a better thrower than the M because of the bigger and deeper reflector. What I noticed is a pencil beam that is not as bright as the M out at 200 meters. What makes it worst is the I.B.S. setting. Let me explain why.

I was totally sold out on the I.B.S. settings for JETBeam which is the primary reason I bought the lights in the first place but having been used to the "momentary on" function as provided by Surefire, Nitecore Extreme and Infinity which I sometimes used for signaling, I find it rather irritating to be trying to flash the light but just to see it change mode from high power, to low power, and to strobe. I wished it was designed like the M or the Extreme and Infinity which allows one to change power by turning the bezel instead of clicking on the tail cap.

If anyone who owns a Nitecore (Extreme, Infinity, D10, or EX10) and claims that it is not easy to change the power output setting, I would say that it is much better in contrast to the Jet-III Pro Ultra. The Ultra is the most poorly designed light in terms of user interface. I have to click 3 times on the tail cap in each mode to get into the "hidden menu" just to adjust the desired power for the particular setting. It sounds easy right? More often than not I ended up switching power settings than actually trying to access the "hidden menu". Took me a whole afternoon and having my hands cramping up on me to actually set the light to full power on all 3 modes so I could use it as a light with momentary on function. I think the Ultra is a piece of garbage IMHO.

The M (Military version) is still good I think. Just avoid the Pro Ultra. I am not so sure about Jet-III Pro I.B.S. or any other Jet lights but I guess I am not about to try out and see my money go busted when the Nitecores are currently serving me very well. Considering the prospect of easy EDC due to it's small size, I would say the Nitecores are much better. You may say that I am comparing apples to oranges but hey, including shipping charges to Singapore, they do cost a lot more than the Nitecores that I have which ships free.

One thing to note though, Flavio from BugOutGear do provide good and attentive service.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
I just got my Jet-III M and the Jet-III Pro Ultra today and I must say that I am happy but not overly impressed with the lights.

I love the M for the super long run-time on factory preset high power and the single stage user programmable setting is good but a little lacking. I would prefer another stage though for the moderate power but maybe I was asking for too much?

Throw factor for the M is good but comparing the M to my Nitecore Extreme SS Crenellated, there is only so little of an improvement in the throw department. I was already very pleased with the Extreme due to it's very small size and output so I was expecting to get a much better performing light in the throw factor when I read all the hype here that JETBeams are good throwers. At 200 meters, approx 660 feet, the M is only slightly brighter than the Extreme. Not that impressive though comparing the 3 times bigger size ratio to the Extreme. Both my lights runs on freshly charged cells. The M uses AW's 18650, and the Extreme on AW's RCR123.

Next, this is in regards to the Pro Ultra. I was given the impression by Flavio of BugOutGear that the Ultra is a better thrower than the M because of the bigger and deeper reflector. What I noticed is a pencil beam that is not as bright as the M out at 200 meters. What makes it worst is the I.B.S. setting. Let me explain why.

I was totally sold out on the I.B.S. settings for JETBeam which is the primary reason I bought the lights in the first place but having been used to the "momentary on" function as provided by Surefire, Nitecore Extreme and Infinity which I sometimes used for signaling, I find it rather irritating to be trying to flash the light but just to see it change mode from high power, to low power, and to strobe. I wished it was designed like the M or the Extreme and Infinity which allows one to change power by turning the bezel instead of clicking on the tail cap.

If anyone who owns a Nitecore (Extreme, Infinity, D10, or EX10) and claims that it is not easy to change the power output setting, I would say that it is much better in contrast to the Jet-III Pro Ultra. The Ultra is the most poorly designed light in terms of user interface. I have to click 3 times on the tail cap in each mode to get into the "hidden menu" just to adjust the desired power for the particular setting. It sounds easy right? More often than not I ended up switching power settings than actually trying to access the "hidden menu". Took me a whole afternoon and having my hands cramping up on me to actually set the light to full power on all 3 modes so I could use it as a light with momentary on function. I think the Ultra is a piece of garbage IMHO.

The M (Military version) is still good I think. Just avoid the Pro Ultra. I am not so sure about Jet-III Pro I.B.S. or any other Jet lights but I guess I am not about to try out and see my money go busted when the Nitecores are currently serving me very well. Considering the prospect of easy EDC due to it's small size, I would say the Nitecores are much better. You may say that I am comparing apples to oranges but hey, including shipping charges to Singapore, they do cost a lot more than the Nitecores that I have which ships free.

One thing to note though, Flavio from BugOutGear do provide good and attentive service.

Which switch are you using on your Ultra? If you're using the forward clickie then try installing the reverse clickie. This is what the IBS lights were designed around. The forward clickie was only released after many customers demanded a forward clickie option, however it doesn't work great with the IBS system. The Military was redesigned with the forward clickie user in mind and that is why it works so well. The Ultra has the same UI as all the other IBS lights in this series (all current models have the IBS system) and I have yet to hear a bad thing about it until now.

As for the Ultra vs Military for throw...The Ultra does throw further due to its larger/deeper reflector design. I'm not sure how you evaluated your two lights, but throwers will typically have less spill than a light with OP reflector such as the Military and therefore the result is more of a pinpoint beam rather than flood coverage.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

IcantC

Enlightened
I have the C-LE V2 and I love that light! Never had any problems with it.

I wanted to buy more, but I like to buy lights I can upgrade. They do make some great looking lights though.