Removing SF M6 Bezel???

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Ok so I went and ordered a few of the Ti Bezels for my Surefire M6's from RPM.

Anyone have advice on how to remove the stock bezel without damaging the light? I opted for a removal tool from RPM, however it sounds like I may need to use heat to remove...

Anyone try this and have luck?

Regards,
Flavio

Illum

Flashaholic
Simple enough...Thanks! or should I just "nuke" it for a few seconds? :crackup:

Regards,
Flavio

you will melt everything...from the reflector coating to the neoprene foam between the window and the reflector, which will probably flow out all over your window and ruin that too.

Nuke your M6 and you nuke your warranty:shrug:

Illum

Flashaholic
Don't you get water/steam inside the reflector if you do that?

I presume its zip-loked at least twice...I hate to imagine the water stain film on the reflector and everything else...with the tap water around here the M6 will look like its been to a limestone quarry and washed its way down to the beach through the backwash:ohgeez:

coyote223

Newly Enlightened
Would a Heat gun or Blow dryer work? Hate to drop such an expensive part in boiling water, but will if it's the best way to do it. Zip lock bag sounds like a good idea.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Would a Heat gun or Blow dryer work? Hate to drop such an expensive part in boiling water, but will if it's the best way to do it. Zip lock bag sounds like a good idea.

Good question, to remove thread locker (loc tite), similar to what SF uses to lock the heads together, they recommend you use heat (depending on the grade of loc tite). A heat gun would be the best choice, and quickest, providing you don't over heat the bezel.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I'm not 100%, but its a good guess they are using loc tite. The 577 is a yellow compound, I thought SF might be using a grade that has a red or blue compound. I would of guessed that SF is using either 262 or 277, but since I've never taken a head apart, I have no way of telling.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
As a follow up to the OP, once the bezel is removed, what's the best way to get the left-over loctite out of the threads for reassembly?

A hard bristle brush, its important to remove every last trace of loctite before applying a new coat.

EDIT Once the loctite is removed, the bezel mite lose its waterproof rating. If you wish to use the M6 in or around water, I'd suggest a low grade loctite to lock the bezel together.

Last edited:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
I heated mine up with a blow gun and then used some rubber mesh to aid my grip and just twisted it off. Took 10 mins total. I am not a big chap and it was pretty hard- took a few goes getting it hot enough ie heat then try then heat some more then try....I was scared for the neoprene nut nil problems thankfully...YMMV as they say. Good luck

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:eek: Yes you ought to baggie the head!

From what I've seen they use red.

I have a soft brass brush to clean those threads of gunk while it's still hot. Also Acetone can help you but be very carefull to keep it off the reflector!

And yes using the blue would be great for ensuring a good watertight seal.