novatac 120p Mod?

r-ice

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this is the correct area to ask this question. I was wondering if there are any mods for the novatac 120p to get more throw!?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "SuperNova" mod, its basically replacing the reflector on the NOvatac with a TIR optic . The optics are the one found in pre-Cree surefire heads (KL-1).

r-ice

Newly Enlightened
ahh i was just thinking of that! There seems to be a person named milky? who can do this, but it seems he's a busy guy! I was wondering if we can find the reflector and do this ourselves?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can one get it? (optic)
:)
Your best bet is to find a KL1 and dissect the optic. Mod the KL1 with Seoul and McR-20S while your at it and use the TIR on your Nova...:devil:

DM51

Flashaholic
Would the 120P be a feasible host for the high-CRI Nichia 083? In the Sundrop, the LED looks quite large, but that could just be the magnifying effect of the lens.

If it worked, it would obviously not be able to achieve anything like the brightness of even the stock LED - perhaps you might get ~50 lm - but it would be very good to have the true color rendition of the Nichia 083 combined with the multi levels of the Novatac.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the 120P be a feasible host for the high-CRI Nichia 083? In the Sundrop, the LED looks quite large, but that could just be the magnifying effect of the lens.

If it worked, it would obviously not be able to achieve anything like the brightness of even the stock LED - perhaps you might get ~50 lm - but it would be very good to have the true color rendition of the Nichia 083 combined with the multi levels of the Novatac.

It'd be slightly difficult and you would have a hard time getting an optic the can focus it. Running mule style would compromise waterproofness. The best option would be the High-CRI Neutral white P4.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think replace the reflector with optic on Novatac is a good idea.

If you open it up you'll see the pill is narrower than inner tube diameter so doesn't make contact with sidewall well. It is however pressed tightly against the aluminum reflector, which act as the middle man to conduct heat away from the LED/module. Change that to optics you take away the middle man, so now the heat has to go through the air barrier between pill and sidewall.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think replace the reflector with optic on Novatac is a good idea.

If you open it up you'll see the pill is narrower than inner tube diameter so doesn't make contact with sidewall well. It is however pressed tightly against the aluminum reflector, which act as the middle man to conduct heat away from the LED/module. Change that to optics you take away the middle man, so now the heat has to go through the air barrier between pill and sidewall.

The reflector is mostly sitting on the LED and there's a very very small (less than a sheet of paper) gap between the module and the reflector. So changing to an optic isn't going to kill your light or severely change your runtimes.

The Main junction for transfer of heat from the module is the lip inside the body and the area around the LED on the module anyway. That's an area where you should put some thermal grease. The thread I have on changing emitters on the HDS shows what I'm talking about.

Stupid design change going from threaded body and module to using retaining rings was it?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put some silicone grease between the mating surface of reflector and module, it seems to help the heat transfer a lot because I can feel the reflector section becoming warm. They could've made the module a little fatter for better contact thou, also will help with the LED centering problem since the module won't be moving around as much.

1dash1

Enlightened
Not sure if this is the correct area to ask this question. I was wondering if there are any mods for the novatac 120p to get more throw!?

I don't get it. :thinking: The best feature of the 120P is its beam (IMO).

If you want more throw, why not pick up a Jetbeam, NDI, or LF5XT?

manoloco

Enlightened
to me its the versatility and driver. good tough body too, wont negate it has a very useful beam, but there are other reasons that can be used to have a nice throwy light.

1dash1

Enlightened
I'm not suggesting that throwy lights don't serve a purpose.

I'm suggesting that instead of modding a 120P, just go ahead and purchase a throwy light.

manoloco

Enlightened
maybe i didnt explain myself well, i meant there are many good reasons to turn the novatac into a throwy light, reasons like its versatility (multi mode, multi level), UI, strong host, etc.

r-ice

Newly Enlightened
novatac 120p is a great light, and I would love to make it throwyer.. lol is that even a word..