Coast LED Lenser HD7736CP

Jon S

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a flashlight at Home Depot... a Coast LED Lenser HD7736CP which is not shown on the Coast or LED Lenser sites... anyway, theflight is rated at 141 lumens, 4.2 watts, and uses three AAA batteries. it is 4.5" long and has a prism reflector and is rated for 36 hours run time...

Oh yeah... it was $38. It is quite bright and is a fixed focused unit. Anyone seen this puppy before?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds kind of pricy for this kind of light. The run time ratings are also usually pretty meaningless 3xaaa lights are almost always direct driven and gradually get dimmer. So even if it is still technically putting out light after 36 hours its most likely an unusable amount of light. How is the beam pattern tho? Post some pics if u can.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems they have upgraded the " Hokus Focus " :popcorn:
More knurling than before. Is the battery and body contacts still gold?

It appears they are using a newer emitter than the luxeons they used to use. I don't know if it's Seoul or cree. Probably A Seoul, because the wouldn't need to change the optic design from the luxeon.

If you use NiMH batteries, it will hold full brightess a very long time.

HokusFocusRT.png

Sarratt

Enlightened
Thanks for the data EngrPaul.

I'm thinking of getting the Led Lenser P14 (4 AA) in the hope that the new optic design combined with a new emitter will throw noticeably more than my old, but still great, Luxeon ProPoly.

Jon S

Newly Enlightened
It seems they have upgraded the " Hokus Focus " :popcorn:
More knurling than before. Is the battery and body contacts still gold?

It appears they are using a newer emitter than the luxeons they used to use. I don't know if it's Seoul or cree. Probably A Seoul, because the wouldn't need to change the optic design from the luxeon.

If you use NiMH batteries, it will hold full brightess a very long time.
yes... the contacts for the battery cell is gold...

eniwetok

Newly Enlightened

I bought one of these Coast Lenser lights at Home Depot for the same price last December. I thought it might replace my old Princeton Blast on my keychain but it's much too heavy and I fear from my car's ignition lock.

It's quite the torch for its size but as others have noted, there's no regulated power supply so the output gradually fades using regular batteries. The beam started to get a noticeably dimmer after about 3-4 hours of use. The stated 36 hours of battery life must be to zero output... so that is VERY misleading and a disappointment from a company that makes professional equipment. If they expect to sell a flashlight for $40, then they OWE consumers all the relevant data.

At this point I have to EDIT my original post since I'm remembering more of why I originally purchased this tac light. Which leads us here:

The COAST 2009 catalog says "LED LENSER'S Power Transformation Technology Overpowers Other LED Lights. PTT lights use a microprocessor to digitally increase the voltage supplied to the LED. At the same time, PTT regulates the current. This means a
brighter, more consistent light in a smaller package. For example, with PTT, you get the power of a 3 C-cell batteries from a single AA battery. Plus, because the microprocessor regulates the output, you get more consistent light over the life of the battery"

Because Coast throws around meaningless terms like "Power Chip", I originally believed that this model DID have a voltage regulator. But it seems of all their lineup only a few light actually have PTT. Given this light's actual performance... I have to assume it's not one of the chosen. So I now consider Coast's literature to be even MORE misleading. For my purposes I may buy a Coleman MAX… a smaller 2AA light that rates 111 lumens.

As for the Coast light… I'll be switching over to rechargeables... the poor man's power regulation. And while I may not quite get the rated output... it will stay the same until the voltage crashes and I get lost in the dark. LOL

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
The stated 36 hours of battery life must be to zero output... so that is VERY misleading and a disappointment from a company that makes professional equipment. If they expect to sell a flashlight for $40, then they OWE consumers all the relevant data.

If your disappointed about the way LL measures the runtime, then you will be disappointed with ALL manufacturers, because that is how runtime is measured. Its not to 50%, not even 10%, its from hero to zero, and that's the way every manufacturer measures runtime.

EngrPaul, good job on the runtime graph. You just proved a lot of CPF members wrong in that the output doesnt drop to 50% within the first 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:

Blacklight

Enlightened
If your disappointed about the way LL measures the runtime, then you will be disappointed with ALL manufacturers, because that is how runtime is measured. Its not to 50%, not even 10%, its from hero to zero, and that's the way every manufacturer measures runtime.

EngrPaul, good job on the runtime graph. You just proved a lot of CPF members wrong in that the output doesnt drop to 50% within the first 5-10 minutes.

That is not true of all manufacturers. Coleman currently claims run times to 10% of initial light output. In the next 60 days or so, most credible lighting companies will all use this as the new ANSI standards are approved and released. Good new for the consumers as most manufacturer claims will now be done to the exact same testing standards so it will be easier for you to do side by side comparisons. The only thing you can't really tell by the new standards is the run time curve, but as many people say here, if it takes 3 batteries assume it is direct drive and that it will not be the same output curve as a regulated circuit. if you need a regulated circuit, I am sure most manufacturers will claim that on their packaging to help clairify (it just isn't covered by any ANSI standard).

Marduke

Flashaholic

Not true!!

Most reputable manufacturers measure to 50%, or end of regulation (above 50%). In a true regulated light, either method is with minutes of each other.

As to #2, again, not true. LL specifically forbids use of NiMH cells in their lights. Using alkalines, the output does significantly drop in the first few minutes.

SureAddicted

Enlightened

I was referring to rechargeables, that is what the runtime graph represents... and no marduke is not right. You guys change your tune according to the weather. I'd still like to see a manufacturers link on what I asked for previously, MANUFACTURERS, not CPFer's. The later do a better job, thats not the issue here. I've also seen that runtime graph (alky) and at the 30% mark it's around the ~24 minute mark, where the hell are you guys getting 10 min from? Actually don't answer that.

Apologies to Jon S for going OT

Marduke

Flashaholic
I was referring to rechargeables, that is what the runtime graph represents... and no marduke is not right. You guys change your tune according to the weather. I'd still like to see a manufacturers link on what I asked for previously, MANUFACTURERS, not CPFer's. The later do a better job, thats not the issue here. I've also seen that runtime graph (alky) and at the 30% mark it's around the ~24 minute mark, where the hell are you guys getting 10 min from? Actually don't answer that.

Apologies to Jon S for going OT

Manufacturers don't have to state it, it's simply the value given, as proven by hundreds of runtime plots found here. Coming from reputable manufacturers, runtimes for regulated lights are for the regulated portion of runtime, which is virtually identical to the 50% mark.

And yes, there is CLEARLY a 30% drop at approximately 10 minutes. most of that drop occurs in the first couple minutes. It's hard to see the initial drop because it happens so damn fast.