My last camping trip in the US, used the 5AQ2 and Malkoff M30.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, its time to start packing up and putting all my lights and bits into socks......but here is my last experience with two LED units.

I took my Dereelight D26 5AQ2 three-stage (Q2, 2.8V-4.2V, 1.2A) drop-in in a 1x 18650 host (not important what host) ....... also a Dereelight D26 5AQ2 three-stage (Q3?, 2.8V-4.2V, 1.2A) drop-in in another 1x18650 host. The second unit had Q3 written on the side with a texta pen and this unit was brighter than the original Q2.

Also took my new Malkoff M30 single-stage (1V-5.5V, I think it is 1A, but not sure what LED) with me in another 1x 18650 host.

We went to a place where the leaves on the trees varied in color and were coming down like rain.....I haven't seen this kind of carry-on for about 30 years.

OK, so out came the lights and we all went for a night walk........First obvious thing I noticed is that the 5AQ2's were nearly as warm in tint color as my Incans and this showed up in the result, the leaves looked like I expected.

Now, the M30 was turned on and WOW, brighter than my expectations, very nice beam, no rings to speak of, and a very good combination of throw, flood and spill. I actually used this light the most during the night even though the tint color is "neutral white" at best, just could not get over the beam characteristics, it lit up the area nicely.....also worked great as a table lantern with the usual white plastic shopping bag over the top of it (like an opened parachute) and it worked great in the car, bounced of the car ceiling......if anything, in some cases it was a little too bright and I wish there would be a low level on the unit.

So, if you want a warm tint, can't beat the 5AQ2's (or is it now Q3's?) and with the multi-level, good as a "walk around the camp" light.

And if you want a bright, white, balanced beam type of light then get yourself the M30.

Cant go wrong with either of them..........and sorry, no beam shots for now, it was near freezing during the night and I was lucky to be able to operate the switches, let alone anything else. :)

Last edited: