Coast LED Lenser X7/X21

timsy

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum - found it when looking up led torches, and it seems like a great community, so I thought i'ld ask for some help here.

I'm looking at getting at a Coast LED Lenser X7/X21 (i think they are the same thing, but different sites have different model numbers).

http://www.ledlenser.com.au/ledlenser_handheld.htm

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ZL8421
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]X21[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MAX LUMENS 1068
MAX WATT 16.36
BATTERY (4) D
BATTERY LIFE 125 (hrs)

Its rather pricey, at around $490 australian dollars, so i was wondering if anyone has any experience with it - and if it is really worth almost 500 bucks?

I've got a LED Lenser tactical focus, which is about 80 lumens which im really happy with, but was looking for something with a bit more grunt - I know the P7 is a quite good buy at the moment - however I saw this one and wonder if it's really that good?

Or is there an equivalent model which is cheaper in another manufacturer?

Thanks guys!
[/FONT]

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
i owned the ZL7438 before. i have not handled the X21 but at AU$490 its not worth it.

taking into account technology improves as time passes, that huge behemoth will loose the lumen (and maybe even runtime:() dual to newer more compact lights of tomorrow.

runtime of 125hrs defined as total runtime or regulated at 1000+lm? :candle:

that said, not many competitors have a focusable light...:sigh:

Last edited:

reloader45

Newly Enlightened
Hallo Timsy,

I have 3 flashlights from Led-Lenser and none of them has an electronic current regulation. Most of the Led Lenser flashlights are very simple constructed, direct driven flashlights. Compared with Fenix, they are overpriced.
My only LedLenser favorite is the Hokus Focus. It is a bright light and has a focus that works. After modding this flashlight with a Seoul P4 Led, the light output is very good.
Have you ever visited the microfire website?
They have a 7 Cree flashlight with Lithium accu and also some brandnew flashlights with teh new Seoul P7.
You can find the homepage under www.microfire.de. An english version is also available.

reloader 45

timsy

Newly Enlightened
thanks for that guys - sounds like its not a good idea then. Is there a similar torch (like with the same lumens output) which is regulated in another brand?

otherways i may get the P14 - seems similar to the P7, but uses AA batteries instead of AAA

jupello

Enlightened
thanks for that guys - sounds like its not a good idea then. Is there a similar torch (like with the same lumens output) which is regulated in another brand?

otherways i may get the P14 - seems similar to the P7, but uses AA batteries instead of AAA

When comparing lumen ratings of the focusable Led Lensers and other lights, remember that in the unfocusable lights some portion of the light always goes into some unwanted place (=wasted light).
Unfortunately most other brands have not put effort into focus systems.. but if you are just looking for lots of light you could consider HID lights too :popcorn:

timsy

Newly Enlightened
what is a HID light? yeah thats whats so good about the lensers - the current tactical focus one i have is only 80 lumens, but its really bright at the "dot" area

1996alnl

Enlightened
I wouldn't touch that light with a ten foot pole. Don't get fooled by the numbers,you can get alot more light for that money.
My experience with coast is their outputs are exegerated and their run times is a joke. The focus system rivals a Mag and the light isn't regulated. I think their over priced,this company is German but trust me there's no German engineering here.

Take care.

SureAddicted

Enlightened

I'd settle on the P14 as well, it's just a little easier to hold than the P7. Your getting a lot of light for the money, I can't recommend anything that's better value.

timsy

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys for the help!
i've ordered a P14 - should arrive in a couple of days - will let you know how it goes!

seems like theres a huge world of torches out there - will have more of a look into things and maybe try some of the other brands before i invest such a large amount of money on a big torch!

thanks again for all the help!

reloader45

Newly Enlightened
Hallo,

LedLenser is a German company, but the production is in China.
The chinese people are able to produce better products, like the Fenix flashlights.
If you want German technology, look for a microfire flashlight.

reloader 45

Sarratt

Enlightened
From what I've read lately the 2008 LED Lenser versions are much much better than their earlier lights.
However their reputation is going to take some time to overcome.
(exaggerated output and/or runtimes).

I eagerly await your verdict on the P14. Considering one for myself.

reloader45

Newly Enlightened
Hallo Jirik,

I am shocked! When you look at the German webside of microfire.de, there is no hint, that their flashlights are not produced in Germany. Thank you for the information. Although the flashlights look very nice, I think, they are overpriced for chinese production.
So it is very helpfull to join this forum.

reloader 45

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks guys for the help!
i've ordered a P14 - should arrive in a couple of days - will let you know how it goes!

So any thoughts about the P14? I have the P7 and its my favourite torch at the moment.

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
We are talking about Led lenser´s products here.

Personally, i have lost my interrest to this manufacturer forever...

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are talking about Led lenser´s products here.

Personally, i have lost my interrest to this manufacturer forever...
Well actually I was after timsy's opinion of the P14 but thanks for your input. I did read that thread and I think you're a little negative about Led Lenser, but I'll put that down to lack of interest on your behalf.

I'm absolutely loving my P7 at the moment. I've read Art's review and the P7 seems to be smarter of the two choices but man, theres an itch with the P14 that I just need to scratch.