poll: what reflector/optics do you like?

what do you like an reflector or optics?

• smooth reflector

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • orange peel reflector

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • hybride reflector

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • optics / lenses

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • other

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

ozner1991

Enlightened
im just wondering what people on this forum prefer for reflector or optics in the flashlights they have
:popcorn:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Re: poll what do you like?

I voted Orange Peel (OP) reflector.:popcorn: I like the smooth beams they create.

Zeige

Enlightened

I voted Optics, because I love the TIR beam of my E2DL and E1B. If its a non-surefire light I would vote OP though.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depends :grin2:
I'll vote for one here after I've said my piece, but in general each has it's own merits. One of the big factors is what we're running. A Cree XR-E is hideous behind smooth and most OP reflectors. But then again an SSC P4 is beautiful with smooth reflectors. There are no optics for HIDs or hotwires (unless RA is cooking something really evil up for a new creation). So yeah...
I'm going to go ahead and vote optic because some of my favorite small LED flashlights use optics.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Optics for me. The Lowes task force has no business emitting as many lumens as it does. 2xAlkaline, Low-bin Cree, minimal heatsinking at best. I think its the efficiency of its Fraen optic that really helps.

The newer Lenser 3AAA:sick2: lights also really capitalize on the optic efficiency.

Malkoff M60... nuff' said.

Last edited:

nismotor

Newly Enlightened
Optics !
Best utilization of all them wandering lumens :twothumbs

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP seems good for general purpose. For real throw, I like the recoil (rear facing LED into parabolic reflector) for tight searchlight type throw and no sidespill.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
its OP for me. the smooth beam is good for flooding general area. those with a central hotspot are easier to discern depth of field or spotting stuff (rather than have patches of light).

;)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Optics

Regarding flashlights, I believe optics are the future of redirecting light.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The Nichia GS/CS emitters also benefit from their flood-focusing dome optics. They aren't really a "pure flood" type of emitter. The dome provides a little beam focus and a slight hot spot.

I think it would be REALLY nice for Cree to develop an XR-E with emitter dome geometry used to focus Lumens.:poke:

Imagine that... Q5-WC 225 emitter lumens would be ACTUAL out the front lumens. No need for a reflector, head or bezel, although you still might need a window to protect the dome. You could just have an aluminum pipe to house the battery and DC-DC circuit with the emitter dome sticking out the front

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
As good as optics are "like on my Taskforce" I am hands down in favor for Par bulb designs. They have extremely height light transmission "filament is perched on tiny silver colored post" with nothing but glass in front and reflector behind "there is even reflector coating behind the filament it's self!"

Though admittedly the bulbs are more fragile, bulky, and heavy then normal setups :shakehead :sigh:. They do produce absolutely absurd throw "2.35 watt = 1 mile!:faint::D"