suggest me a flashlight for photography

lucio

Newly Enlightened
hi all, always a pleasure coming back here, and even a greater pleasure starting to look for the new flashlight to buy. :D

my bro just called me few minutes ago, asking me to send him a flashlight. he needs a portable light for photography's purpose (enlighteningh a bouquet, a face, some other detail).

he already has a lot of stuff for diffuse light and fixed stuff for focused light, so he needs a portable flashlight that's not a floody one (if someone of you remember not like the old nuwai tm-301X-5 for example that was an all-out floody one) but not necessarlly one with a tight beam because the one holding the flashlight would be really close to the detail to be enlightened so there's no need for exasperate tight beam. it's just important that it's not only about flood.

it would better if the light has some level among of which you can choose from.
it would be important that the light had a good runtime or that could run with rechargeale (so I'd rule out the incandescent ones).
the beam colour is kinda important too: today lights can be easily edited with software, but better not getting a very cold one anyway.

then, last but no least, come my needs: i'd like to get him a Fenix and a newer one so i can enjoy it too when it'll arrive (so possibly some newer ones, no P3D and P2D, both GREAT, but I already own both of them and no L2T).

price range, let's say 70 usd, but if some new great one just came out there i wouldn't mind spending more to get it ;)

so, any suggestion?

thank you!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
For better colors and a general purpose beam with decent spill and flood I'd recommend a Dereelight CL1H with a 5A tint dropin, 3SD (3-mode using an 18650). Might end up a small bit above your range but it is one of the best lights out there.

For something a bit cheaper you could try the Sgt Burkett form LiteMania over in the marketplace. $50+ I believe for a simple 1-stage twisty host, can use an 18650 and get it with a K2 emitter which will hopefully have a ncier tint than the SSC option.

There are tons of other lights out there too now. Plenty of nice AA lights. The Nightcore D20 may be something to look at as well. Most of the single AA lights I've seen have ringy beams so I'd avoid them for photography lighting purposes.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry, but what you're describing that he needs and what you want to get him seem opposite. He's going to use the light to put a spotlight on his subjects. Incandescent light is the only current type of light that has the full color spectrum. While warm white l.e.d.s are becoming more available, they don't produce any red light. This isn't good if you're trying to light up a vase of roses. He needs a somewhat even beam so the hotspot doesn't show up in the picture or blind the subject. You want to get him a light with some throw. You worry about runtime when it seems like all he has to do is light up the subject and take the pictures before turning the light back off. You're hoping to get him a Fenix so you can get one for yourself in the same shipment. Most Fenix lights use Cree l.e.d.s which have a gap of light between the hotspot and spill light. Textured reflectors reduce this problem a lot, but they don't totally eliminate it. It may show up in a picture. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is your want for a Fenix light affecting your buying decision for your brother's light?
Seems like what he needs is an incandescent light or warm white l.e.d. light with a balance of spot and flood. I'd suggest a Surefire 6P or a Cabela's 6 volt light. Get a bulb for it that will work with lithium ion rechargeables (17670s) and get him some lithium ion batteries and a charger. If you are dead set on getting an l.e.d. light, I'd suggest a Inova T1. It has lots of flood as well as a large hotspot with a gradual transition between the two. It runs over 4 hours regulated at 100 lumens and you have a good chance of getting a warm white l.e.d.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Incandescent light is the only current type of light that has the full color spectrum.

Actually, sunlight is the only type of light source that has the full color spectrum. Next best is the McGizmo SunDrop, using the Nichia 083 High Color Rendition emitter.

manoloco

Enlightened
i have a Phillips or GE incan light bulb that claims to have a full spectrum beam, bought it some years ago, and the iguanas i raised by that time loved it, was the best thing to keep them warm and happy, besides them being free to go outside anytime (they love sunlight, because its their main source of heat), the bulb was a bit expensive too, but dont remember how much.

as soon as i get home i will look for it, i hope its still around. colors looked great with it.

still, like i said before, for a portable flashlight, from what i have heard the sundrop is hard to match.

or buy a SSC P4 flashlight and mod it with a high CRI P4...

HKJ

Flashaholic
Does your brother know how weak a flashlight is, compared to photographic lights?

Next problem is color temperature, it will have to match the rest of the scene.

And as other have said, only incan has a full spectrum, led is not a full spectrum and neither is hid.

One way to get two different color temperatures, is to get a Dereelight CL1H and both a warm white and a cool white pill for it. It will still be missing in the color spectrum, but depending on how he wants the photo to look, it might or might not be a problem.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Actually, sunlight is the only type of light source that has the full color spectrum. Next best is the McGizmo SunDrop, using the Nichia 083 High Color Rendition emitter.

Might I suggest your check the spectrum for an incan, it has NO holes in it, but a lower color temperature.

HKJ

Flashaholic
An incan over emphasizes red while it is very weak in blue. Not perfect either.

Your have to adjust the color temperature on the camera, then it will give ok colors. But some camera might add more noise to the picture with this low color temperature.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I found something of interest to this thread:

incand2.jpg

sunligh2.jpg

xre700ma.png

I know McHizmo did a comparison with the Nichia warm white LEDs, but I can't find it right now.

bernie

insanefred

Enlightened
OP:
I am a (semi) professional photographer, I would suggest something that is 'easy on the eyes'. This means a warmer temperature.
The Fenix TK20 actually may fit the bill (Yes, I have one and it's my new EDC).
It's under $70, uses Rechargeable AA's, It's a spot, but for diffused light I recommend using "Lee #101 light frost" and has a long run time.

lucio

Newly Enlightened
i've read all the answers.

as someone pointed out too, in a second thought, I was trying too hard to bend someone's other need to my personal enjoyment, and that's not cool.

thank you all!

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
something ive been doing:

DSC_3373.jpg

taken with a Zebralight H30 as the only source of light in my dark room.

You just gotta play with the white balance, mine was flash set to -3 on the D40 i used.

Crenshaw

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of points to add from a non-expert in photography.

A human face and a bunch of flowers are very different targets. Humans have a habit of moving quite a bit so the exposure can't be very long. You'll need some strong light for them but not enough to make them squint or react to the light. If the flashlight is to be used just to enhance the available ambient light it won't have to be as strong.

If your brother is skilled he may be processing in RAW mode and can make some adjustments even after getting the camera settings optimal for the target.

I think the fellows that are suggesting the Dereelight flashlights may be giving you a suggestion that is more in line with what you really want. InsaneFred is telling what he as a pro uses.

Here's a couple of shots that show that incan does well with blue.

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

Here is a 200 lumen incan on fruit.

Here is a 900 luman incan on a plate of Chilean Sea Bass. A little more exposure would have helped. Notice the rendition between the cherry tomato, the raspberry, the bartlett pears and the baked red peppers
IMG_2033.jpg

EV_007

Enlightened
Nice effect with the blue Icebreak. :twothumbs

Here is a shot I did with a single flashlight.

lambo_green_EV_007.jpg

Taken with a 1AAA LED light shined from above. The LOD CE on 10440 set on high gives a nice bright floody even light source.

The cooler light color and the metallic green car lends itself well to this shot. Background color influenced by household lamp spilling in from other room.

This is of course a 1:18 replica shot to mimic a full scale car shoot that use huge expensive overhead lightbanks to light their subject.

Last edited: