Single AA twisty?

Bonky

Banned
Can't find a flashlight with a twisty (not clicky) switch that uses a single-AA! The smaller the better. Seems all Fenix AA lights have a tail clicky. They have twisties with 123s and AAA but no AA?

Any ideas?

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
May I suggest the Inova X1? It's by no means a barn burner. Mine has been reliable. I have so many flakey clickies I don't go anywhere with out an X1 in my pants pocket as a back up. Super long runtime too. I think Matt at batteryjunction has em on sale. :)

Hellbore

Enlightened
Jetbeam C-LE first generation or v1.2, I have a v1.2 and that's what I EDC.

There are reviews on here, and I'm told that Dealextreme has a rebranded first-generation C-LE for like $26.

Last edited:

ambientmind

Enlightened
I love my jetbeam cle v1.2 but its hard to find now. ha finish, 5 modes, and really small! its about the only jetbeam i like, although I havent tried their IBS ligths.

Hellbore

Enlightened
I love my jetbeam cle v1.2 but its hard to find now. ha finish, 5 modes, and really small! its about the only jetbeam i like, although I havent tried their IBS ligths.

Is it even possible to find them? Do you know any place that sells them?

I really like mine and I'm not sure I would want a tail-clickie version (which is what the 2.0 has).

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Peak Pacific is nice for a twisty AA (the pocket body tube makes it small). You can order it in a few power options as well. I only wish they would provide a glass lens instead of a plastic one - otherwise the light is very solid and well made.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I think the Peak Pacific is nice for a twisty AA (the pocket body tube makes it small). You can order it in a few power options as well. I only wish they would provide a glass lens instead of a plastic one - otherwise the light is very solid and well made.

you have more 5mm options than higher power emitters - the x1, gerber infinity, peak kilimanjaro etc...

but I agree that the Peak Pacific is a great choice. the pocket body is small and you have the option of a cr2, aaa, and 2xaaa configuration if you want. plus a variety of emitter and power level options. the luxiii lights are on sale right now at 50 percent off and at that price there is nothing that comes close I think

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll want to make a distinction between the "crush your battery" and the spring loaded type twisty switches.

IMO, the spring loaded type is better because it doesn't try to conduct electricity through the threads (it touches the end of the battery tube directly to the PCB) and so can't develop contact problems due to dirty threads (check this thread). It accommodates more battery lengths, can have smoother anodized threads, and won't rattle when off.

The Gerber Infinity and X1 are spring loaded twisties, although all 3 of my X1's eventually developed contact issues because the pushbutton plate they added in the tail somehow kept shifting to make contact with the body iffy. The Gerber Infinity is good if you're not looking for a high brightness light (but it has a 10 hr+ runtime).

I believe all Peaks are the crush-your-battery type twisties, as is the Jetbeam CLE. My CLE's worked OK except you had to keep the threads clean to prevent flicker which screwed up the mode switching.

They're not AAs, but all the Fenix AAA lights are spring loaded twisties and mine have been very reliable. The closest match to what you asked for is the (Fenix made) Civictor V1 which is one of my favorite lights. Unfortunately, it comes only in a Luxeon, is discontinued, and hard to find.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Hellbore

Enlightened
I haven't had trouble with contact issues on my Jetbeam C-LE battery crusher, BUT it does bother me that it will damage batteries if you screw the head in too tight. In fact, the negative contact in the tail is rather small and really dings the battery good. It makes me not want to use the light with any non-disposable battery :(

Norm

Retired Administrator
I believe all Peaks are the crush-your-battery type twisties, as is the Jetbeam CLE. My CLE's worked OK except you had to keep the threads clean to prevent flicker which screwed up the mode switching.
Only the pocket bodies are battery crushers, keyring bodies have a spring and piston arrangement.
Norm

cerbie

Enlightened
May I suggest the Inova X1? It's by no means a barn burner. Mine has been reliable. I have so many flakey clickies I don't go anywhere with out an X1 in my pants pocket as a back up. Super long runtime too. I think Matt at batteryjunction has em on sale. :)
Maybr 10-15 lumens for 2 hours is super-long? You must be thinking of another X1 (there were two others, BTW).