Cree/SSC USB Powered Flashie?

tobjectpascal

Banned
Anyone seen one, i've seen the cheap little 5mm LED's of about 0.02 lumens, I'm wondering if there's any more powerful ones out there. and by "powered" i don't mean plugin for light I mean something that recharges an internal battery inside the flashlight, you connect it to the computer (either just plug it in) and it charges the battery to full so no matter where you are you can charge it at the back of the computer if you're near/next to or using one.

an EDC with a little cap with the male connector to USB you can pull off instead of a tail cap you can screw off with maybe a twistie to turn it on or maybe some kind of button on the back or maybe side?...

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I think you could charge the Photon Rex off a USB port if you added a resistor in a little homemade charge adapter.

You can buy small NiMH chargers which operate of USB ports, so you can charge AA or AAA cells in that anywhere in the world off a standard USB port. The Energizer DUO comes to mind.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rex will according to LRI have a solar and USB charger sometime in the future. Unfortunately a lotta stores don't have them in stock and the ones that do may have some of the older, prone to overdischarge Rex.

Illum

Flashaholic
I prefer to build my own, buy a cheap gooseneck LED, cut the head off, crimp a small heatsink to the end by bending the fins around it.

the output is basically like the mule, and set your current limiting resistance to 350ma or you'll render all the USB slots on that bus useless.

I've once considered installing an extra bus and build a gooseneck heatsinked fan cooled LED that operates on one amp but I never got it to work before something starts burning from the heat:green:

keep in mind that
USB 1.1: +5V 250ma max
USB 2.0: +5V 500ma max
Any wattage exceeding these numbers may fry your USB bus or puts it into hard shutdown which you could reset by restarting

Last edited: