Streamlight Survivor LED / Supertac reflector with CREE XR-E

wechnivag

Newly Enlightened
Was experimenting if the streamlight reflector would work with a CREE XR-E. Was hoping to get a beam like that from a DBS/MRV/TIABLO reflector.

However, found that with the reflector right up against the base of the LED, there is still a hole in the beam, ie somehow need to get the XR-E deeper into the reflector. The square base doesn't fit in the reflector hole, so i was thinking, either round off the square base on the XR-E, or shave off the reflector end until i can get it in focus.

Before i permanently damage a emitter or a reflector, was wondering if anyone else had tried the same thing, and how did it turn out?

Suggestion and ideas welcome!!

Cheers!!

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree is a mistake in Luxeon reflector. Use SSC P4 for that.

wechnivag

Newly Enlightened
I have used a CREE to replace a Luxeon 3 in a NUWAI 3C light with great success, which is why i am keen to try this.

The Nuwai had a beam very similar to the Survivor/Supertac, a central very-hot spot, and a slightly larger hotish-spot that transitions smoothly into the spill.

With the CREE, its a very clear hotspot, which i like much more than the gradual transition. A more concentrated beam, basically.

"Cree is a mistake in Luxeon reflector. Use SSC P4 for that."
Is that from general principles, or has it been verified to suck in the Survivor reflector?

To clarify, I got some spare reflectors from Brightguy, trying to build a CREE based thrower around it. Not trying to put a CREE in the Survivor body..

Thanks!

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSC P4 has similar to K2 beam pattern (lambertian) while Cree has narrower viewing angle.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Is there the hotspot then a ring of light around it? I'm guessing not but if that is what you are describing then it's normal for Cree LEDs and smooth reflectors.

Do you know where the die of the Luxeon is when it is in the reflector? That is probably where the focal point is and where the LED should go.

wechnivag

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, for some reason i like the CREE rings more than the SSC hotspots...

Looks like i need to take about 1mm off the end of the reflector to get the CREE die in the focal pt...