Looking to Upgrade My EDC Light, L1D Q5, LD10, or D10....?

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Yeah, I know, another one of these posts....

But I really am experiencing a decision making disorder here.

Right now I have one of the older Fenix L1Ds. I am considering either upgrading to an L1D Q5 or LD10, or getting something somewhat different -- a Nightcore D10. I've had a number of Fenix lights over the years, and have been perfectly satisfied with them. However, the smaller size, one-hand interface, and infinitely variable brightness of the D10 are both appealing features. Also, I can't seem to find any L1D Q5s in black at the moment -- 4sevens.com only seems to have the olive finish. I prefer the black. So an LD10 may be my best Fenix choice at this point.

Anyone have both, and can give me some pros and cons to help me decide?

And before anyone says it, I don't think I'll be able to get both (or all three) at this time!

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened
I'm in a similar boat, and looking at the Fenix vs. NiteCore (P2D vs. EX10).

Try and get some beamshot comparisons on the models you like.
Talk to the people that have both and see if you can get real life usage opinions.
Then look at the UI of each.

This site has a good video on the Nitcore Smart PD interface.

From what I've found so far:

Fenix has better output/runtime according to light box tests. Not sure how much of a difference is noticed at distances.

NiteCore Smart PD is a better interface for me.

Not sure on beam patterns.

I would get a light that tailstands over one that does not.

Hope that helps a bit.

Jake

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Although I carry a D10 all the time I actually like the L1D UI better and also have a couple LD10's on the way, which I haven't had the chance to play with yet.

The reason I carry the D10 over the L1D is that I'm addicted to the extreme low setting available on the D10 and if Fenix would get a similar, or even lower setting, I would probably switch and start leaving my D10 at home.

What I like about the D10 is the nice high beam, extreme low, size/form, and complete body knurling.

But the UI on the L1D of low>med>high>sos; or with a twist of the head turbo high>strobe, is absolute perfection, particularly if they could speed up the sos function.

I find all the complaints about the annoyance associated with sos/strobe to be without merit, as there is no reason to run through those settings once you get used to this easy to use light. No memory means that it always comes on in the same order and is very easy to get used to. ;)

The initial setting pattern gives you the ideal EDC setup and the alternate gives you a tactical light. They killed two birds with one light here and only need to get a lower low setting to perfect the UI. If they could see fit to give it some knurling on the main body they'd have sales through the ceiling and be way too busy, which is the only reason I can think of for their not going ahead and doing so. :thinking:

If you really want black then I think you'd be very happy with the newer LD10 and since you also noted that the small size of the D10 was to your liking I think you may be down to deciding between Fenix or Nitecore UI and how much value you place in having a knurled body on the light.

reloader45

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I modded my L1D CE to accept CR 123 batteries. The result is the output of a L2D CE.
I am planning to replace the LED with a Cree Q5. But first I have to finish my work on the P1D CE.
The necessary preparations are done, just waiting for the Cree Q5 emitters to arrive.

Reloader 45

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a principle, I'm pretty much a trailing edge technology guy, especially where the trailing edge is an excellent product like the L1D-CE. As you can get them from 4seven's clearance for about $45 (with 10% off coupon) and the new technology replacements go for (I think) $65 and up, it's not even a question for me.

BTW, I do use a specialized light for bedside low-lows (VB-16 set at 0 for just a little glow), but I have no problem swallowing a light up in my fist so that only a little light leaks out when I need to be stealthy (rarely), and that usually takes care of it.

So, a +1 for the L1D...