Maglite solitare replacement

Rich_T23

Newly Enlightened
I recvently purchased a fenix L2D to reaplce my mini mag ( and bigger 2D cell mag) and ive been more than impressed with it so far, now im looking to replace my solitare with something a little bit more pwerful, ive seen a fenix AAA torch called a Lod, how does this compare to the mag lite solitare?

would it be tough enough to survive attached to a set of keys?
is it bigger/smaller than the maglite solitare? ive looked everywhere for comparison pictures, but i cant find any.

BrownDog52469

Newly Enlightened
It's perfect for a keychain light. Very bright for its size; blows the solitare out of the water. The L0D is shorter than the solitare and just a little bit bigger in diameter, but not much. I use mine for this very purpose and it works great. Go for it; you won't be disappointed.

jupello

Enlightened
Depending on what kind of light you are looking for Fenix E01 might be good replacement for solitaire too..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Numbers from flashlight reviews, runtimes are with alkaline batteries.

Soli:
106 lux at 1 m
around 1.6 lumen
11 minutes to 50%

L0D-CE(not the brighter Q4 version):
138 lux at 1m on medium
around 16-17 lumen
1 hour 30 minutes to 50%
61 lux at 1m on low
around 7 lumen
5 hour 30 minutes to 50%
400 lux at 1m on high
around 45-47 lumen
15 minutes to 50%

The Q4 version is around 25% brighter. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

There are stories of the light going through the wash without problem. The light itself should be fine with keychain use. The coating might wear off a bit quicker then you would expect though.

:welcome:

Art

Enlightened
I went for the L0D Q4... my MAG Solitaire was my partner for 15years but the L0D in low has 10times more light.. imagine in high.
The only thing I think the L0D is not perfect is the twist to close to turn on , it should be twist to open to keep the torch with better water protection.

Regards,

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag solitaire would probably outlast the L0D in terms of runtime but not output. Guess it depends on what your needs are. I chose to go for the Fenix E01, not too bad output but really long runtimes cos for occasions when i need brighter light, i have one of my other flashlights for that purpose.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Mag solitaire would probably outlast the L0D in terms of runtime but not output.

Solitaire runtime is 11 minutes to 50%.

I don't think a battery powered production light is made with a shorter runtime. I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime.

Art

Enlightened
Hope this help , just took some fotos of both:

MAGvsL0D1.JPG

Also my PQI pen drive :grin2:

MAGvsL0D2.JPG

MAG is a bit longer but thinner

MAGvsL0D3.JPG

And the comparison... both with 1,2v nimh 1000mah fully charged AAA... but L0D in low!
MAGvsL0D4.JPG

Now L0D in high and same settings in the camera that was in manual:

MAGvsL0D5.JPG

For more fotos just ask.:thumbsup:

Regards

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want crazy brightness (does have good runtime on low), go for the LOD, if you want crazy runtime (and is usefully bright) go for the E01.

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
I have friends that have pulled one out and they throw them away if you give them a 47cent fauxton. You do need a match to find the light.

There is no good fix for this light as far as I know.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several years ago I had the Maglite Solitaire. I remember I became quite impressed about the brightness for that small flashlight. But the evolution goes further...
Since some months ago I got the Fenix LOD. First impression was it's quite recalling of the Solitaire to the design and size. But not when talking about the brightness! Even the lowest mode is brighter than Solitaire. And the highest mode is far brighter than a standard Maglite 2D. Which is a flashlight I considered to be bright for a 2D-cell light.
I think Fenix LOD will be a great replacement for the Maglite solitare.

Thanks Art for the comparing pictures!

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Mag solitaire would probably outlast the L0D in terms of runtime but not output. Guess it depends on what your needs are. I chose to go for the Fenix E01, not too bad output but really long runtimes cos for occasions when i need brighter light, i have one of my other flashlights for that purpose.
Absolutely not; the Solitaire runs out of power just being in your pocket, or at least it seemed so to me the years that I carried one.

Having carried an L0D since March of this year I probably change batteries every other month.

The only thing I like better about the Solitaire is that it makes me nostalgic about the time I purchased it, but that goes away when I remember how disappointing it was every time it was dead when I really needed it to work.

Definitely buy an L0D and you will be happy. If you consider and E01 make sure you get to try one out first; I bought a couple for presents and will never do so again. I have bought numerous L0D's though and all recipients have been completely happy with them.

Art

Enlightened
amazing that 15 years ago I thought the Solitaire was so cool and bright for a tiny light.

:eek:

Me too , and what is funny is that I ended up here (forum) and buying lots of led flashlights because I turned on the MAG to see some partes of a cars engine and a friend pops up a 10€ 3 led mini flashlight and "kills" my Solitaire :mecry:
Now I pop the L0D and they just say "ohh a single led light..." then I turn it on and :eek: :laughing:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solitaire runtime is 11 minutes to 50%.

I don't think a battery powered production light is made with a shorter runtime. I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime.
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Seriously though, I had a Mag Solitaire on my keychain for over 10 years, and while it did give me a small sense of security..... it never gave me much light.

Thank goodness I found CPF and saw the light... literally! You've gotten some fine advice here. You can't go wrong with any of the lights mentioned.

If all you want is something a bit brighter and MUCH longer lasting than the Solitaire, at about the same price...... go for the Fenix E01. If you want a MAJOR increase in flexibility as well as brightness and don't mind paying a bit over $40, then go for the Fenix LOD Q4.

Of course, there are also quite a few other contenders in the 1xAAA arena these days, with a few nifty new ones coming out soon...... so you if you're not in a hurry, you might want to spend some time reading the review areas both here on CPF and at Light-Reviews.com.

I think you will find many wonderful little lights to choose from...... including some teeny-tiny little marvels that use teeny-tiny batteries but still put out amazing amounts of light. Enjoy the hunt!

BTW..... welcome to CPF!!! :welcome:

Rich_T23

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice, ive just ordered a L0D .
As for runtime its not a huge issue, the problem with my solitare is that ive often been out somewhere where a torch would come in useful, but i havent had a decent torch on me at the time, only the mag solitare which provides a light, but nothing that you can use as a torch to see well with.

I recently had a flat tyre, on a small narrow country lane at night, with my car parked in a rough gravel and mud bit on un even land and the only light i had avaialble was the mag solitare, it would have been somewhat easier ( and safer) if i could see what i was doing.

9 times out of ten i have my car keys on me, most of the time i wont have a torch or anything other than whats on my keys.

As for runtime, im not lookign for long term use, just something to get me out of trouble ( as in the case of the flat tyre above) , or something to provide a bit of light when needed, instead of a dull glow.